SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#148679 - 11/20/05 01:00 PM Re: Need Opinions On This Song (all opinions welcome good or bad)
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Nice composition work Squeak,
Personally I would make the strings less
prominent, but that is my personal taste.

It reminds also to some small pieces I made while testing the K2600.
If you like I can send them to you.
(If I can find them though as I forgot how I named them, but should be on my network somewhere.)

#148680 - 11/20/05 01:47 PM Re: Need Opinions On This Song (all opinions welcome good or bad)
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Good work Squeak,
I fell like I just shed all my concerns while listening to this beautiful music.
Thanks for sharing and best regards to you and your family.
Happy thanksgiving,
Bebop

#148681 - 11/20/05 04:27 PM Re: Need Opinions On This Song (all opinions welcome good or bad)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Freddynl,
It was my intent to have the strings louder. I dropped the piano track because I needed opinions on how the string section sounded. I didn't completely cut the piano part out so that members could get the idea as a whole.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#148682 - 11/21/05 12:12 PM Re: Need Opinions On This Song (all opinions welcome good or bad)
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Freddynl,
It was my intent to have the strings louder. I dropped the piano track because I needed opinions on how the string section sounded. I didn't completely cut the piano part out so that members could get the idea as a whole.

Squeak

Yes just saw it, sorry for that squeak, I was a bad reader overall yesterday

Anyway keep on composing

#148683 - 11/21/05 01:49 PM Re: Need Opinions On This Song (all opinions welcome good or bad)
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Ok honest opinions,

The arrangement musically is excellent, if not lacking a touch of expression. The cello sound you are trying to recreate has an almost constant volume level, perhaps more expression on the level to emulate the bowing would add more realism. Also there is a lack of fluidity between the interplay of the instruments. I would expect a tad more delay on the attacks, it sounds as though the notes are quantised and all seem to begin simultaneously.
Piano sound is very nice though, but too bright.. would be nice mellowed and a little bit softer. The string voices, despite lacking the rosin bowed character and woodiness of the real thing do have a stringy character which comes through, mainly through your excellent arrangement. A touch more vibrato would be nice and a little more reverb on the string voices.

Regards,
Simon

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!

#148684 - 11/21/05 03:48 PM Re: Need Opinions On This Song (all opinions welcome good or bad)
Quasar Offline

I think it's lovely. Reminds me almost of a syncopated Pachelbel's Canon in D. I can see why your 3 year old would like it, but it's nice for children of all ages!

I think the lossy format is more telling when you get into orchestral genres, and the .mp3 probably doesn't do this justice. I also wonder if the strings might stand out more fluidly if you used a virtual symphony such as VSL, Kirk Hunter, or Garritan's GPO.

Thanks for posting. Very sweet.

#148685 - 11/22/05 07:27 AM Re: Need Opinions On This Song (all opinions welcome good or bad)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Thanks for the comments.

Simon,
The entire thing was recorded in real-time. (No quantizing) The MP-3 conversion really deminished the quality of the string section. On the keyboard the custom slow cello, and slow violin I used had a clean bow sound. Also the volume level actually varied quite a bit with the cello and violin. The reason it sounds that way in the MP-3 is because I dropped the piano track to make the strings stand out more because I was wanting opinions on that.

Again thanks for the comments

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#148686 - 11/22/05 08:13 AM Re: Need Opinions On This Song (all opinions welcome good or bad)
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
It is nice, Squeak. I think it really needs to be longer so you have space to make it more varied.
Theodore

#148687 - 11/22/05 08:17 AM Re: Need Opinions On This Song (all opinions welcome good or bad)
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
When converting to mp3 use a minimum 192 bit rate, (160 if using WMA) any lower and the reduction in quality of the sound means you loose all the sound that you are trying to demonstrate in the song.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#148688 - 11/22/05 09:36 AM Re: Need Opinions On This Song (all opinions welcome good or bad)
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Squeaky guy, I finally got around to listening and I think it sounds very nice. You play very well. After you finish it, maybe someone COULD write some appropriate lyrics just for the fun of it. Stay with strings of some type, because I don't like Oboe!
DonM

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online