SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#14843 - 02/10/05 05:57 AM Genesys XP module
Peter UK Offline

Loc: UK
Hi US musos. I'm thinking of buying the new Genesys XP module. Not cheap...a whacking GBP1600!! but my old WX2 blew up a coupleof days ago & so need a replacement fast. I'm a busy wedding musician & play a mixture of solo piano, sequenced stuff, etc. I have loads of midi files in WX format. Will these play in the genesys. Does it still have a 3.5" floppy drive?
Cheers.

------------------
Peter

#14844 - 02/10/05 06:56 AM Re: Genesys XP module
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Peter,

The Genesys XP has an internal floppy disk drive, hard drive and CD burner.

The Genesys can of course play SMF's however I don't believe the WX song format is going to work in the Genesys. I don't have a WX series instrument in my office so I can't test this for you. If you would like to send one of your songs in WX format to me via e-mail I will try it in the Genesys and let you know. My e-mail is in my profile.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA

#14845 - 02/10/05 08:21 AM Re: Genesys XP module
Peter UK Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks Dave....I've emailed some files.....

Peter UK

#14846 - 02/10/05 02:16 PM Re: Genesys XP module
John R Offline

Loc: Victorville, California
Dave,
I play a midi accordion through a Roland ra800. Is this Genesys Xp something I could use? Roland has not come out with any new module yet. I live in the LA, Calif. area. Is there somewhere here I could see this in person?
Thanks,
John

#14847 - 02/10/05 02:33 PM Re: Genesys XP module
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by John R:
Dave,
I play a midi accordion through a Roland ra800. Is this Genesys Xp something I could use? Roland has not come out with any new module yet. I live in the LA, Calif. area. Is there somewhere here I could see this in person?
Thanks,
John

Hi John,

Generalmusic was established in 1890 in Italy and manufactured accordions. For years, GEM keyboards have included in their operating systems, special set-ups for MIDI accordions. So yes the Genesys XP would work great.

As for a store in LA, I am not sure. Let me check into this and I will get back in touch here.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA

#14848 - 02/10/05 09:58 PM Re: Genesys XP module
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
John,
I am the dealer in Los Angeles. I stock the Genesys Pro keybaord, the WK2 module, WK1 keyboard, and the Generalmusic Promega Pianos. I can order the Genesys XP module but it's price is a bit steep for stocking in my store. If you come in and try the Genesys and like it, I will be happy to order a Genesys XP module. The keyboard does the exact same thing.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
19369 victory blvd.
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

#14849 - 02/11/05 04:56 AM Re: Genesys XP module
John R Offline

Dave and George thanks for the replay. I live up in Victorville George and I will call you about coming down next week sometime.
Can you tell me how the Xp compares to the Roland ra800 in quality of sounds,live player friendly and styles, if you know?
Thanks.
John

#14850 - 02/11/05 06:53 AM Re: Genesys XP module
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
John,
I am the dealer in Los Angeles. I stock the Genesys Pro keybaord,
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
19369 victory blvd.
Reseda, California
818-881-5566

Hey George,

You beat me to it. I needed to get your address and was going to post you as the dealer but you are just too fast!

Thanks for jumping in.
---------------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by John R:
Can you tell me how the Xp compares to the Roland ra800 in quality of sounds,live player friendly and styles, if you know?

Hi John,

The quality of sounds and styles is quite subjective. Not to mention that since I work for GEM, it might appear that my opinion is slanted a bit, although I really don't do that type of thing.

Anyway, I have always thought Roland had good sounds and styles for the most part.

Several things to consider;
The Genesys has 256 Styles and an additional 64 User Style Locations as opposed to the RA800's 128 Styles and 8 User Styles.

Each of the 256 internal and user styles has the ability to store up to 8 Style Presets customized for each style. These Style Presets can store up to 6 layered sounds for live play, a left hand sound, sound assignments in the style, tempo, effects routings and parameters for live and style sounds, pedal and wheel assignments, keyboard harmony mode, volume levels of live and style sounds and more.

The large LCD on the Genesys very easy to read and the button layout is very easy to use. The buttons are spaced farther apart than on the RA800 and the frequently used buttons are larger making them easier to use in a live performance situation.

The Genesys has 256 Sound Presets and an additional 256 User Sound Presets. These presets are derived from over 1300 sounds from the Single Sound Mode. A Preset can consist of up to 6 layered sounds and a sound on the left hand side of the keyboard.

The sound engine in the Genesys is NOT based around the General MIDI Sound Set. The RA800 uses the GS sound set which is an upgraded version of the GM sound set. The Genesys does have several banks of GM sounds for playing SMF's, but not being locked into those sounds is a real advantage. A great feature in the Genesys’ operating system allows for the re-mapping of program changes in SMF’s to access the higher quality sounds in the Genesys sounds banks avoiding having to be stuck with the GM sound set.

The Genesys can not only playback SMF's but also has the ability to record up to 32 tracks using the internal 250,000 event sequencer with full editing capabilities.

The Genesys can store 1024 Memories compared to 192 in the RA800. Memories remember everything that Sound and Style Presets do with the addition of mic and line input settings, Vocal Genius settings (4 part vocal harmonizer), Programmable Pad assignments, etc.

The internal CD drive can playback standard audio CD's and MP3 encoded files from CD (great for break music or jamming along with music minus one CD's)

The internal hard drive can be used as a direct-to-disk digital audio recorder. Then a Red Book standard audio CD can be burned using the on-board CD burner.

Multiple pedal inputs can be assigned to many of the front panel functions.

S-Video and composite video output to display lyrics and/or lead sheets on an external television or monitor in addition to viewing on the internal LCD.

Please visit George Kaye to see and play the Genesys. And if you have any other specific questions about the Genesys, please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA

#14851 - 02/11/05 07:34 AM Re: Genesys XP module
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I will also chime in here as a dealer for Generalmusic, Ketron, Yamaha, Roland Korg and Casio that the quality of the Genesys styles are very live and real sounding compared to the RA800 which is now quite an "old" arranger product. You will have to hear the difference to understand my comments.
Please call before coming to the store so that I will be available for a demonstration.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

#14852 - 02/11/05 09:32 AM Re: Genesys XP module
John R Offline

Thanks guys! George I'll call you before coming down, and Dave if I have any more questions after meeting with George, I'll let you know

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online