SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#148454 - 03/23/05 09:26 AM OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
This is off, but I wanted to share it with you guys... (and gals)

I had a scary medical emergency yesterday evening that required me to call 911 for assistance. It really made me stop and realize I better change a few things in my life.

Last night for some odd reason my heart went crazy. My heart rate shot up to 240 beats per minute. No matter what I did I could not get it to go down. It was a very painful experience and when it first hit, it dropped me to the ground on my face. In all my heart rate was over 230 BPM's for over half an hour. I was home alone with my daughter (who scary enough was in the bath tub at the time). I finally was able to get myself up on my feet. I did a number of things to try and droy my heart rate. My wife came home from shopping and we decided a call to 911 was needed. They came by and finally got my heart rate down. Even though it dropped it was still hitting at 120 to 125 BPM's, and that's still a little high (but was way better than 240). I've had cardio problems in the past (and actually had a minor attack several years ago). I just want to let you guys and gals know that you can never be too careful, and they hit at any age. I'm considerably younger than many members here (but not the youngest). I've made a lot of changes since my last episode, but even all those changes weren't enough. Sometimes you don't realize how precious life is until you're almost on your way out.

Just wanted to share.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 03-23-2005).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#148455 - 03/23/05 09:30 AM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Squeak, get yourself checked out. Find the problem and get yourself back on track. I've let my conditioning slip since my heart attack almost 3 yrs ago. Luckily, everything else is working properly, but I can tell that my lungs and heart are not what they should (could) be. We've got to take care of ourselves. Thanks for the heads up; hope you're feeling better.

#148456 - 03/23/05 09:32 AM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
squeak_D Offline

Yeah I'm going to get myself checked out. Since last nights episode I've been a little short of breath today, and I still have some stiffness on the left side of my neck.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#148457 - 03/23/05 09:37 AM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I am sorry to hear this. I hope your feeling better. You are so young too. What would make your heart beat so fast?
Starkeeper

#148458 - 03/23/05 09:37 AM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I had something similar happen about 15 years ago... I'd been taking an antihistimine/decongestant for a week that you're only supposed to take like for four days. My heart rate took off and I had to go the hospital. They gave me a shot and a slap on the wrist and I was fine, and a little smarter.

#148459 - 03/23/05 09:40 AM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
squeak_D Offline

Many things can cause the increased heart rate. I tell you what though, a heart rate of 240 is something you'll never forget. What happens is that your heart is beating so fast that it doesn't have time to fill up with blood before before beating again.

Pro, that was the first question the EMT's asked me when they arrived was if I had taken any cold medications. The thing is I'm not currently on any medications, and haven't taken cold medicine for nearly five months.

Squeak

#148460 - 03/23/05 10:17 AM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Squeak.....Man take this as a warning...get your butt to a DR. and find out the cause of the high heart beat rate.....all they did last night was to treat the symptoms not the cause.....DON'T WAIT UNTILL IT'S TOO LATE and everyone is standing at your grave side
saying "he was a good man, if only he went to the Dr. he would still be with us". I hope that you fair well and listen to the advise of the Dr....I'm glad that you're still with us....
Tony

#148461 - 03/23/05 01:10 PM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Squeak,

Hang in there and get checked out. Let's hope they can figure out why this happened.

Tom

Tom

#148462 - 03/23/05 01:17 PM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Squeak,

Get your boney butt to an internist and cardiologist NOW! If your heart rate was 240 (6-beats per second), which is nearly immeasurable with anything other than an EKG machine, you were bordering on ventricular fibrulation, a condition that usually results in death within a few minutes. This is not something to think about for a day or two--this is something you take care of right away.

A person your age, in relatively good physical condition, should have a resting heart rate of 60 to 75 at most, and an average resting blood pressure of 120/70.

If you're reading this post, when you're finished get your boney butt on the phone and call your doctor and tell him what happened. Don't talk to his secretary or receptionist--talk to him or her. If the doctor is any good at all, he or she will have you diagnosed in the next few hours. Hesitate, procrastinate, put it off and this could be the last post you read.

Good luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#148463 - 03/23/05 02:20 PM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
jnuy1010 Offline

Loc: Selangor, Malaysia
Hi Squeak,
Since you already had a past medical history of ischemic heart disease and/or cardiac arrhythmias (irregular heart beats), it is really a must on your part to be under the care of Cardiologist. After thorough physical examinations and intensive laboratory investigations being conducted, you may need to take regular medications to prevent impending recurrent onset of cardiac irregularities and attacks. Undergoing balloon angioplasty (an operative procedure to dilate the narrowing of coronary arteries for blood to flow freely) or coronary artery bypass graft as a last resort can still be preventable if you are constantly under Cardiologist's treatment with regular check ups . Hope you are feeling better now.
From Jessie

#148464 - 03/23/05 02:39 PM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Squeak, we are about the same age and, if I was you, I wouldn't even take the time to post, I would go STRAIGHT to the doctor, no calls or other niceties.
The only thing that should be going on 240 bpm in your house is the drum machine you bought.
Hope it is not serious and it doesn't have any lasting effects on you.
Get well soon,
Theodore

#148465 - 03/23/05 03:19 PM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
How did the EMS people leave without taking you to a hospital ER??? ...
squeak, as everyone else has said GET YOURSELF CHECKED OUT, NOW!!!
t.

#148466 - 03/23/05 03:44 PM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
I have had an aicd (automatic implantable cardioverter defibrillator for the last 3 years and it had never been needed. except for it's normal pacing, until the end of January I had an episode. My heart rate got up to 270 before when my aicd charged up and fired a shock to my heart that I'll never forget. I was essentially fine after that. Went to see my doctor etc.
Anyways, If I had not had that working aicd in my chest I would not be writing this now. I'd be dead.

Squeek, Don't waste any time! Get to a cardiologist as soon as you can!!!

I will be praying for you, and please keep us informed. Ok Buddy?
Take care!

------------------
The old Newb

#148467 - 03/23/05 04:36 PM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
squeak_D Offline

Thanks for everyone's concerns. The problem is that my wife's insurance at her work (currently) is too high for us to get. (of course my daughter is the only one we have insurance for at the moment). She has a federal job, and she's been working it for nearly 6 months now. However since she's only been there for 6 months, the insurance for US is VERY VERY VERY expensive, and the coverage isn't all that great. She'll be eligable for the good stuff this fall.

tony mads, The EMT's were trying everything they could to get me to go to the hospital, but that alone would have run us several thousands of dollars just for the ER trip and tests. I signed a waiver before they left saying they suggested I go, but refused. Just having the ambulance come over and perform their tests is going to cost me over $400.

I do know this problem is serious, and possibly yesterday's event was an early warning for something bigger coming. That's why given our current situation with medical insurance I've prepared my wife in the event of the big one hitting. When I was 23 years old I was working in a nursing home as a "certified nursing assistant", so I do have some medical training. I'm currently teaching my wife how to take vital signs and how to perform a manual blood pressure reading. This way in the event that something big happens over the next few months she'll be able to give the EMT's a head start by knowing my vitals.

Again, thanks everyone for your concerns. I'm just going to have to take it one step at a time until we can get the full coverage insurance from her work. I do have a good life insurance policy on myself, and my main conern is my baby girl. All medical coverage is currently on her. I've lived a good portion of my life already, and she's just starting Of course I want to be there to see her grow up, but what can I do right now?

Squeak

#148468 - 03/23/05 04:53 PM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Squeak, really sorry to hear of your bout last night (must have been really scary). I'm no expert on the subject but I know of a friend (in her late twenties) who suffered from a panic-anxiety disorder which produced similar symptoms. She would frequently wake up in the middle of the night (and out of nowhere) her heart would begin beating wildly for no explainable reason whatsoever. This would last an hour or longer and then subside. It was discovered by her doctors after extensive tests that her physical health (& heart) was fine, but that she was actually experiencing severe panic-anxiety attacks. Interestingly enough she was not conscious of an specific anxiety-worry at the onset of the attack. Thru treatment & therapy, she now no longer experiences panic attacks. Squeak, I'm certainly not suggesting this is the case with you, but it's one possibility to consider when you discuss this with your doctor. Here a link to more on panic attacks & axiety disorder: http://www.anxietypanic.com/

Squeak, I hope you are able to get to the bottom of the problem. Good luck.

Scott

#148469 - 03/23/05 06:15 PM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Thanks for everyone's concerns. The problem is that my wife's insurance at her work (currently) is too high for us to get. (of course my daughter is the only one we have insurance for at the moment). She has a federal job, and she's been working it for nearly 6 months now. However since she's only been there for 6 months, the insurance for US is VERY VERY VERY expensive, and the coverage isn't all that great. She'll be eligable for the good stuff this fall.

tony mads, The EMT's were trying everything they could to get me to go to the hospital, but that alone would have run us several thousands of dollars just for the ER trip and tests. I signed a waiver before they left saying they suggested I go, but refused. Just having the ambulance come over and perform their tests is going to cost me over $400.

I do know this problem is serious, and possibly yesterday's event was an early warning for something bigger coming. That's why given our current situation with medical insurance I've prepared my wife in the event of the big one hitting. When I was 23 years old I was working in a nursing home as a "certified nursing assistant", so I do have some medical training. I'm currently teaching my wife how to take vital signs and how to perform a manual blood pressure reading. This way in the event that something big happens over the next few months she'll be able to give the EMT's a head start by knowing my vitals.

Again, thanks everyone for your concerns. I'm just going to have to take it one step at a time until we can get the full coverage insurance from her work. I do have a good life insurance policy on myself, and my main conern is my baby girl. All medical coverage is currently on her. I've lived a good portion of my life already, and she's just starting Of course I want to be there to see her grow up, but what can I do right now?

Squeak

Squeak!!!!! Do you really mean to tell me that you want to put a price on your life and living...Man, money is just money, I should think that you would place a higher value on your life...you say that you want to be there to see your daughter grow up, then DAM-IT do it...there is enough social services and health subsidies that could off-set some of the cost or extend it out over a
period of time...are you a vet? check with some of the hospitals...SORRY for speaking so blunt Squeak, however I think that you better rearrange your priorities my friend...
don't think about training your wife or your life insurance...think about HANGING AROUND and taking care of your family by living a long life with them...maybe we should as a forum see about being able to by a group policy that would be reasonable...Hell, we must have a few thousand members, that should count for something...Nigel, is there any way to check it out???? Meanwhile Squeak,
get your a$$ to a Dr. and pay him later..hell
the illegal immigrants do it....

#148470 - 03/23/05 07:22 PM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Squeak,
I have been there, I understand, it is frightening. It repeated from time to time over a period of three years.
The time was stressfull, it was in the middle of my seperating with my wife. I was shown some methods of controling the heart beat. And I do not mean for you to handle your won problem -- get help -- get into understanding YOU!

I agree with "get to a doctor". I did get my heart under control, but not before I realized I was the cause. I guess you might say, it's not what my heart is doing to me, but what I am doing to it!!

#148471 - 03/23/05 07:32 PM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Your far too young Man! Im glad your "ok" but you should do something about it! Its a very serious matter, I know from my stepdad who had sudden cardiac arrest, luckly he didnt die, but even so its very hard to go through. Although I know getting it checked out is exspensive, waiting may be wise financially, but its something you may need to fork some money over no matter what the price. Wish you the best and only the best.

Phil

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 03-23-2005).]

#148472 - 03/23/05 08:28 PM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
zuki Offline

Squeak,
The heart does this to unexpected people. It is an electrical imbalance. It is not fatal. If it happens again, you are to pour ice cold water on your face, neck, etc., as to shock it to a regular beat until emergency medical assistance arrives. Another tactic is to hold your breath as long as possible and exhale hard. What meds do in extreme case is to medically stop and restart the heart to its proper rhythym. It is very scary.
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#148473 - 03/23/05 09:25 PM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
Vquestor Offline

Squeak,
Glad to hear you are better.
Perhaps you can look into a county hospital
near you that will not be that expensive.
You really should have a cardiologist look at
you.
I remember I use to have a heart rate monitor
I received as a gift, for physical fitness (increasing cardiovascular endurance). It was some kind of band that went under your arms around your chest, and had a wireless wristwatch that gave a heart rate readout.
Perhaps you can get something like that to
keep a watch on your heartrate.

#148474 - 03/23/05 10:57 PM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Hi Squeak:

I concur with Tony Rome completely.

Even if not for your sake -- do it for your wife and your daughter. I'm sure they'll be happy to have you around a little longer. The time to get medical insurance is now. As it is, neglecting to get it in the past is probably going to cost you as I'm sure they'll take a look at your immediate past medical history. But if you wait longer, it will just get more expensive.

And I don't understand your logic. I'm not trying to be rude - in fact if I didn't really care I wouldn't say anything at all.

You say that you are teaching your wife how to read the vital signs. What on Earth will that help you if you're having a heart attack and you're going to send aways the EMTs again?!?! I mean if you're in a real heart attack you'll have two choices: go to the hospital and pay or die. If its the latter, why are you even teaching the signs to your wife. If its the former, you can only SAVE by buying medical insurance.

I will say a prayer for you in the morning. I hope you do get better. This forum is a community and we don't want to see anyone leaving -- even for a better place

Chony

#148475 - 03/24/05 12:08 PM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Squeak!
I'm glad to hear that you're okay after this shock!!!
There were many people who died by a heart beat of 180 and upper - YOU GOT 240!!!!!!!!!!
Please, be smart and listen to the good advices of the experienced!

...and get well soon!!!
Danny

#148476 - 03/24/05 12:25 PM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
squeak .... ERs HAVE to take you even if you do not have the ability to pay .... get the medical treatment you need and you can spend the rest of your life paying it off ... at least you will still have a LIFE ... I've got a number of years on you and by no means am I going to take the attitude "I've lived a good portion of my life already ..... "
There is an old saying "To the world you are one person, but to one person you may be the world" ... What ever it takes, get the proper medical attention NOW !!!
t.

#148477 - 03/24/05 02:34 PM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Everyone seems to be referring to your age. I'm curious... how old are you?

#148478 - 03/26/05 09:44 PM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
Mosiqaar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
Hi Squeak, glad to hear you got out of that one alive. I don't think I have anything to add to what has been said so far, but I agree with everyone about having insurance.

If its too expensive now, put it on a "no interest for 1 year" credit card offer
(plenty of those if you have good credit, try 'bank one' or 'capital one' or 'chase'). This way for a few months until your wife's insurance gets better coverage and less payment, all you have to do is pay the minimum payment on your credit card (which is usually very low) and you will have a year (or what ever months the credit card gives you) to make better plans and hopefully by then you will be elgible for better insurance plan from your wife's job.

Best of luck!

[This message has been edited by Mosiqaar (edited 03-26-2005).]

#148479 - 03/27/05 02:39 AM Re: OT: I had a scary medical emergency last night!!!!!!
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
don,t take this the wrong way but,,,,are you a man or a mouse(squeak-d)?don,t worry about the cost,get your priorities right, you have too many people who CARE for you and RELY ON YOU,ACT NOW you will be glad you did, you only get ONE life,mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online