SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#148290 - 10/29/05 07:29 AM PSR 3000 usb question
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I see that the 3k supports USB and smart Media. Both of my smart media cards that I used to use with the Motif ES went bad on me, so now I only use one of my 2 usb thumb drives to store and transfer data with it.

From reading the specs, I don't see that the USB function on the 3k supports the use of USB storage devices but allows transfer of data to a smart media card. My question is.. Can you use a USB storage device with it ?

I'm not sure why I'm asking, mainly curiosity I guess, because I've pretty much ruled out the 3k as an option, unless it's keys feel better than the keys on the 1500 that I demoed yesterday.

AJ

#148291 - 10/29/05 07:34 AM Re: PSR 3000 usb question
Dnj Offline

Bluzplayer....You can use the SmartCard OR a Thumbdrive for file transfer on the 3k which is very convienient.......
If your interested email me ....I might have a great deal for ya on a nice 3K in a week or two..

#148292 - 10/30/05 01:50 PM Re: PSR 3000 usb question
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I'm using a 20Gb external hard disc unit that takes power from the 3k via the USB cable.

The USB on the 3k supports most simple USB devices, so long as they don't use a custom driver.

Therefore it wasn't a shock to find it won't recognise my Pocket PC Dell Organiser as a USB hard drive, for example, which would have been rather cool as a backup device!

Most thumbdrives should be fine, even USB2 ones (although they will work as USB1 speed, which is still more than enough for midi file playback).

To be totally sure it is best to format (initialise) blank media using your 3k rather than (say) a PC.

#148293 - 10/30/05 06:50 PM Re: PSR 3000 usb question
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Most PSR-3000 users keep their SmartMedia cards in the drive bay and use it similar to a hard drive. They are too fragile to remove repeatedly and easily damaged. However, the USB Thumb Drives are extremely rugged and can be readily used as a transport device to transfer data from your computer to the SmartMedia Card.

The USB Thumb Drives, Jump Drives, etc, must be formated in FAT-- NOT FAT32. They can be formatted in your PC or in the keyboard itself.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#148294 - 10/30/05 07:09 PM Re: PSR 3000 usb question
church Offline

Loc: Fremont,CA.
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
I see that the 3k supports USB and smart Media. Both of my smart media cards that I used to use with the Motif ES went bad on me, so now I only use one of my 2 usb thumb drives to store and transfer data with it.

From reading the specs, I don't see that the USB function on the 3k supports the use of USB storage devices but allows transfer of data to a smart media card. My question is.. Can you use a USB storage device with it ?

I'm not sure why I'm asking, mainly curiosity I guess, because I've pretty much ruled out the 3k as an option, unless it's keys feel better than the keys on the 1500 that I demoed yesterday.

AJ
I have a JaMedia Smart media (for my 3000) 128MB about $50.00,did like that price,but in the bottom right cornerof the packet it said Lifetime warranty,it's a Deikin Device Product.I leave mine in the slot too,from Gary's advice.I read some where was said not to leave in slot for long period of time with power on,or power plugged in? Use a 512MB thumb drive,also Gary's advice,love this man,full of info.If he don't know the answer,he will get it.Take care
Ron

[This message has been edited by church (edited 10-30-2005).]

#148295 - 10/30/05 10:55 PM Re: PSR 3000 usb question
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Thanks for the replies guys. Thanks for the offer too Donny.

Having used both types of media in the Motif, I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment Gary. I'd prefer not having to rely solely on a smart media card.

AJ

#148296 - 10/31/05 04:36 AM Re: PSR 3000 usb question
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
The PSR3000 has formatted my 20 gig external harddrive as a single partition using FAT32.

I suspect that the critical part about media formatting is that it should be done by the 3k and not by a PC.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online