SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 14 15 >
Topic Options
#148162 - 07/09/07 10:53 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Do you check what is being done with the laptop first, as it may be just supplying sounds (Triggered by the Midi outs of the keyboard as the artist plays the notes) from various VST instruments, and so is just expanding the sound pallet available on his keyboard.
There are many other things a laptop can do for the musician as well, so don’t assume that it is just for pre-recorded backings.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

Good points Bill....dont judge a book by its cover

#148163 - 07/09/07 11:06 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Russ, I only use the laptop to hold lyrics files, and sometimes to play music while I'm on break. I can remember hundreds of song lyrics, but I have many hundreds for which I need a security blanket.
Back to the thread, I don't care who thinks I'm cheating or not cheating. If they are in the audience, it means I'm working and they're not!
DonM

Don you sound a little on the defensive when the LT question is asked........

I'm a multi talented entertainer....& proud of it....I can play arranger & sing my ass off with the best of them & as a pro singer will also perform with SMF & with my own MP3 backing tracks on a LAP TOP without playing at all when I go walk out into an audience to whooo the ladies singin....
Man if you ain't doing it all your missing out on some real satisfaction when you feel the charge of the Live audience up close & personal.....in the same fashion as Russ would walk out on a Laptop musician of which I could never understand...but on the other hand I would leave purists at the door & do my thing baby. Country , Disco, Rock, Latin, Ballroom, bring it ALL on Im ready for ya....with all MY Music makin Tools Oh Yeah!!!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-09-2007).]

#148164 - 07/09/07 11:10 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
AMEN!!!

#148165 - 07/09/07 11:31 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Fran Carango Offline

For the most part..the people that knock a laptop, are the same people that never used one...
and do not have a clue..how it can aid in a great show...
You can play just as much as you do now...Just keeps things organized..

Also allows you to tackle tunes..you couldn't possibly pull off with your two hands , and two feet..

As mentioned, not only for sequence playback, but your own backing tracks with harmony via MP3...Lyrics for us folks that can't remember..
And as Bill mentioned..it is our sound source to play better sounds than on our arranger boards[excluding my G70]

Here is another example....Last night at our new gig in a popular spot in Wildwood...we[I] had guest[unexpected], that came on stage[they asked first, but how can we say No]...
The first guy , was a fella named Valli, he seems to be popular..I think he is associated with the Four Seasons .
He came on stage with a super hot lady...carrying his own track playback unit that the young lady operates..She also controlled volumes [after I showed her the controls]..

The next guest..were the Intruders..they were great..BTW without my laptop, none of this would have been possible...None of this was planned, but this show went off like it was rehearsed..

The third act was our local doo wop group the Aquanets..They also did a great job..

Then the fun began...Valli and the Intruders did Four season stuff ..The intruders did their own spin with harmonies..

Then it was Valli, Intruders , Aquanets, and also the best trio in Wildwood[Just in Time.]

I had to mix so many mics ..I worked my butt off for 4 solid hours...

Laptops have their place...believe me..

#148166 - 07/09/07 11:38 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Fran sounds like a fun time for sure.....
If I wasnt on a gig myself last night I would have shot down for the show.....last time I sw Frankie was on the Sopranos

Fugeddabouttit !

#148167 - 07/09/07 11:44 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Isn't that what they call karaoke? backing tracks?

#148168 - 07/09/07 11:46 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

same thing Mike most of mine are customized & I can really sing .............
It all depends on the gig ....I play so many different kinds of gigs without versatility you'd be sitting home crying in your beer that you'd wish you did it all.....dont get me wrong I love a night of just playing Piano cocktail music Sinatra, Bennett, standards & slow Bossa......but I also love to power it up for a full blown 500 PP wedding with pounding disco & Rock N Roll too & everything in between like a night of Latin ballroom dancing, I love it all after all I could have a "REAL" job...... .....you better have a good bag of tricks or your Circus will have only ONE Ring instead of THREE!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-09-2007).]

#148169 - 07/09/07 11:50 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Fran Carango Offline

Mike , the backing tracks just allow you to leave the band home..where in the world would I have added any more people last night

Valli, 4 Intruders, 4 Aqunets, and 3 Just in Time...

#148170 - 07/09/07 02:20 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
No,no, no, I agree with you I've been a Dj and a KJ, as well as a live musician for over 40 years, I say use whatever gets the job done.

But I laugh at the guys that use all that stuff but then say they hate karaoke or hate DJ's, it's all entertainment, and THE ENTERTAINER is the most important part of that.
I've been doing midi since before GM and before you could find them for free on the 'net. I remember buying them for 10 bucks apiece,you got a deal if you bought more. Midi hits, tran tracks.
But if I'm going out I want a live band over a midi band. (Unless Valli shows up!)
But us musicians are harder to please I guess.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 07-09-2007).]

#148171 - 07/09/07 02:22 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I know Don is great at what he does. I'm sure others are as well. My problem is, all of the people I've seen using a laptop use it as a crutch...couldn't play their way out of a wet paper bag. They're all style and no substance. The show's the thing, and that's not necessarily bad, but for me, there's got to be more than fluff. That may work most of the time, but not for me, ever. I won't do it and I won't listen to it. Everyone has a style and a preference. I'm not trying to sell my approach as the only correct one, but I will support my decision by comparing my work schedule and lifetime income with anyone who would like to do so. Fran, it's only my preference, but I wouldn't stay for a Frankie Vali or Do Wop act...just not interested!

Again, this is ONLY my preference. I don't want to listen to disco, country, hear banter, etc., and I won't participate either as a player or as a listener.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Russ

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 14 15 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online