SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 14 15 >
Topic Options
#148152 - 07/09/07 06:45 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
True, Donny. I've been fortunate to have had a very good music education: theory, counterpoint, harmony and classical organ. I wasn't exactly into classical organ but it was all they had until they opened a theatre organ class. I'm happy that I had the education, though, for it taught me a lot, especially to have a very good independent LH (a must for playing counter melodies) and PD (both feet).
My main problem is that I am pretty much helpless when it comes to technology.

#148153 - 07/09/07 07:38 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Only use the arranger sparingly, and won't use anything but styles. I walk out of a restaurant or other venue if I see a laptop on the bandstand.

No statement here about what's right or wrong...just letting people know the way I handle it.

This approach might not work for different venues or players, but I've worked 51 years now as the top paid person in the area with only 9 weeks off.

Works for me!

Russ

#148154 - 07/09/07 08:36 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Only use the arranger sparingly, and won't use anything but styles. I walk out of a restaurant or other venue if I see a laptop on the bandstand.

Russ

Do you check what is being done with the laptop first, as it may be just supplying sounds (Triggered by the Midi outs of the keyboard as the artist plays the notes) from various VST instruments, and so is just expanding the sound pallet available on his keyboard.
There are many other things a laptop can do for the musician as well, so dont assume that it is just for pre-recorded backings.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#148155 - 07/09/07 08:36 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Be true to yourself. If you feel that making music a certain way is wrong, then don't do it. As far as your audience is concerned, at least the average audience folks, they couldn't care less whether the music is Tivo-ed, midi-ed or whatever. They simply want to be entertained. Give them good music with a good arrangement, the right kind of music for the venue and audience, put your heart into it, and they'll be happy and so should you.

Glenn

#148156 - 07/09/07 09:06 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Cassup, trust me, I was being facetious and know that there are many fine musicians on this board. But sometimes when you see a subject that has been discussed SO many times before (always without resolution), the devil just encourages you to throw something out there that's guaranteed to get a knee-jerk response. Please don't ever take me too seriously.

chas

No offense taken, Chas. I love being the devil's advocate, so I understand when others do the same.

#148157 - 07/09/07 10:17 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Russ, I only use the laptop to hold lyrics files, and sometimes to play music while I'm on break. I can remember hundreds of song lyrics, but I have many hundreds for which I need a security blanket.
Back to the thread, I don't care who thinks I'm cheating or not cheating. If they are in the audience, it means I'm working and they're not!
DonM

#148158 - 07/09/07 10:25 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
captain Russ Offline

Don, I don't use a lap-top for lyrics, I just screw them up!

Oh well,

R.

#148159 - 07/09/07 10:31 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Russ,
BTW, the wedding is over, so I'll be able to install OS on the G70 and get it shipped to you in the next couple of days.
DonM

#148160 - 07/09/07 10:34 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
captain Russ Offline

Hey, Bill...really doesn't matter what they are used for...I just don't like laptops on bandstands...nothing more than that. Everyone should do what's comfortable. I do, and I avoid what I don't like. That's the good thing about getting older. You can be obnoxious as hell and no one can do a damn thing about it!

Russ

#148161 - 07/09/07 10:41 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
captain Russ Offline

Thanks, Don. No hurry. Give the kids my best. Would have played "another one bites the dust" if asked!

R.

Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 14 15 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online