SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
#148272 - 07/21/07 10:57 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
are we "cheating"?..it's just semantics, isn't it? it really doesn't matter if we call it cheating or not, we do it. e.g.... -instead of playing an acoustic piano, we play a digital keyboard with a synthesized or sampled piano sound. even if we do only this, isn't it cheating? we are in effect telling the audience: listen to us play the piano, and we are not playing a piano. but this is the very thinnest line, we might make the case we are playing the same way we would play a piano..same for rhodes..and a bit further removed for organ, but still in the ballpark: similar keyboards played with the fingers. -but let's move a step further: instead of vibes, instead of marimba, etc..we are playing a synthesized or sampled version of those instruments. we are still working with keyboard-style instruments but we are using our fingers, not mallets. we are cheating a bit more, are we not? -now we move to guitars, strings, hand percussion, etc: still played with the hands but those instruments are not keyboard-based. so we are now cheating even more. -heavy "cheating" now: wind instruments!!! how do we justify playing those on a kb? we are not using our breath or lips at all! we are going down the slippery slope. aaaargh!! -a huge leap: drum machines in our kb's. wow, how far will we go? is this not the end of western civilization as we know it????? -Ok now, enough is enough: whole backgrounds with bass lines, brass riffs, etc, etc... intros, outros, fills, pads, fades. Arrest these impostors!! where are the arranger police when you need them? -sequencing. biab, smf's: Oh No!!!! where did it all start, this descent into hell? when we started using portable piano substitutes?no, we must return to the source. which is--the early music keyboards PLUCKED the keys. it was nice, quiet, austere, pure. THEN---the devil invented that giant noisy instrument with hammers that STRUCK the strings, and with a pedal to create a totally artificial sustain, no less. CHEATING!!!that, my friends, was the beginning of the end. seriously, does anyone believe that the audience doesn't know you aren't playing a piano? a rhodes? an organ? vibes? strings? winds? does anyone think the audience believes there is a dwarf playing drums inside your amp? or a big band of elves? or that the audience thinks or cares if you personally programmed every beat and personally synthesized every sound and personally created every arrangement? aside from the fact they would be impressed if you told them that. -you can refer to the least sophisticated audience you like: abilities being equal, they will prefer a duo or trio to a solo performer. they will prefer a better solo musician (one who makes the music come alive) to one who is a stiff mechanic. we who play arrangers should concern ourselves with improving our musicianship no matter what tools we use..the issue of CHEATING is a non-issue. IMHO

------------------
Miami Mo

#148273 - 07/21/07 11:05 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
keysvocalssax Offline

sorry my posts now have no breaks. when i was using safari w/my mac i had a problem of uneven lines..now i'm using firefox and it's not following my format: i use paragraphs and skip space for them but now everything just runs on..anyone have a clue?

------------------
Miami Mo

#148274 - 07/21/07 11:39 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
sorry my posts now have no breaks. when i was
using safari w/my mac i had a problem of
uneven lines..now i'm using firefox and it's
not following my format: i use paragraphs and
skip space for them but now everything just runs on..anyone have a clue?

Maybe you're too longwinded?

chas

#148275 - 07/21/07 12:24 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
keysvocalssax Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles: Maybe you're too longwinded? chas
that's it..thanks for your contribution.

#148276 - 07/21/07 12:42 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:

that's it..thanks for your contribution.

I do what I can.

chas

#148277 - 07/21/07 12:43 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cgiles Offline

Mo, don't be so thin-skinned. I'm just pulling your chain.

chas

#148278 - 07/21/07 03:00 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
...I was able to record us live on several different days to an ADAT. This allowed me to fly the tracks into the computer, and line them up virtually sample accurate, because the tempos were the same each time!
So I was able to take the rhythm guitar parts from different days, and pan them out to the corners, and have double tracked rhythm guitar (when the song sounded good with it), and have a choice of different solos, from myself and my guitarist, to choose from, and pick the best one for each song, and sometimes a little doubled harmony.....

Impressive - not cheating at all, but added creativity ...

#148279 - 07/21/07 04:31 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by pasadoble:
Diki...I think your problem of not really accepting arrangers as a legitimate performing tool comes from a deep seated doubt about your own personal musical abilities! you've convinced yourself that if you play an arranger keyboard your not as good as a musician performing in a live
band.
I on the other hand recognise that arrangers have a place in the
performers arsenal and I happy to use one with absolutely no qualms, criticism of
them and hang-ups about using them. I am a highly confident musician and can
play anything in any situation be it in a live band or on an arranger...and
may I say I also mix both together too where I perform in a duo where I mute
all the parts except the drums and the bass is played by a live bass
player, I handle all the keyboard and we both sing...I have to ask you because I find you and your points of
view on arrangers fascinating...when do you consider the use of an arranger
keyboard in a live situation ''Not Cheating'' ??? If I add a guitar or horn part does it immediately become cheating ??

You see being a pro musician requires you to adapt to changing trends and you personally have got to lose that 'oh my god I'm ( and most of the players on this forum) using an auto-accompaniment keyboard I (they) must be inferior to someone playing keyboard in a live band' or unable to carry themselves in a live band' attitude.

If your comfortable with yourself as a musician and you know you have the
abilities for playing piano, keyboard and organ to a high standard be it
live or arranger, I can assure you, you will not be as critical of arrangers
and their use as is obvious from viewing
your acidic and confused ratings....you harp on about the joy of working with other musicians...I personally feel that with arrangers its man and machine working in perfect harmony together...yes it can be done...if you have the prior musical ability to achieve it...have you got it Diki...have 'YOU' got it!

[This message has been edited by pasadoble (edited 07-21-2007).]

Ah.... when in doubt, personally attack the poster...

If ignorance is bliss, let me make you less happy... I use arrangers (and have been doing so for 15 years or more) in pretty much ALL my live performance work, whether solo duo, or even with a full band. I have absolutely no qualms about using them. I find them to be far more practical keyboards for live work that most workstations. I never apologize to anyone for using one, and to be honest, after hearing me play, I have NEVER had anyone ever come up to me and disparage me for using an arranger...

I have not claimed once any of the complete rubbish you just posted (you might try actually reading my posts, instead of reading INTO my posts what you want to). No-one is inferior if they use an arranger (or if they are, I am too!).

BUT... having played with musicians like Steve Gadd, Bernard Purdie, Luther Vandross, Jon Bon Jovi, Eric Gale, and many others (I'm not as worried about my abilities as you think!), there is no way that I can ever claim my arranger is better than a good live band. But if you feel better about yourself comparing yourself to mediocrities, have at it. Whatever works.

#148280 - 07/21/07 05:05 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Wow, Diki, those are some pretty impressive names.

You must be a terrific player to be rubbing shoulders with these guys.

What I don't understand, is why you play in a duo with a relatively unknown guitarist when you could be working in other more lucrative situations that would be more fitting of a player of your calibre.

I'm sure you have your reasons for staying in relative obscurity, but you must occasionally long for more a more prestigious(and lucrative) position with an established artist.

Ian

#148281 - 07/21/07 05:23 PM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Thanks, Ian...

Actually, most of those names came from my session player years in NYC, but unfortunately, having been raised on a small farm in England, it soon became apparent that I am no big city guy! I have a lot of discomfort dealing with big city problems, crime, traffic, the dog eat dog attitude in the business in large cities (in my area, someone falls sick we do a benefit - in NYC they call up his bandleader and see if they can get his gig!), so I hit the road and moved down to the resort areas in Florida.

There are actually some VERY good players down here, and I get out and jam on a very regular basis with as many good live bands as I can. We have a blossoming studio scene down here (actually, just one real pro facility in my small town, SSL based, etc.) but we have several national acts that record here (had the #1 Christian act record here), so I get to do my thing at a gentler pace, enjoy the beach, and not get mugged as often

Yeah, sometimes I miss the big names, but not all the sessions were as fun. It's still a job, no matter who you play with! HOW you live, where you live, are a lot more important than who you play with. I'd rather be content in obscurity that miserable with my name in lights...

Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 12 13 14 15 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online