SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15 >
Topic Options
#148142 - 07/09/07 03:46 AM Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Of course not...to me its all about a personal form a creating music...anyone that says otherwise will need to explain otherwise.
In this high tech world there's just too much gear out there to create music......who's right or wrong?

#148143 - 07/09/07 04:01 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Although this topic has been done to death (wish they'd bring out a new arranger so we'd have something to talk about), I'll give you the definitive answer; YES. It is your way of telling the world that you can't hack a solo piano gig.

Opinions may vary .

chas

#148144 - 07/09/07 04:26 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
And what about those who could hack a solo piano job but still choose to use arrangers or SMFs? I think the answer is a big NO. Styles, file and programs are creative tools. Just because I choose to make my music sound more like a band than a solo doesn't lessen my skills. Guitar players use drum machines and looping machines and effects; it's no different.

#148145 - 07/09/07 04:47 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
zuki Offline

No. Even though there is prerecorded music playing along, at least we are contributing in our own way, in some fashion. Depending on how much creativity one uses, it is TOTAL talent - very few can do.

Now Karaoke is a different story

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#148146 - 07/09/07 04:53 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cgiles Offline

Cassup, trust me, I was being facetious and know that there are many fine musicians on this board. But sometimes when you see a subject that has been discussed SO many times before (always without resolution), the devil just encourages you to throw something out there that's guaranteed to get a knee-jerk response. Please don't ever take me too seriously.

chas

#148147 - 07/09/07 04:56 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
cgiles Offline

BTW, on an ARRANGER KEYBOARD board, do you really expect to get any answer other than "no, it's not cheating".

chas

#148148 - 07/09/07 05:29 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy

#148149 - 07/09/07 05:31 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
BTW, on an ARRANGER KEYBOARD board, do you really expect to get any answer other than "no, it's not cheating".

chas

Oh course.....there are some who in purist circles feel anything but playing styles is cheating, faking or whatever they want to call it which is totally ridiculous especially when you analyze what is actually being done when playing an arranger KB. I do it all on stage every day play &/or sing w/styles,smf,mp3's & I laugh at naysayers .......I'm entertaining audiences with tools of the trade plain & simple for over 40 yrs....even before Arrangers where ever mainstream & will continue to do so till I drop dead on stage doing what I've always loved.
I will applaud anyone who makes a good heart felt honest effort to perform in any fashion, using any means possible so that my senses & emotions are touched somehow.....that's what it means to be a performing musician. Like I always say...
"let me hear & see what ya got baby"

------------------

Donny

Choose a job you Love, and you will Never have to Work a day in your life!

#148150 - 07/09/07 05:51 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
No, I don't see it as cheating. But to me -and I've mentioned this before- it's all about the arrangement. The best styles (and voices) in the world will still sound boring if the arrangement is boring. Styles, voices AND the song itself are tools. It's what we do with the tools that makes all the difference. Take a look at the great Big Band leaders. Most, if not all, were great arrangers and that's what made them famous. A great arrangement creates a pleasing sound.

Taike

#148151 - 07/09/07 06:02 AM Re: Is Using STYLES...MIDI FILES...BIAB... etc etc a form of Cheating or?
Dnj Offline

Taike I'll agree with you .....you can arrange all you want BUT you MUST be a good well rounded versatile Player to make it all come together ....that's what the great master Big Band Leaders did ....they first had GREAT Players assembled....Then they Arranged them into Fantastic Music & Song

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online