SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#148030 - 01/19/06 12:57 PM what would compliment Yamaha sounds?
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
I own a PSR3000 and a Roland digital piano (KR7). What would you suggest in an additional 61 or 76 KB to compliment the sounds I already have? Is there something out there that would add a new dimension to what I already have?

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#148031 - 01/19/06 06:22 PM Re: what would compliment Yamaha sounds?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Tim,
did you manage to get your psr midied to the piano.
I managed to get my sd1+ midied to my Clavinova.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by CoasterTim:
I own a PSR3000 and a Roland digital piano (KR7). What would you suggest in an additional 61 or 76 KB to compliment the sounds I already have? Is there something out there that would add a new dimension to what I already have?

Tim

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#148032 - 01/19/06 07:31 PM Re: what would compliment Yamaha sounds?
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Tim,

Get a Korg Triton Extreme 76 keys workstation. You can MIDI that into your Yamaha PSR3000 to playback the styles while you play the leads on the Triton using its Combination voices. It would be a killer setup.

As an added bonus, Korg is offering the MOSS expansion board free. This is a $600 free gift. Think of this as an OASYS lite version.

The Triton Combinations use up to 8 programs or voices. They are meticulously crafted with elegant velocity switching, modulation controls, aftertouch and split points using multiple overlapping layers. You do not even have to bother programming them. Just use the factory presets and have a fun time.

Tapas

[This message has been edited by Tapas (edited 01-19-2006).]

#148033 - 01/20/06 07:14 AM Re: what would compliment Yamaha sounds?
CoasterTim Offline

Rikki,

Congrats on getting your SD1 MIDI'd to your Clavinova. I have not yet accomplished that feat with my PSR3000 and KR7. I need someone to literally take me by the hand and give me step by step instruction on how to do this. Is there a tutorial anywhere that would provide this...like "A MIDIot's Guide to MIDI" for the PSR?

Best regards,
Tim

#148034 - 01/20/06 07:19 AM Re: what would compliment Yamaha sounds?
CoasterTim Offline

Tapas,

You suggested...

"Get a Korg Triton Extreme 76 keys workstation. You can MIDI that into your Yamaha PSR3000 to playback the styles while you play the leads on the Triton using its Combination voices. It would be a killer setup."

Sound awesome, but I am a MIDIot. I don't know where to begin that MIDI hookup you mention. Channel assignments, etc. confuse the living daylights out of me!

On the other hand, I checked out a KorgPA80 at Sam ASh and was very impressed with the voices, which I understand are taken from the Triton. Does the Extreme have more voices than the PS80? If the PA80 has the same sounds, I would think it would be less expensive to get that.

Tim

#148035 - 01/20/06 05:01 PM Re: what would compliment Yamaha sounds?
Tapas Offline

Hi Tim,

It is ridiculously simple to MIDI a Korg Triton Extreme to a Yamaha PSR3000

Get an Ultimate Support two tier Apex Stand. Place the Triton on the lower tier. This will be your master controller and play back the right hand lead part. Place the PSR3000 on the upper tier. This will read in your chords and play back the Styles.

First, make the audio connection. Take a stereo audio cable (dual ¼” phone to dual ¼” phone) and connect the Main Stereo Line Out of the Triton to the Stereo Line In of the PSR3000. You will be using the onboard speakers on the PSR3000 to playback the voices on the Triton.

Without making any more modifications, you are now free to choose any Combination on the Triton and play on it with your right hand while you change the chords with your left hand on the PSR3000. No MIDI required!

To make things more elegant where you change the chords on the PSR3000 from the Triton, you would need to make the MIDI connection.

All you need is a single MIDI cable.

Connect the MIDI Out of the Triton to the MIDI In of the PSR3000. That’s it! You are done.

The default MIDI settings on the Triton and PSR3000 will work fine. Pick any Program on the Triton. By default it would be transmitting on the Global MIDI Channel = 1

By default, the PSR3000 will be receiving on all 16 MIDI channels. Set the PSR3000 on Fingered Mode with the Split Point at F2#. Pick any Style. Press [ACMP], [OTS link] and [Sync Start]. Your PSR3000 is cocked and ready to go.

Hit any 3 note chord below the split point F2# on your Triton. The Auto Accompanyment will start on the PSR3000. Play a different chord on the Triton. The PSR3000 will change to the new chord.

Now play the lead right hand part on the Triton. You will hear both the Triton and RIGHT-1 voice on the PSR3000 layered together. Perhaps you may want to turn off the RIGHT-1 part on the PSR3000 altogether and just listen to the Triton lead part and the PSR3000 Style part.

Now, if you decide to select a Combination Voice on the Triton, it may transmit the multi-layered combi on several MIDI channels like 1,2,3,4. When you play a Combination, it is going to trigger voices that are set to play on channels 1,2,3,4 on the PSR3000 as well. Not a good idea.

This can easily be taken care of by turning OFF all the MIDI Receive Channels on the PSR3000, except Channel 1.

Go the [Function], [MIDI] on your PSR3000. Select the 2nd MIDI Preset named [KBD & STYLE]. This preset treats the 3 right hand parts – Right 1, Right 2, Right 3 as a single part named UPPER. This setting itself may solve your problem right away.

If you still get unwanted voices, you would need to Edit this preset. Press the [Edit] button, and then tab to the [RECEIVE] page to alter the MIDI Receive settings. Here you would want to Turn OFF all MIDI channels except Channel 1.

Channel 1 is the only channel you want turned ON so that you can receive the chord changes and lead notes from the Triton.

After you make these initial changes, you are free to explore further and customize your setup according to your needs. You can layer the lead voices on the PSR3000 with the Combinations on the Triton for monstrous leads or you can set up a few lower keys on the Triton to trigger the Intros, Variations and Fills on the PSR3000 – the possibilities are endless.

You can get the Korg PA80 in place of the Triton Extreme. You can also try out the newer and more affordable TR series.

Tapas

#148036 - 01/21/06 12:22 AM Re: what would compliment Yamaha sounds?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Tim
If you follow the advice of Tapas you will certainly have a good combination, however one thing I would suggest, is that you follow the Organ convention of keyboard layout, (And which has been proven to work over hundreds of years) which means have the Triton on top for the Solo work, and the PSR on the lower for the backing.
By the way the beauty of Midi is you don’t have to have instruments from the same manufacture to work together.

Bill

#148037 - 01/21/06 10:06 AM Re: what would compliment Yamaha sounds?
TresorTX Offline

Loc: Dallas, Boston, Orlando
Thank you for the WEALTH of information you put in this post. THIS IS WHAT MAKES THIS BBS SO DARN GREAT!!!!

Could you give my your thoughts about using a MOTIF vs TRITON. How do you compare the two for the same purpose of adding additional sounds to my existing PSR3000.

Thanks for your great info. Russ in Texas

PSR S900
Korg PA1XPRO
Kurzweil PC3X
Logitech Z

#148038 - 01/21/06 12:09 PM Re: what would compliment Yamaha sounds?
CoasterTim Offline

Tapas,

Yes, thanks so much for the detailed explanation!

Will this concept work also to MIDI my 3000 to my Roland KR7 or our church's new MOTIF ES7?

I'm really getting an education here! Pretty soon I'll no longer be a midiot!

Tim

#148039 - 01/21/06 01:21 PM Re: what would compliment Yamaha sounds?
Tapas Offline

Bill is correct.

It is far more natural to play the bass/chords on the lower manual while you play the right hand part on the upper manual. I would suggest you look into the Quik-Lok M92 Double Tier Keyboard Stand .

This would be ideal for placing your PSR3000 horizontally on the lower tier while you can rest the Triton Extreme on the upper tier tilted at a suitable angle towards you so that you can view and operate the touch screen and the keys.

The M92 stand folds on itself and can be setup in minutes. It is very sturdy with no lateral wobble. You can place a couple of M-Audio SP-2 sustain pedals on the floor and an Expression Pedal with nothing to obstruct them. Professionals love this stand. Manual Dorantes uses this one while performing on-stage.

In this configuration, where you would be using the PSR3000 as a master keyboard, you need to make a different MIDI connection.

Take a single MIDI cable and connect the MIDI Out of the PSR3000 to the MIDI In of the Triton Extreme. The is exactly the reverse of my previous suggestion. Use the built-in Master Keyboard Template of the PSR3000. To access that go to [Function], [MIDI], and select the MIDI Template named [Master KBD1].

You can trigger all your chords on the PSR3000. When you play the right hand part of the PSR3000, the RIGHT-1 part will be transmitted via MIDI Channel 1. By default, your Triton is already setup to respond via its Global MIDI Channel = 1.

This means the right hand voices of the PSR3000 will be played in unison with the Triton Voices whether its in Program or Combi mode. If you select a different voice on the PSR3000, it will send a Program Change message which will result in auto selecting a different voice on the Triton. You can defeat this feature by disabling the Program Change messages from being transmitted.

This is not exclusive to the PSR3000 and Triton. Any MIDI keyboard can be configured to act as a slave or master to another MIDI keyboard. Your Roland KR7 and your Yamaha MOTIF ES7 can both be networked via MIDI to your PSR3000.

Infact, you can play all 3 at once. All you have to do is daisy chain the MIDI ports of the 3 keyboards together.

Try this:

You would need 2 MIDI cables.

Connect the first MIDI cable from the MIDI Out port of your PSR3000 to the MIDI In Port of your MOTIF ES7.

Next, connect the second MIDI cable from the MIDI Thru port of the MOTIF ES7 to the MIDI In port of the KR7.

[PSR3000 MIDI OUT] -----------> [MOTIF MIDI IN]

[MOTIF MIDI THRU] ------------> [KR7 MIDI IN]

Your PSR3000 now becomes the Master Controller. While you play a lead on the PSR3000, you will also hear the MOTIF and KR7 playing in unison.

With just two MIDI cables, you would be in MIDI heaven! Give this a try tomorrow.

Between the MOTIF and the TRITON, I would say the MOTIF will blend in better with the PSR3000 because of its better selection of natural voices. The Triton has a better selection of synth type sounds more suitable for techno music.

Tapas

#148040 - 01/21/06 05:16 PM Re: what would compliment Yamaha sounds?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Tim,
basically all I had to do was connect midi cable
"midi out" Clavinova to "midi in" SD1.
Audio Cable connect
"audio OUT" SD1 to "Audio in" Clavinova.
( the digital piano's normally have the better speaker system, (the sd1 doesn't actually have speakers anyway)
I set the Global midi channel on the SD1 to Midi Channel 1
I set the Clavinova to Midi Channel 1
(transmit/out)

If I want to play melody & styles voices on the sd1
I set Clavinova Local Off ( mutes the voices on the Clav) ie just using it as a controller.

If I want to use the Clavinova Piano Voice, I mute the melody voice/voices on the SD1.
and what I hear is Clav piano, sd1 styles.

Main thing to remember is to set the keyboard up so that it's ready to start as soon as you hit a chord ( sync start)

I can't see why your psr/roland setup should be any more difficult than mine.
best wishes
Rikki
p.s
you didn't actually mention if you were after an arranger type keyboard or a synth/workstation ( which don't actually use styles).

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CoasterTim:
[B]Rikki,

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#148041 - 01/21/06 05:30 PM Re: what would compliment Yamaha sounds?
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Very nice info!!

#148042 - 01/24/06 07:27 AM Re: what would compliment Yamaha sounds?
CoasterTim Offline

Got the KR7 and PSR3000 together. Since the KR is a piece of furniture, I just placed the PSR on top of it. (They look cool together!) So now I have the PSR audio running into the KR and the KR running into my PS Audio amp and tower speakers. Sounds incredible. Now I'm still trying to get the two to talk to each other - experimenting with playing chords on the KR to trigger the styles on the PSR. That works, but the problem is it works all over the KR's keybed, so I cannot play a melody line with my right hand. How do I isolate the accomp. to the left side of the KR so I can solo with the right hand, using either the PSR's voices or the KR's voices?

Once I master this, I'm gonna try it with the MOTIF and KR.

Tim

#148043 - 01/24/06 09:12 PM Re: what would compliment Yamaha sounds?
Tapas Offline

Tim,

Congratulations!!! You are almost there.

Since you have decided to use the Roland KR7 as your Master Controller and you want to play both the Chords and Lead on this 88 note keyboard, this is what you need to do.

Take a single MIDI cable and connect the MIDI Out of the KR7 to the MIDI In of the PSR3000.

Set the PSR with the Split Point at F2#. Do not use the Full Range Chord Scanning Mode. Press the [ACMP], [OTS Link] and [Sync Start] buttons. Your PSR3000 is ready to fly.

The moment you hit a chord below the F2# point on your KR7, the Style on the PSR3000 will start. You should be able to change the chords on the Styles by fingering different chords on the KR7 below the split point.

Any right hand solo part you play on the KR7 above the split point will not change the chords. You will be able to hear the KR7 voices blended in with the PSR3000 Right Hand voice.

This is the basic setup.

You can further experiment by selecting different channels for the Chord and Right Hand parts.

For example, there is a nifty feature named CHORD DETECT on the PSR3000. Basically, you can tell the PSR3000 to detect chord data on one or more MIDI channels of your liking.

You could setup the PSR3000 so that it detects chords note data that are received on Channel 12 while Channel 1 plays the regular Right Hand part.

You should then find if there is a way on your KR7 to split it into two zones each transmitting on a different MIDI channel. You may set the split point on the KR7 at F2#, so that any note played left of this gets transmitted on Channel 12, while anything played right of this gets transmitted on Channel 1.

All you chords played below F2# will be detected as Chord Notes on Channel 12 and trigger the styles.

Essentially, you have to remember 1 cardinal rule. The MIDI Channel of your transmitting instrument must match the MIDI channel of your receiving instrument.

Since we are dealing with 2 parts here - the Left Hand Part for triggering Chords and the Right Hand Part for playing solos, you need to specify 2 distinct MIDI channels to keep things in order.

You can also get by with just one channel - but then you must use a split point on the PSR3000 so it knows which notes it should treat as the left hand chord part and which should be treated as the right hand solo part.

Once you start experimenting you will get the hang of it after a few trials. The Yamaha PSR3000 is an extremely versatile and customizable MIDI instrument with all the Transmit/Receive channels under full user control.

You can network the Motif ES7 in the loop as well.

[KR7 MIDI Out] ---------> [Motif MIDI In]

[Motif MIDI Thru] ---------> [PSR3000 MIDI In]

Think of the MIDI Thru Port as a member that echoes back whatever it receives from the MIDI In port. It is as if your KR7 had two identical MIDI Out ports, and you made this connection:

[KR7 MIDI Out(1)] ----------> [PSR3000 MIDI In]

[KR7 MIDI Out(2)] ---------> [Motif MIDI In]

You could daisy chain several keyboards and sound modules in this fashion utilizing the property of the MIDI Thru port. For example, you could connect a Korg Pa1X into your network like this:

[KR7 MIDI Out] ----------> [Motif MIDI In]

[Motif MIDI Thru] ---------> [Pa1X MIDI In]

[Pa1X MIDI Thru] ---------> [PSR3000 MIDI In]

When you play a note on the KR7, it would trigger the same note on the Motif and the Pa1X and the PSR3000.

Tapas

#148044 - 01/25/06 05:53 AM Re: what would compliment Yamaha sounds?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Tapas:
It is far more natural to play the bass/chords on the lower manual while you play the right hand part on the upper manual. Tapas

Hmmmmmmmm.... not if you never played a 2 manual organ, it's not. I always played a fender Rhodes or an acoustic piano as my staple sound and put a synth on top for bass lines. The synths grew into arrangers and the natural position of the left hand on top for chords has been my preferance.
This also allows for better visual of the many buttons for fills etc, and leaves the speakers unencumbered for best sound.

Just another take on it.

#148045 - 01/25/06 06:45 PM Re: what would compliment Yamaha sounds?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Here is another take....I would rather just play that KR-7...

#148046 - 01/25/06 07:13 PM Re: what would compliment Yamaha sounds?
CoasterTim Offline

Fran,
It really is a fabulous piano. You're welcome to play it any time you want!

Tim

#148047 - 01/26/06 07:24 AM Re: what would compliment Yamaha sounds?
CoasterTim Offline

Tapas,

Your help, once again, is very appreciated. I am anxious to try what you suggest as soon as I get the chance...maybe Friday night.

Thanks again, the info is priceless!
Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online