SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147854 - 02/17/04 04:29 PM OT - Packaging shipments
The Accordionist Offline

Hello again all -

Sorry for the barrage of off-topic subjects. Hopefully this will be one of my last!

I was wondering what you guys use to package your shipments when you sell keyboards, arrangers, modules, etc.

I have to ship an accordion, a Ketron XD3, and a couple of modules. I was going to use a place like MailBoxes Etc. but I don't know how professional they are. I need to have this equipment REALLY protected. Especially the accordion.

Do you buy your own boxes and then use popcorn? Can you even get those styrofoam inserts that so much of our new equipment arrives protected in?

Any help, as usual, is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Tommy

#147855 - 02/17/04 04:49 PM Re: OT - Packaging shipments
Dnj Offline

Mailbox etc. or places like that do a great job, packing, making custom boxes, etc etc to make sure it gets there safe and sound ... although a bit expensive to ship items I've sold they also insure it, track it, guarantee delivery every step of the way. I have never had a problem going that route!

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#147856 - 02/17/04 05:00 PM Re: OT - Packaging shipments
The Accordionist Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Mailbox etc. or places like that do a great job, packing, making custom boxes, etc etc to make sure it gets there safe and sound ... although a bit expensive to ship items I've sold they also insure it, track it, guarantee delivery every step of the way. I have never had a problem going that route!

Thanks Donny. I was considering using them but had never heard any feedback about them. Your comments are very reassuring.

#147857 - 02/17/04 06:07 PM Re: OT - Packaging shipments
Dnj Offline

Good Luck Tommy...an Accordion is an odd shaped instrument so you wanna do it right!

Ps..I'm still a big Myron Floren fan

#147858 - 02/17/04 07:19 PM Re: OT - Packaging shipments
vclocke Offline

Loc: riverside, ca, usa
Tommy !!

Can you tell me where the best place (online) to sell an accordion might be? I've sold many things on eBay - but have never tried to sell an accordion there. Would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

vc

------------------
Vern

#147859 - 02/17/04 07:21 PM Re: OT - Packaging shipments
Dnj Offline

I sold my Titano Accordion on Eaby a few years ago in 5 days and got a great price....no problem!

example:.... http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=accordion

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-17-2004).]

#147860 - 02/17/04 07:31 PM Re: OT - Packaging shipments
The Accordionist Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by vclocke:
Tommy !!

Can you tell me where the best place (online) to sell an accordion might be? I've sold many things on eBay - but have never tried to sell an accordion there. Would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

vc

VC -

eBay is a great place but you need to be very detailed about what kind of accordion you have, quantity and type of reeds, condition of bellows, etc. And you need to have a lot of detailed pictures of both the inside and outside.

I check the eBay accordions daily and see tons of garbage accordions with descriptions like "I don't know anything about accordions but a friend told me this accordion is great! All the buttons and stuff play and it don't smell musty."

That just doesn't cut it.

I actually am selling mine via private party as it's a really niche instrument (reedless accordion midi'd to XD3)and probably wouldn't have much of an audience on eBay.

I would recommend eBay 100% to somebody that wants to sell an acoustic, though.

Oh yeah, one last thing. A lot of times you'll see a description like "Vintage accordion from 1956! A real collector's item!" Well, let me tell you that accordions do NOT appreciate with age and anything from 1950 that wasn't cared for by a museum is going to be a piece of garbage in my opinion. I'm sure I'll get a lot of "Not in my case!" but it's generally what I have seen.

Good luck with selling it!

Tommy

#147861 - 02/17/04 09:31 PM Re: OT - Packaging shipments
vclocke Offline

Thanks Dnj and Tommy !!

The only reason I havn't tried eBay is the problem of "packing" and shipping. I sold much on eBay - but things that are much easier to ship.

My accordion is in pretty good shape; little bit of bellows wear in the back - but overall good. An 'A Geurrini & Sons', 19", 120 bass, 3 bass switches and 7 treble switches + palm switch. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for your help,

vc

------------------
Vern

#147862 - 02/17/04 09:34 PM Re: OT - Packaging shipments
The Accordionist Offline

VC -

Don't know if you have seen this link but it is great for info on how to properly ship an accordion - especially a 120 bass version such as yours.
http://www.klezmusic.com/sbx-info/sbx-ship.html

Good Luck!

#147863 - 02/17/04 09:36 PM Re: OT - Packaging shipments
vclocke Offline

Thanks Tommy,

I'll take a look right now.

vc

------------------
Vern

#147864 - 02/17/04 09:52 PM Re: OT - Packaging shipments
vclocke Offline

That was a great resource Tommy. Thanks for the heads-up. Lots of info on accordions.

vc

------------------
Vern

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online