SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#147754 - 08/23/05 07:05 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Most of the time now, I use a Sennheiser 855. It seems to work well with my Ketron SD1. I also have SM58, SM87, three Behringers, a couple of Samsons, a cordless AT, etc.
I use the cheap ones for guests, but they are suprisingly good now.
DonM

#147755 - 08/23/05 07:10 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Got rid of my Senn 855....Im using a Beta 58 but Im getting bored with it.....might try the EV767 again its a real hot signal mic.

#147756 - 08/23/05 08:05 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Use a Shure beta 87c condenser with the voiceworks and a beta 57 for plugging directly into the keyboard.

#147757 - 08/23/05 09:07 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Got rid of my Senn 855....Im using a Beta 58 but Im getting bored with it.....might try the EV767 again its a real hot signal mic.

Donny: Curious WHY you got rid of the Sennheiser 855. Was there something in particular about its sound that no longer satisfied you, or were you just bored & looking for a change?

Interestingly enough, I've been still (after all these years ) considering a Sennheiser 855 (primarily because of Donny's past recommendation), a Shure Beta 87, or an Audix OM5 for my next stage mic.

I'm especially interested in the Audix OM5 as I've heard its one of the most 'natural sounding' (unhyped) acoustic vocal mics out there. Anyone here have experience with the Audix OM5 or Audix mics in general, or the others mics I listed (Shure Beta 87, Sennheiser 855) plugged DIRECTLY into a Yamaha Tyros or PSR3000 keyboard's mic input jack, and driving the keyboard's onboard vocal harmonizer? Realizing the mic's signal output strength contributes to the harmonizer production sound quality, curious how these mics compare (in this regard) with the hot signal output of the EV 767.

That said, Believe it or not, I'm STILL performing with my 15 year old Electro-Voice EV767. It's like that old energizer bunny, it keeps going and going, delivering satisfying vocals.

Year after year, I keep saying it's time to purchase another mic, but nothing yet has peeked my interest enough to switch. In addition to appreciating its high output signal & smooth vocal reproduction, my EV mic includes: a patented 'soft' grip handle of which includes a slighter wider diameter neck than standard, making for terrific hand held mic comfort & feel, and handy bass roll-off switch. To top it off, this mic is durable, surviving countless drops on stage. My ONLY disappointment is that it doesn't include a 'built-in' on/off switch.

Perhaps I too am merely feeling itchy (after 15 years) for something new in the mic dept. - Scott

#147758 - 08/23/05 09:45 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Shure 58's, an Audio Technica (don't know the model) and a free Carvin I got with a sound system order( normally, $49.95)....it's probably me, but I can't tell much difference. I use the first one out of the bag...

Russ

#147759 - 08/23/05 09:48 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I use the Shure Beta 87a. Of course, Mic's are a personal preference according to one's personal needs and voice characteristics.

I would gather as much info as you can from PRO review sites, User reviews, and also technical spec sheets from various manufacturers. If you can demo them do so.

Most retailers will NOT refund your money after you purchase the Mic. It has to do with health issues and they are not allowed/suppose to take back and or try and resale a Mic that has been used.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 08-23-2005).]

#147760 - 08/23/05 09:54 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Donny, you would sound great using a megaphone. I'm still using my EV-767 that I purchased on U.D.'s advice. I agree with Scott, it's a great mic.

Tom

Tom

#147761 - 08/23/05 10:19 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:

I'm especially interested in the Audix OM5 as I've heard its one of the most 'natural sounding' (unhyped) acoustic vocal mics out there. Anyone here have experience with the Audix OM5?

Yep, Scott. OM5 is what I've been using lately and I reported as such regarding "Paging Mr. Page" and I said just that in the thread I had for it on this forum. After someone wanted to know what mic I was using on those recordings.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#147762 - 08/23/05 10:32 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
EV 767 seems to do "good things" to my somewhat marginal voice.

#147763 - 08/23/05 10:33 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hi Donny,

I used an SM 58 for 35 years until recently. I do Wednesday nights at the top of the Hyatt Regency here in Baltimore. One of the other guys that also plays the room was in one night from another gig and he had a Neumann KMS 105 with him. During the break he asked me if I wanted to try it out and I did. Wow, what a difference. I have a project studio and I've always been a Neumann fan for studio use, but I'd never considered using one live. Well, 2 days after that night I had one and I'm very happy with it. It gives you the transients that you just don't get with the 58. I'm not familiar with the Sennheiser that you'r looking at, but they are a great studio mic as well. We've all upgraded our other equipment over the years, I guess it's time we did the same with our mics. Good luck with your choice. And also, thanks for the info on the Thursday night gig.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
www.joeayala.com

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online