SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#147744 - 11/26/00 08:28 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I concur with DanO1 that the Audix OM3 is one fantastic mic. I recently auditioned it and found it to be one of the most natural and accurate(unhyped)sounding mics out there. Only problem for me (personally) is that it's signal strength is not nearly as "hot" as the EV767, which is needed for plugging directly into my keyboard (KN5000) without requiring turning up the keyboard's mic gain much, which increases the potential of added noise.

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 11-26-2000).]

#147745 - 11/29/00 07:20 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Beakybird Offline

I don't know the model # for the mic I use. I'd have to search around the house. I do know that it costs $49 and is sold at pretty much every radioshack that I've seen. It does have a 1/4 " plug - actually, I think it comes with a 1/4" adapter covering an 1/8" plug. I'm pretty happy with it, I bought a $120 Technics headset mic at Guitar Center, but it didn't deliver a strong enough signal. I didn't want to deal with a mic preamp. I thought keep it simple so I decided to stick with the Radioshack mic. I have never had anyone complain about the quality of the vocals, to the contrary, I get a lot of compliments on my voice. For me, the advantage of having the mic always right next to my mouth, and being able to look at everyone in the audience while I sing plus never having to deal with a boom - these beat the one advantage of the professional mics which is improved fidelity. But heck, my head isn't a slave to a 2 inch radius, and I think I'm a lot better performer because of it.

#147746 - 11/29/00 08:10 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Guys,
my wife and I have been using Shure SM58 for
a while with our PSR-8000. We plug it first through a Mackie mixer than the keyboard.
A friend of mine told me recently to try out
the AKG 1000C wich he has used in studio recordings with good results.
We tried it and liked it right away. More clarity, better frequency response, more power etc.
Try it out and see if you like it.
Have fun,
Eric

#147747 - 12/06/00 12:50 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
I'm writing this slow 'cos I know most of you can't read fast.
For gigs I use the Shure Beta 58. I've found it's got plenty of punch, at least for the classic rock we do.
For recording in my studio, I've got a 10 year old EV 457 that still delivers great bottom end. I've tried double miking, with both the 58 and the 457 in the studio for some really interesting results.
I'm gone.....

#147748 - 12/06/00 05:59 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Don,

The average human voice will never go below 100Hz or ever remotely get close to 12,000 Hz, no matter how tight your jocky shorts are. Why would the response of that microphone bother you?

Tom

P.S. I ordered the EV767. Music123.com has it for $109.00.

Tom

#147749 - 12/06/00 11:20 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yeah Tom, Uncle Dave explained it pretty well. Besides I never said I had an average voice!
Seriously, mics with higher specs sound better. And cost more, usually. I'm spoiled to the phantom-powered condenser mics. So far I haven't found any non-powered mics that I like as well for my voice.
DonM

#147750 - 08/23/05 05:50 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Is everyone still using the same Mics we discused years ago .....or have moved on to something else???? Ive been using a Shure Beta 58 but I must say Im getting bord with it and I'm on the lookout for something new! Suggestions?

#147751 - 08/23/05 06:32 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
I used to use a SM58, but I tossed it after an idiot put it into a pint of beer. (A whole this is not a Karaokebar, but a pianobar thing...)

So I replaced it with an AudioTechnica AE6100, which I really love! I never go anywhere without it.

But I keep some backups.... just in case some idiot decides to make a beer/mic cocktail again. So I purchased six Nady SP-5 mics. And I must say, I was real supprised how good this 19$ mic sounds! It comes real close to my old SM58, a little more level on the SM58 than the Nady, but I get less feedback problems with the Nady than I had with the Shure.

But overall I really like my AudioTechnica best.

I also own a Electro Voice EV-100, which is also an OK mic.

In my studio I use a large membrane mic from Rode. That one kicks ass!! but I would never gig with that mic.

Doc-Z

#147752 - 08/23/05 06:51 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Dnj ... I've been reading this post and thinking Scott and others have submitted or given access to LOTS of demos, etc. What the heck is Donny talking about, and THEN my eyes catch the dates !!! ...
Donny ... how did you dig this up?!?!?

I have been using the Senn 845 and my wife thinks it gives a nice tone to my Baritone voice ... and THAT'S who matters ...
t.

#147753 - 08/23/05 07:04 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
HankB Offline

Loc: Bossier City, La. USA
My mic of choice is the EV 967. This is by far the best mic I have ever used.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/270055/

Hank

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online