SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#147714 - 11/13/00 06:49 PM Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

I still use a Shure SM58, but I'm thinking of getting a Sennheiser E855 Professional Vocal Mic very soon, or?.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-13-2000).]

#147715 - 11/13/00 07:42 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
What Mic?
I've always used Shure. Had a SM58 and now a Beta58. Always reliable and sound great

#147716 - 11/13/00 08:22 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Donny,
There are several things to consider.
The output of the mic--how hot the signal is.
The off-axis noise rejection. I prefer supercardiod, but at least cardiod.
How YOUR voice sounds on the mic.
Price.

Most of the time I use a Shure Beta87 condenser mic. It requires phantom power, but it records very well in addition to being great-sounding on stage. I find I need to add very little e.q. to it.
I also have a Shure Betagreen condenser mic that costs less than half, but sounds almost as good.
I keep a Peavey PVM 22 mic in case I ever want to plug directly into the keyboard. (It doesn't need phantom power.) I also use it and Shure SM58 for guest vocalists. I don't want them spitting in my expensive mics!
Be careful trying to change. Most people spend a of time trying to get their new mic to sound like their old mic did.
I tried a Senn. once and didn't like it. I used to use EV condenser mics all the time and I liked them a lot too.
I think most of the mics now are good, but the only way to see which one suits your voice is to try 'em. As I recall from your tape of a couple of years ago, your voice doesn't need a lot of help. If it ain't broke . . .
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 11-13-2000).]

#147717 - 11/13/00 08:28 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Vocal Mics are such an invidual and personal thing (like choosing underwear). All brands/models of Mics react to people's voices in very different ways. What may enhance the quality of one person's voice may bring out the worst qualites of another person.

Granted, the Shure SM58 has been the accepted mic standard for many years but I found it a little brittle and harsh in the midrange for "my voice". I purchased an ElectroVoice EV767N/D nearly ten years ago and it continues to be my #1 favorite "live performance" mic (for Pop/Jazz style vocals) because of it's HOT signal "warm sound" & smooth response (great for ballads), and its' 100% reliability (hasn't failed me in ten years). I have spent hours auditioning other stage mics but keep coming back to the trusty EV757. I even took home the Sennheiser E855 (my other fav stage mic so far) for a spin (in hopes of looking for yet another mic which might be better than the EV757), but after trying it for a week, returned it. I found the Sennheiser E855 to be an excellent sounding mic but I guess I somehow prefered the "warmer" sound of the EV757 (though some people might find it too much so).

The bottom line: There is no "one right or best" sounding vocal stage mic out there. Every mic is designed differently and will sound slightly different depending on both the indiviual timbre of your voice, your vocal range and style of music you perform. Take your time to audition all available and decide on one which will enhance your unique voice best. Hmmm, I think I'll go back and give that Sennheiser E855 another audition again.

Make Music and make people happy,

Scott

#147718 - 11/13/00 08:54 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Thanx Dave,
I'll check it out. It sure sounded good when I caught your show last month I appreciate your advice. Now I'm really confused :>)

#147719 - 11/13/00 09:07 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

hi Don,
Thanx for the great reply. Being a baritone I need a HOt mic, I also have a bad habbit of backing off the mic at times when I sing to eleviate too much bass and vocal saturation. I enjoy the SM58 but I tried a Senn E855 Sunday that a friend uses and liked it. I'd like to try the EV767 this week too before I buy a new one. After the holidays I'll try to put together another demo using the X1, I will surley send you a copy ok?

donny nj

#147720 - 11/13/00 09:13 PM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Thanx Scott,

Now I know I have to try the Ev 767 also.
What do you think is better for my Baritone voice?

I also wish we could post pics and wavs on this forum so we could see and hear each other too :>)

Donny

#147721 - 11/14/00 12:17 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
DonM Offline

Donny,
Just turn on the compressor/limiter on your PSR9000 and you don't have to worry so much about losing response--OH that's right, you have one of those ol' X1's don't you.
(:>) Just kidding. Be sure and send me a demo when you make one. I've been working on one myself, but not satisfied with it yet.
It's interesting you brought up this string, because I've been experimenting with mics myself lately. Haven't found anything I like better than what I have. It's a never-ending quest to sound as good as we can, isn't it?
DonM

#147722 - 11/14/00 12:21 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
DonM Offline

Uncle Dave, is there any difference in the sound of the wired vs unwired models? I've never experimented with wireless, mainly because too many people already think I'm not really playing. If I stand up and leave the keyboard, they'll think everything I do is "recorded".
Do you use the wireless just when you're with the combo, or do you also use it as a single?
DonM

#147723 - 11/14/00 06:58 AM Re: Question for the pros, What Model Mic are you using for Vocals? and why?
Dnj Offline

Hahaha Don,

Very Funny :>) I only sing thru the keyboard on small gigs, otherwise I go thru the Mixer and SFX unit for more control. Can't wait to hear your new demo with the 9000. We should ALL share demos asap, Scott? Dave? :>)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online