SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#147669 - 02/10/05 02:32 PM Problem with dry hands
juneau Offline

Loc: Red Wing, MN, USA
I have a problem in the winter with dry hands and that makes my fingers slip off keys very easily. I know I should use a hand lotion regularly to keep my fingers from getting too dry, but I'm not very good at remembering to do this and I haven't found a lotion you can put on right before you play that isn't greasy feeling or that soaks in quickly.

Is there a special lotion or ointment that any of you use before a performance to give you good tactile feel of the keys?

#147670 - 02/10/05 02:49 PM Re: Problem with dry hands
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
This is a good question. It's an issue that is going to vary for each idividual (depending on their skin). With any lotion you have to give it time to set into your skin. I can't think of any lotions that abrosb fast. Here's a suggestion. I know there are some good hand sanitizers out there that have Aloe in them and other skin conditioners. These products are mostly alchohol based and dry extremely fast. For my own needs I use baby lotion. My skin gets extremely dry (what's often called "gett'n ashy") Baby lotion works really well for me. Even the cheap stuff.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#147671 - 02/10/05 03:03 PM Re: Problem with dry hands
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Oops, for a moment I thought I was on the 'Hints From Heloise' forum

#147672 - 02/10/05 04:02 PM Re: Problem with dry hands
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Guys, I have a little round powder box that my wife had empted. It has a small puff inside, I put a little talcum powder on the puff, then when you get ready to play just touch the tips of your fingers on the puff.
Be sure and wipe your fingers a little so as to get rid of to much powder.
Works for me! You'll be able to just go flying over those keys!

------------------
Nobby

#147673 - 02/10/05 04:42 PM Re: Problem with dry hands
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I keep a small bottle of Vaseline Intensive Care lotion with me all the time. It dries fast and it's an anti-bacterial lotion as well. I use it for a variety of reasons, the least of which is my hands also get very dry during winter, which at my rapidly advancing age seems to aleviate splitting fingertips next to the corners of my index fingers and thumbs.

The second reason is it's anti-bacterial protection. Think about how many times someone comes up to you, shakes your hand, then tells you how happy they were to make the party because they've had the flu for a couple weeks.

The worst ones are the ladies that insist on kissing you, then tell you they've been down with a nasty virus for the past week, but made a special effort to get out of their sick bed to attend the party.

Ain't life grand!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#147674 - 02/10/05 07:56 PM Re: Problem with dry hands
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
And we laugh when Michael Jackson wears his mask. He may be sick...but he doesn't have the flu.

#147675 - 02/11/05 12:21 PM Re: Problem with dry hands
juneau Offline

Loc: Red Wing, MN, USA
Thanks for the ideas. They sound worthy and I'll try them.

I had thought there might be some "magic" ointment or something that was specific to keyboard playing. I guess I thought of this because I remember when working in a drug store as a kid there was some little tablets you could suck on that amazingly cleared your throat in seconds. I haven't seen them since and can't remember the brand. They were ideal for public speaking and singing.

Just thought there might be something specific like that for a quick fix to dry fingers.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online