SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#14725 - 02/05/04 12:29 PM WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
tazar Offline

Loc: san diego, CA, USA
all,
I need help figuring out how to repair the Tempo/Data dial wheel. More often when dialing,
the Tempo/Data does not change.
In Addition, the Octave -/+ key works only on one direction (toward the - octave).
Also, when I use the ensemble patch, whether pressing a key note or not, the sounds of one note persists.

Thanks for any helps

Tony

#14726 - 02/05/04 03:13 PM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
WDM Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Hi Tony,

First try re-initializing the unit. Remember that this procedure will erase everything in RAM so be sure to save any data that you want to keep before attempting.
To re-initialize, turn the instrument off and then while rotating the TEMPO/DATA dial slowly to the right power on the instrument. Continue rotating the dial until the display reads "WARNING-Dial on Power-up requests MEMORY CLEAR". Press ENTER to re-initialize the instrument.

If this does not solve the problem, you more than likely have a hardware problem. To test the buttons and dial:
Press the General button in the Edit section, press soft button F2 followed by soft button F8 and then press ENTER. This is a special hidden screen of built-in hardware tests. In this screen you will see Panel Test at the upper right of the display. Press soft button A to access this test. Press each button on the front panel and note whether the corresponding button simulation in the display reacts. Rotating the dial should show in the upper right box 'Code: 0XOFF' when rotated left and '0X001' when rotated to the right. You can also test any pedals that are plugged into the system if you like.

If any buttons do not respond, you know that it is a hardware issue and needs to be serviced. If you need help finding an authorized service center, please let me know.

Good luck,

Dave

#14727 - 02/05/04 05:31 PM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
tazar Offline

Dave,

Thank you. I'll try these steps tonite.

Tony

#14728 - 02/05/04 05:38 PM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
tazar Offline

Dave,
I forgot to ask whether or not it is easy to
remove the top cover, of the keyboard, in order to clean up the inside a litle.

Tony

#14729 - 02/05/04 05:55 PM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
WDM Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Hi Tony,

Opening the unit is not all that difficult. The problem is once it is open you will have to remove the button panel circuit board which isn't a lot of fun. What's more, I don't believe there is much you can do to clean up switches if they are malfunctioning nor is there a way to clean the potentiometer of the tempo/data dial.

If you find that re-initializing doesn't solve the problem, it is probably going to require a trip to the doctor.

Best Regards,

Dave

[This message has been edited by WDM (edited 02-05-2004).]

#14730 - 02/05/04 06:42 PM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I have sk880 keyboard and it is now displaying this symptom unless you change it very slowly. As long as it move, it is ok with me.

#14731 - 02/06/04 03:09 AM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
JoostMerema Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Most of the time, the dial has to be replaced. GEM uses dail's that ... well... wear out after some time.

For the buttons, you can check the buttons when you've replaced them by doing the following:

1)Push the GENERAL button on the right
2)Select System Info by pushing F2
3)Push the F8 button, you will now enter Hardware test modus.
4)Press enter

Now, you can check all the things that you want. In this case, Select Panel test.

Press Enter and Escape at the same time to exit the test modus.

Use this on your own responsibility, as with opening the keyboard. Good Luck.

#14732 - 02/06/04 10:48 AM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
tazar Offline

Okay,

I trouble-shooted the control panels. It seemes that the only malfunction button is the
"octave -/+".
Thank you for all your help.

Tony

#14733 - 02/06/04 02:15 PM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Tony,

It is possible to replace individual micro switches on the button panel circuit board. As I mentioned earlier (as username WDM) while opening up the WK8 isn't very difficult, removing the circuit board from behind the front panel isn't all that easy. There are a lot of small parts that are held in by the circuit board that can easily fall out and become lost if one is not careful.
I would suggest contacting Generalmusic at (630) 766-8230 to find out the best route to take in getting your instrument repaired.

Dave

#14734 - 02/06/04 04:30 PM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
tazar Offline

thanks again Dave. I 'll just hang in there untill we buy (church) the korg pa1zPro soon.

Tony

#14735 - 02/06/04 04:49 PM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

No problem. Glad to help. And please at least take a look at the Genesys Pro. Also, the Genesys Ensemble and Grand will be available in the next month or so. If this is for a church, one of those instruments might fit the bill. The sound ROM has been increased significantly to include the piano samples from the Promega 3 as well as other new sounds and styles. The hard drive capacity has been increased from 4 gigs (Genesys Pro) to 20 gigs. Not to mention the cabinets are very nice looking.

OK, enough with the advertisement. Sorry about that.

Good luck with whatever you end up with,

Dave

#14736 - 02/09/04 09:05 AM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
tazar Offline

Dave,

All my life I only used the Yamaha keyboards until our church bought the WK8 (based on my recommendation). The GEM is falling apart due mainly to the fact that a mice sneaked under the protection cover and urinated on the keys and chewed some of the rubber buttons (probably causing it to short out). This is why I asked Abadallah Safar to recommend a new work station to fit our requirements. Abdallah recommended the PA1X Pro. If you are suggesting the genesys ensemble, would you be nice and reply to this post indicatinfg some of the main feature of the genesys ensemble.
Thanks a million,

Tony

#14737 - 02/09/04 06:26 PM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Tony,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I am traveling at the moment and hotel dial-up connections are driving me crazy. I would be happy to tell you what I know about the Genesys as soon as I return home which if all goes well should be Thursday.

The Pa1zPro is a nice instrument. What I would say about the Genesys though is that it is extremely easy and fast to get around on which in live performance is a real blessing. The sounds and styles are very good. An internal hard drive, floppy disk drive and CD-RW are all standard equipment. The sequencer is 32 tracks and the sequence editor, though pretty easy to use allows for very complex editing.

I will post more once I am off the road.

Dave

#14738 - 02/10/04 07:02 AM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
So how can we get the dial replaced?

#14739 - 02/14/04 05:12 AM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by sk880user:
So how can we get the dial replaced?

Contact a service center. The Tempo/Data dial uses a fairly standard potentiometer and is easily replaced.

#14740 - 02/14/04 05:32 AM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by tazar:
Dave,

The GEM is falling apart due mainly to the fact that a mice sneaked under the protection cover and urinated on the keys and chewed some of the rubber buttons
Tony

That would tend to screw things up! Stating that the WK-8 is "Falling apart" might be a little harsh since ANY instrument would experience problems if subjected to mice urine and having vital parts chewed on.
Anyway....

The Genesys Ensemble that I mentioned is a new home style digital ensemble piano based on the Genesys Pro keyboard. The Genesys Ensemble is available in a vertical and a grand cabinet. If you are not familiar with the Genesys system, please visit www.generalmusic.com or www.generalmusic.us and check out the Genesys Pro. The specs are the same for the Ensemble with the addition of increased sound ROM, hard drive capacity and cabinet. Also take a look at the PS2600 and GPS2600. This will show you the basic cabinet design that is used in the Genesys Ensemble and Ensemble Grand. There have been some design changes but it will still give you a good idea of what the new instruments look like.

I hope this helps,

Dave

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 02-14-2004).]

#14741 - 02/16/04 09:55 AM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
tazar Offline

Dave,

Thanks for the info. I neither meant to put GEM down nor bad publicize it. But I personnally think that other brands like the Yamaha,
korg, and Roland are a litle bit more resilient to rodents and normal wear & tear.

(generally, I have not read about or seen a perfect keyboard yet)

Regards,

Tony

#14742 - 02/17/04 07:19 PM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
Tony,

Ask the professionals that tour with our products, how road worthy they are:
Here are just some:

Rick Wakeman
Keith Emerson
Herbie Hancock (all self-explanatory)
Laura Karpman – Emmy winning composer for Spielberg, Documentaries, Sony Music
and Sony Play Station house composer
John Tesh – Emmy and Dove Award winning composer
Louis Resto – Grammy winning Composer, Songwriter, Producer, Emenem
Brett Tuggle – Fleetwood Mac
Wayne Williams – Billy Joel/Steely Dan
Thomas Dawson – Commodores, Beyonce, BET Jazz, Film Composer
Van Renz – Clay Walker, Country session musician, CMA Winner
Serenity Studios – Top Northern California production facility
Loft Studios – NY Production facility
Encore Recording – Willie Nelson Recording facility
Paul Merkovich – Music Director, Cher
Jason Miles – Grammy winning producer, Disney, Sting, Cassandra Reed,
Wayne Shorter, Gato Barbieri (Latin Grammy nominee) projects, Miles Davis, Chaka Khan, the list goes on…
Don Moen – Dove Award winning and worldwide stadium filling Christian artist, music
Professor, revivalist.
Ken Boome – Smooth Jazz composer, pianist and studio owner.
Otmaro Ruiz – Grammy nominated Jazz, Latin keyboardist, composer.
M-Audio, Los Angeles - Studio demo controller, piano recording for Hard Disk audio
demonstrations
Bose Corporation – demo auditorium piano
Kent Morris - Maranatha, Sound Contractor
Larry Williams – Steely Dan, and all his other info from the Pro2 days. (ProMega2)
Russell Ferrante – Yellow Jackets, studio projects
John Gould – Drifters, Las Vegas show pianist
Gonzalo Rubalcaba – 2 time Grammy winner, 8 Grammy nominations, 4 for Jazz Album
of the year as a soloist and with Jazz great Charlie Haden.
Myron McKinley – Music Director Earth Wind & Fire, Whitney Houston, Will Smith,
Doc Powell, N-Sync, Cash Money, Film Composer
Wayne Vaughn – Songwriter/Keyboards/Producer Quincy Jones, Earth Wind & Fire,
Will Smith, the Emotions, Brothers Johnson, Miles Davis
Kevin “Brandino” Brandon – Grammy winning bassist/producer OutKast (Grammy
winner)
Alex Acuna – Multi Grammy winning percussionist/producer/songwriter
Rick Serrate – Aerosmith, Foreigner, Debbie Gibson, Nashville Tonight, John Entwistle,
Alice Cooper, more sessions than I can list.

If that isn't impressive enough, we stand behind our products for 5 years...

"Bullet Proof"!

[This message has been edited by PaulD (edited 02-17-2004).]

#14743 - 02/18/04 01:47 AM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I tend to think if you have a problem with mice getting in your keyboard then your problem is more with your living environment than the keyboard. Electronic keyboard manufacturers have to consider a lot of issues when designing a product, but a mouse urinating inside the keyboard is probably not one of them.

My thought anyway ....

#14744 - 02/18/04 10:44 AM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
tazar Offline

Paul & Nigel,

Thank you for the supplemental info and the references. The mice intruded the WK8 because it is located inside our church choir room premanently. Sometimes cleaners/house keepers, leave the window shutters open. This how the mice came into the equation. You mis-understood me!!!
I like my WK8, and because of my recommendation three musicians bough a WK8 here in San Diego.
However, a couple of months after we bought the WK8 from Boudi Jawdi, one of GEM Rep, and before the mice attack, the fade in/out button stopped to work. followed by the Dial button, and then the octave +/- stopped to transpose upward. The backup battery halted to be recharged. I kept on loosing the user styles/sounds and other user defined feature.
In addition, I reported via email a couple of problems with the May, 2000 released OS. These problems remained unsolved.
I'm not saying the GEM is a bad product, but may be my WK8 is a lemon. I will still consider buying a GEM product if I see something that I like.
Please accept my apologies if I mis-spoke. I was just stating my WK8 problems.

Regards,

Tony

#14745 - 02/18/04 07:08 PM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Tony,

If you have looked at my profile, you will have noticed that I am the national product support manager for General Music USA. I have spoken to our technical service manager and the estimated cost of parts to repair your WK-8 is around $10.00-$20.00 dollars. This includes the Tempo/Data potentiometer and the damaged micro-switches. I have a one time offer for you and your church. If the church will cover the cost of shipping to and from our facility and cover the cost of the parts involved, we will donate the labor charges to put your instrument back in good operational condition. The WK-8 is a great instrument and my hopes are that you will accept this offer so the WK-8 can continue to be used for praise and worship at your church.

You obviously like the WK-8 system, and this offer will save the church from having to spend a large amount of money on a new instrument.

Please bear in mind that it is not the policy of General Music to disregard an expired warranty and abnormal physical damage, but a little good will never hurt anyone.

If this offer is of interest, please e-mail me directly with the name and address of your church and I will be back in contact with you.

Sincerely,

Wm. David McMahan
Nat’l Product Support Mgr.
Generalmusic USA

#14746 - 02/19/04 09:05 AM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
tazar Offline

Dave,

Let be begin by thanking you on your generous offer.
I knew who you were from the content of your posting replies and the from technical buzz words you have implemented.
My church choir and I really appreciate your offer. I'll take you up on this and make some kind of arrangements to ship you the
WK8. We can send you a tax id as well. Our Church is Saint Ephrem Mission of San Diego. www.stephrem.org. I'll be contacting you soon regarding this matter.
Regards,

Tony Azar

#14747 - 02/19/04 09:46 AM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Tony,

It is my pleasure. I will look for an e-mail from you with the necessary information and then I will give the our shipping address in Chicago.

Best Regards,

Dave

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online