SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147005 - 07/22/02 06:31 AM Back from Nashville ......tyro's , gensys,kn7000 ,xd9
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I have returned from summer NAMM . The Tyro's,genesys,kn7000,xd9, Sd1 were all at the show.

I will report later today after I get some rest from a very late (delay) flight .

sincerely ......dano

Piano Man
Baltimore Maryland ..........
Technics,Kawai,GEM,Ketron dealer

#147006 - 07/22/02 07:49 AM Re: Back from Nashville ......tyro's , gensys,kn7000 ,xd9
rgtaa Offline

I look forward to your review of these models!
I hope you only need 4 hours sleep.
rgtaa

#147007 - 07/22/02 04:18 PM Re: Back from Nashville ......tyro's , gensys,kn7000 ,xd9
DanO1 Offline

Ok .........

The Tyro's was the 1st keyboard I checked out . The Tyro's at this show was 70% complete . Other features will be implemented before release sometime in October or November of this year .

When you see the tyro's ...you immediately see a really nice LCD display . The screen also tilts to different angles for personal applications .
The keyboard has 61 keys and weighs about 26lbs .
Yamaha offers an optional speaker package that includes a subwoofer . I think the speaker's look and sound very good .However ,
I do not think the Tyro's speaker package is as convenient as having onboard speakers with a 61 note arranger.
The last 61 note arranger without speakers was the Korg I-30 (I Think) and sold for around $1800.00. The TYRO's will cost more $$ .

The Tryo's will also have optional hard drive .
THE STYLES
Tyro's offers many improvements over any previos Yamaha keyboard .Guitar simulation within a style has been incorporated ( Ketron has been best at guitar simulation for years IMHO) . Yamaha offers new guitar "unplugged" styles with the Tyro's . If you listen closely ....some styles where born with the PSR740,630 series IMO. Yamaha added some really great gospel/funk/hiphop and dance styles as well .
The one thing I did not like is that the tyro's navigation forces you to utilize a page turn button on the lower left part of the LCD display . You press a style category and the styles would appear next to function buttons (same as PSR9000). But you will have to press the page button to access the multiple of pages offered . It's a little hard to see .
If you own a PSR9000 or 9000pro .....you can press the category button multiple times to access different pages of sounds or styles . If you are in a dark room ....it may be a little hard to see on the tryos .
Fill in buttons , intro's and endings are nicely marked . Grooves + Dynamics are now integrated on the advance "session" styles making many of the styles more active.

I'll be back ... dano

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 01-11-2003).]

#147008 - 07/22/02 06:09 PM Re: Back from Nashville ......tyro's , gensys,kn7000 ,xd9
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
HI: Dano
Did you get hooked up with Yamaha as a
Dealer yet ?
Denny

#147009 - 07/22/02 06:56 PM Re: Back from Nashville ......tyro's , gensys,kn7000 ,xd9
DanO1 Offline

I am not a Yamaha dealer yet . I do have some friends at Yamaha that are aware of my interest .
I had a chance to meet Mark Anderson of Yamaha at the show ! Excellent player and great person ! dano

dano

dano

#147010 - 07/22/02 08:09 PM Re: Back from Nashville ......tyro's , gensys,kn7000 ,xd9
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
In speaking with Mark and others at Yamaha , I was told that the Tyros is the first Yamaha keyboard to use mostly American Style designers in developing styles. In the past, Yamaha has used mostly German programmers and this time they are using American programmers.
This would account for styles sounding more orchestrated and doing a better job in some of the style catagories Dan has mentioned.
George Kaye

[This message has been edited by George Kaye (edited 07-22-2002).]
(Retired 2021)

#147011 - 07/22/02 08:12 PM Re: Back from Nashville ......tyro's , gensys,kn7000 ,xd9
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
Thanks Dano. Looking forward to the rest of
your report on the other KB's
Denny

#147012 - 07/25/02 05:15 AM Re: Back from Nashville ......tyro's , gensys,kn7000 ,xd9
rgtaa Offline

Dano!
I hope you are not getting too much sleep after your trip!

I'm still waiting for your review of the keyboards too.

rgtaa

#147013 - 07/25/02 06:35 AM Re: Back from Nashville ......tyro's , gensys,kn7000 ,xd9
DanO1 Offline

hello to all ,

So ...I kind of left off with the styles from the tyro's as being better than other releases .
The sounds from the Tyro's are good as well .
NO " sweat" voices . All in all a nice improvement. The solo instruments are good but I still think the SD1 piano sample is best .

GENESYS keyboard ...........

the genesys is really a new concept in keyboard manufacturing . As mentioned by other members ...there is a CD player and burner on board . YOu can extract vocals from a audio CD . Audio CD's can give a better playback vs. midi sequences . I believe you can even scroal lyrics in text format with an audio CD .
The Styles are improved on the Genesys and the sounds are improved as well .

It's worth looking it ! if the weight can be managed .

dano

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 01-11-2003).]

#147014 - 01/11/03 08:34 AM Re: Back from Nashville ......tyro's , gensys,kn7000 ,xd9
DanO1 Offline

I am curios how Tyro's owners feel about the navigation vs. the 9000 / prs2000 .

Dano

#147015 - 01/11/03 02:37 PM Re: Back from Nashville ......tyro's , gensys,kn7000 ,xd9
Roel Offline

Dan01,

Any news about OS4 ?

Roel

#147016 - 01/11/03 05:03 PM Re: Back from Nashville ......tyro's , gensys,kn7000 ,xd9
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
I am curios how Tyro's owners feel about the navigation vs. the 9000 / prs2000 .
Dano

Hi Dan, as a PSR2000 & Tyros owner, I can only compare between the 2000 & Tyros. The big improvement in navigation on the Tyros is that because the arranger buttons appear much larger because the entire button is lighted, making it very EASY to view, select, and then changes color (from orange to green) to signify that it is currently active.

I also like the button LAYOUT better than on the PSR2000 because the Registration Buttons are located at the CENTER of keyboard making it equally EASY to access from either your left or right hand. On the 2000, these buttons are located on the right hand side of the keyboard making it only conveniently accessible with the right hand. I also feel that the live playing instrument part selection buttons (RT1,RT2, RT3, LT) on the Tyros are located in a more conveniently assessible area as well. In addition, these part select & part on/off status buttons are lighted as well, and change color to clearly display its status. The other navigational improvement on the Tyros is it's LARGE color LCD screen which improves viewing & LCD selection 10 fold over the comparably small B&W screen on the 2000. The text is substantially LARGER (bolder) and clearer to read because it's in color. I especially find navigating my MusicFinder song database (over 500 song repetoire) a lot quicker and faster now, and 'naming' files directly from the keyboard, a lot easier & faster as well, because of the larger LCD text & screen navigation buttons. - Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online