SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#146994 - 09/26/03 12:04 PM editing/saving midi file on psr2100
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm changing some of the backup tracks i have in midi file, to some of the nicer panel voices on the psr2100 - but the changes don't seem to be sticking! Am I missing a step somewhere??
Open song, make changes in mixer, go to song creator/editor and then save - those are the steps i'm following.

Thanks!

Jill

#146995 - 09/26/03 07:30 PM Re: editing/saving midi file on psr2100
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Jill, I'm not sure it's that easy. I'll bet one of the "guys" who work with midis a lot will know more about it. I know you can save tempo changes, key transposition, song name, etc, in the manner you are trying, but there may another step to point the midi to the sounds you want. I'll be interested to see!
DonM

#146996 - 09/26/03 09:50 PM Re: editing/saving midi file on psr2100
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Jill...
Sounds like a job for PowerTracks 8
Eddie

#146997 - 09/26/03 10:22 PM Re: editing/saving midi file on psr2100
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Jill, It can be done on the board's internal sequencer, but it's a bit of a chore. There are instructions which are much better than I can describe it myself at joe Water's excellent PSR2000 site. The actual page that describes how to change voices in a midfile ( song ) is : http://psrtutorial.com/Lessons/L_Personalizing/LP_SongsAdj/LPS_Voice/lps_voice.html

You might find it much simpler to do voice edits in an external sequencer that allows instrument definition support for the PSR2100 such as Sonar, Cakewalk Home studio, Cubase.. etc. I have Sonar and all I need to do is to open the midi file inside of it, insert a program change(s) based on the PSR2000 patch list, and save and I'm done. Of course this can be done in any sequencer that allows patch number and bank selections to be inserted, but without a patch list, the proper patch / bank numbers have to be inserted manually. I think that's still easiier than trying to do it in the board's internal sequencer.

AJ

#146998 - 09/26/03 10:59 PM Re: editing/saving midi file on psr2100
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Yes, you are missing a step between making the changes and saving the results. After changing all the sounds as you wish, when you go into the song creator you must first go to the second folder by paging up to "channel". Here, you go to the section called "setup". You then must first hit execute (you will see this tab on the left side of the screen) and after executing which stores the new changes with the song you then go to save, a tab on the right side of the screen. Here's one major point you have to remember. If when you go to hit "execute" you are not at the top or beginning of the song, then the execution will not take place. You will notice that if you are in any other measure, the execute button will not be highlighted, but when you hit reset, which is the button next to the play button in the song section you will notice the execute tab will get bright rather than dull. This is the step you are missing. I also found this out while trying to save my new sounds with a midi file. I hope you understand this.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, california
(Retired 2021)

#146999 - 09/27/03 05:35 AM Re: editing/saving midi file on psr2100
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi and thanks george - does make sense - I'll try it today!

I do use a software program called midinotate, have to see if can/how I can put the 2100 patches/sounds in there.

Thanks all!
Jill

#147000 - 09/29/03 02:20 AM Re: editing/saving midi file on psr2100
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Been there, done that, failed similarly! Can confirm that you have to do exactly what George says. Seems a little wierd the first few times but you get used to it.

#147001 - 09/29/03 03:16 AM Re: editing/saving midi file on psr2100
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Jill. I also use Midinotate. Its not a Midi Sequencer where track voices can be changed. Midinotate is basically a good program to print out a lead sheet showing melody & chords.
For edit purposes you require a dedicated sequencer, about the best value is PowerTracks from www.pgmusic.com they also produce that excellent arranger program Band-In-A-Box.

Graham UK

#147002 - 09/29/03 04:55 AM Re: editing/saving midi file on psr2100
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually, I can use my version of Midinotate to change the voices/instruments - maybe I have a later version? That is what I have been using, but I sure like changing the voices better on the keyboard!

Jill

#147003 - 09/29/03 04:36 PM Re: editing/saving midi file on psr2100
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
George thanks for the correct procedure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online