could Uncle Dave and others, remind me
what the best rack mount harmonizers are
the best for live use?
and how does the Digitech VR compare?
Thanks.

#146933 - 08/31/04 08:42 AM Re: Harmonizers
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
The "Voice Live" from TC Helicon is the latest greatest. It has the same chip as the Voice Works but it is floor mounted and it is best for Live performance purposes because you work it with your foot which is much more convenient than dabbling with knobs, etc. of a rack mounted Voice Works, Digitech VR, etc. Look Ma, no hands!! takes on new meaning with the "Voice Live" vocal processor from TC Helicon. A brilliant idea indeed and one that was long overdue.

Here's the link:

Voice Live by TC Helicon

Best regards,
Mike

#146934 - 08/31/04 10:49 AM Re: Harmonizers
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
FYI - the TC Live and Voiceworks are at least twice the price as the Digitech VR - if that means anything.

#146935 - 08/31/04 11:02 AM Re: Harmonizers
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I have to disagree about the "latest/greatest" from TC. I think the floor unit is harder to control than a simple midi connection. It definetely makes life more cumbersome with extra foot action.

The TC stuff in general, is a few steps up from the Digitech VR, but only baby steps, really. In a live situation, there are reasons that the VR is best, but the effects and EQ of the TC makes them very attractive as well.

I change voice presets often and I trigger chords in split second situations, so the VR is the quickest response unit of the lot. That's my choice for live. In the studio at home, I have a Voice Prism - the effects are wonderful, but it's 2 rack spaces.

Dollar for dollar, it's hard to beat the VR for stage use. I'll geive you specifics if you need them about why the TC stuff falls short on stage for me. It's about response time, mostly. The TC architechture has a silent mode that is triggered when you change a preset - no good for me.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 08-31-2004).]

#146936 - 08/31/04 11:04 AM Re: Harmonizers
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I have a voiceworks rack mount and I control it with midi CC messages that you can put into a sequence track. I never touch it except 1 footpedal for harmony bypass. I think it has great effects besides the harmony.

------------------
qqqwq@hotmail.com

#146937 - 08/31/04 11:57 AM Re: Harmonizers
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yeah--What Uncle Dave said!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#146938 - 08/31/04 12:30 PM Re: Harmonizers
trtjazz Offline

I use the Voiceworks rackmount with their floor pedal and it works bullet proof and from what I have heard and my ears, it sounds better and more realistic than the digitech.

I drive it by both midi keyboard and midi guitar and have had no issue with it at all.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#146939 - 08/31/04 12:35 PM Re: Harmonizers
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
For a real time audio sample of the Digitech VR in action, check out: www.boydsongs.com
and go to the Nightingale song.
Much of the realism in any harmonizer comes from balance and understanding. You need to think like a vocal ensemble, and not just a soloist with some digital help. There's a whole school of thought that aids the creative process when dealing with vocal harmonies. Listen to Manhatten Transfer or Four Freshman or Beach Boys or Take 6 for more of what I mean.

Singing harmony is an art all unto itself. Do the study, and then do the performance!

#146940 - 08/31/04 05:37 PM Re: Harmonizers
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Hi "mikeathome1"

Would you know what cc's I would need to use with my Psr2000 Vocal Harmonizer?...Or if you would be so kind in giving some kind of instruction as to how this is played out

Thanks
Ron

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#146941 - 08/31/04 06:01 PM Re: Harmonizers
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I'm not really sure what you mean.I use the voiceworks with midi, there is a section in the back of the manual that tells you what cc number does what. You just make sure the unit is set to that channel.

With the psr 2000 I usually use the left hand part to trigger the harmonies. I do that "live" or on the fly. I think you can trigger your harmonies on the 2000 that would be done on the mic setting screen. pick a song channel and mode then in your sequence write whatever harmony you wnt on that track. I think thats how it is done.

I do my sequencing on a pc becuase, you know the mouse, the screen, it's just easier. I use power tracks pro.
If I can be of any further help don't hesitate to email me at qqqwq@hotmail.com

------------------
qqqwq@hotmail.com

#146942 - 08/31/04 09:35 PM Re: Harmonizers
Vquestor Offline

Thanks all. You've been very helpful.

#146943 - 08/31/04 09:45 PM Re: Harmonizers
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I used to own the Digitech Vocalist Workstation EX. I found the main advantage of that was its 'on the fly' table top design slider controls. I have noticed a substantial improvement in harmony sound quality with my TC Helicon VoiceWorks unit & continue to be very happy with the results, both in the studio, and on stage. Is it worth the difference in expense? It's your call, but for me personally, yes it is. - Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online