SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#146823 - 09/20/02 06:39 AM Yamaha Midispot styles
Beakybird Offline

For sale at Yamahasoft's website (someone can post the exact address) are styles by a third party, Midispot.

I purchased a set of 8 styles called Swing for the price of $25.

I was somewhat disappointed after purchasing the Yamaha Power Styles. A few of the styles had unappealing notes in the arrangement. Some of them had very cheesy sounds. About four of them were halfway decent so that I might use them for a number.

These styles might be useful for a specific song, so some people might be interested in them.

Other players might enjoy them, but with the large number of professional styles out there (Many of us downloaded the CVP209 styles back in the days of the Wild West), I would listen very carefully to the MP3s available before I purchased another Midispot set.

Beakybird

#146824 - 09/20/02 06:46 AM Re: Yamaha Midispot styles
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks for that advice Beakybird. Some years back I also purchased Yamaha's XG commercial style disks for my PSR730 and PSR740. I was also very disappointed at them, there didn't seem to be much use of velocity changes and little dynamics. Also as you pointed out in the midispot styles, there were quite a few "bum" notes, dischords and unusual harmonies. I would say though that Neil Blakes "Top Trax" style disks are superb for covering well known songs, very professionally done!

Regards
Simon

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

#146825 - 09/20/02 02:58 PM Re: Yamaha Midispot styles
Beakybird Offline

I just noticed that one of the styles on the disk was rubbish. Some of the others had phrases or pads that were too involved and didn't sound right with chord changes. I found that when I reassembled these with PSR2000's Style Creator using internal styles, I was able to get very good results with a few of these styles. I used one of the styles for "Put on a Happy Face" at one of the retirement homes I worked at today, and I got a great response.

Thanks Simon for the FYI with those Top Trax.

Beakybird

#146826 - 09/21/02 01:41 AM Re: Yamaha Midispot styles
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Hi!
Maybe I have a bad taste, but I think the spot styles are great!

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#146827 - 09/21/02 02:10 AM Re: Yamaha Midispot styles
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
In my humble opinion the MidiSpot styles
are real great, at least at Technics and
Solton/Ketron.
Maybe the sort of styles is too "nordic"
or Scandinavian for the users elsewhere?
Happy playing
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online