SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#146589 - 05/04/02 09:17 PM Dreamer Really Pushed My BIG BAND Button
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Andrea’s posting of a great contemporary arrangement of “Moonlight Serenade” got me thinking that maybe a few of you might be interested in some big band arrangement of the old swing tunes. I played 2nd trumpet in an 18 piece band in the late forties and we played many of the Stan Kenton charts - 5 trumpets, 5 trombones, 5 saxes that doubled on other woodwinds and piano, bass and drums. To say that we moved a lot of air, was a understatement. Last year I produced a big band CD and found that getting that kind of instrumentation from my KN6000 was an interesting challenge.

I’d certainly appreciate your comments and suggestions. Please give a listen to “It Don’t Mean A Thing If It Ain’t Got That Swing” on the mp3 page of www.kool-keys.com

Frank

#146590 - 05/04/02 11:34 PM Re: Dreamer Really Pushed My BIG BAND Button
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Frank, I did what?
Ok, just kidding. I have listened to your song and I liked it; the sound is great. The best part, to me, was the second one, when the horns and the electric guitar step in.
The sax solo was beautifully thought, but the notes are a bit uneven (some were loud, others too soft).
You made me thinking about recording an arrangement with 5 trumpets, 5 trombones and 5 saxes (thinking better, that would make 15 tracks just for the horns..... )
Andrea

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 05-05-2002).]

#146591 - 05/05/02 06:03 AM Re: Dreamer Really Pushed My BIG BAND Button
Mario Offline

Loc: Wayside, New jersey, USA
Frank:
What a great idea. Go for it! I will be listening.
On you rendition of "It don't mean a thing" Chords, arrangement and instrumentation are fine. the lead needs a little more Quantization(notes are rushed a little) and perhaps a little a more syncopation(I think we visited the subject before)Otherwise, keep up the good work.
Mario

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online