SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#14621 - 05/02/00 10:02 AM BIG TIME PROBLEM WITH SK880
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
For 8 months or so, sk880 was reliable.

Now, there is a big problem, every once a while, one key gets stuck in hold mode. I find the key and I press it but nothing happens.

Do you know how I get rid of it?

I basically play tons of keys at the same time (layered with multiple thick sounds) and thus consuming all the polyphony and then that sounding note stops.

This is very very bad and very embarrassing especially with live audience. Imagine after you finish your performance, one lousy note is still sounding constantly!!!!

The Keyboard is not acceptable like this.

Any input please or suggestions?

#14622 - 05/03/00 02:33 AM Re: BIG TIME PROBLEM WITH SK880
Equinox61user Offline

Is it every time the same key, or not? I personally think it is a technical problem which needs to be fixed, especially because you hadn't problems the last months.

On the Equinox I have a similar thing, when I switch off a track during playing sometimes a note hangs, but that is not a big problem, also because I do not give live performances.

No -- I think you must return it to the shop and let them check and repair the sk880, make sure you have an easy method to reproduce the problem.

#14623 - 05/03/00 05:54 AM Re: BIG TIME PROBLEM WITH SK880
DannyJay Offline

Loc: Merritt Island, FL, USA
Since you didnt mention it, I am assuming you have tried the "panic" button. Press help, then the right arrow key above the display. This will not fix the cause of the problem, but it may help stop the stuck note.

I have the same question as another ... is it just one key and if so it could be a mehcanical "switch" problem that is released when the poly runs out.

The best suggestion is a tech. Second ask General Music on the Peavey forum if others have had the same problem.

#14624 - 05/03/00 06:46 AM Re: BIG TIME PROBLEM WITH SK880
Gregg Bizier Offline

Loc: Plainville, MA
I told you this would happen. It seems to happen when things are at their 'busiest', doesn't it? I suggest you go into the pedal board settings and make sure you don't have the sustain invoked. DJ's suggestion works most of the time, sometimes it doesn't. GEM needs to address this issue with an OS update. Any idea where to begin? I'm certainly not looking forward to any support from them. They can't even supply product that a customer is willing to pay for.

Gregg

#14625 - 05/03/00 12:03 PM Re: BIG TIME PROBLEM WITH SK880
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Thanks all for the replies:

1) it does not happen all the time.

2) not to the same key.

3) Some suggested that maybe it is when it the busiest... that might be true. I noticed also that after playing with styles.

4) I tried so many things and the only thing that works for sure is to play many layered keys together to make polyphony run away asap.

5) the problem is that I cannot reproduce it at all. It just happens without expectance.

shall we ochrestrate a move to bug GEM to fix it?

And by the way, I am bothered by the fact that it did not happen to me ... not even once... in the last six months!!!

#14626 - 05/05/00 11:12 AM Re: BIG TIME PROBLEM WITH SK880
Gregg Bizier Offline

Loc: Plainville, MA
Whatever you have in mind for getting GEM to at least recognize that there's a problem and cutting a new version of OS, I'd be standing right behind you. the only other thing I can say about the 'stuck note' is that I don't believe it happens at all when using it with its default sounds and styles intact. It seems to be vulnerable to 'hanging' after making changes. I'll try messing around with it some more to come up with more details. A recipe for disaster, if you will.

Gregg

#14627 - 05/07/00 02:40 PM Re: BIG TIME PROBLEM WITH SK880
JoostMerema Offline

Loc: Netherlands
INdeed it would be good to have a recipe for disaster. I am having two problems constant with GEM keyboards.
1) A tone (note so you will) keeps hangning. Changing the perf, style or song doesn't help. Maybe the keyboard puts the call for a certain note in it's int memory, and after many requests/threads the OS is a bit unstable and a thread is forgotten to be ended (in other words; the OS doesn't say, he I played it, remove the request for that tone)

2) Lock-ups. My personal recipe: Go change all sounds with sysex commands, and as many samples as you can. Play than eg with a hammond sample a funky solo. Bount to freeze. Also when changing a lot of parameters in the micro-edit, esp. with the undo function on. My personal record is about 25 changes, and than the WK4 freezes. You can also have troubles when loading WAV samples. The WK gets really sticky slow after loaded 4 WAV samples and then trying to assign them

I don't have hope GEM will work on this for releasing a new OS for the WK4. I pray that in the next keyboard (WK8plus, WK10 or something) the put in a RISC Alpha Processor/Intel PII/PIII for loading and doing al things other than processing sound. And a sound-proccesor next to that. That would solve most of typical GEM problems. I think ;-)

Greetz
Joost

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online