SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#146083 - 07/28/05 07:00 PM Re: i've recorded a few things!
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Yep, you got a showbiz voice and purty, too.

I downloaded Kristal software, it's free like Audacity. I finally figured out how to load a wav file, sheesh, (from my recorder... but you can record WITH Krystal like you can Audacity)... and I think it might be better than Audacity. It has lots of knobs to twist!

I don't know what I'm doing either, so there. You have a brother. We'll screw up together. I'm having a helluva time getting reverb done right. Lately, I'm just using psr2000 reverb, heck with software, and it's doing okay. I even just did one guitar/vocal, using psr2000 reverb (I used a splitter and piped vocal/guitar through psr2000) and it sounds fine and dandy.

Keep sangin'. As they say down here. Or over here, I guess to you.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#146084 - 07/28/05 07:23 PM Re: i've recorded a few things!
girljam Offline

Loc: FL
thanks fran and bill, for taking a look see!
I DON"T mind critics at all, or i wouldn't post here! But yes, sometimes the folks here in Hudson FL want it just like the record, and we oblige!
I'm not, and will never be, a sound gal! Mixing and recording and all that stuff is not my forte, and don't want it to be!! I'll do the best I can, and sounds like I'm not alone!!!
I truly enjoy what I do, and enjoy hearing from all of you, and love to see and hear your stuff too!
I hope to keep adding more sound clips as i learn and practice, and i do appreciate the support! (and thanks for the "purdy" comment!!!)

Jill

ps - hey bill, whereabouts in tx/la are you?? I lived in Amarillo for 4 yrs, then dallas area for another 4 years . . .

[This message has been edited by girljam (edited 07-28-2005).]

PSR S970, PSR S910, ShureSM57 mics, and way too much misc.

#146085 - 07/28/05 07:33 PM Re: i've recorded a few things!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Fran. I really don't think my comments were out of line. In fact, they included BOTH compliments AND suggestions of which I made sure to clearly POINT OUT were only my PERSONAL opinion. It's really no different than our Roland vs Yamaha debate. There's no right or wrong, just opinions, of which I thought we're all freely open to discuss here.

Interestingly enough, Jill later personally emailed me to express her appreciation for my feedback as well as invited me to share my comments on future songs as well.

If my song comments & feedback really have been inappropriate, please point out specific instances. I think I've always been fair and balanced. I'm sorry if I ever offended anyone here.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 07-28-2005).]

#146086 - 07/28/05 08:06 PM Re: i've recorded a few things!
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Heck, I thought you were in England! Haha.

I am at this moment, which is subject to change, about 20 miles from DonM's house. Near Shreveport.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#146087 - 07/28/05 08:24 PM Re: i've recorded a few things!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Fran ... I don't think Jill took as much issue with Scott's comments as you did ... And he was (admittedly)expressing his OWN opinion, which as a member of this forum he has a right to do, as do YOU ...

When someone lays themself out for others to hear, I think it is expected (hoped for) that there will be some feed back... especially when one says "Guess it's open season now!"
Jill has asked and received help from this forum and she will continue to do so as she puts together her 'act' to take it on the road as a solo ... I am sure she is strong enough to accept some 'constructive' criticism ...

Scott... While the use of midi backing files may not be for everyone (apparently you included), it is a resource many others use ... I think a number of us perhaps consider ourselves "entertainers" more than 'players', and I for one will use whatever technology is available to help satisfy the client ... I started out many years ago playing unamplified accordion ..I now play an arranger keyboard WHY??? ... because I can and it helps satisfy my clients...
I have often said that I miss "the old days" when our band could take a top hit, play it in 'our' style and the clients would love it ... Unfortunately, that's not the case anymore...Too often now, if it doesn't sound like the record it's not good enough...

Jill ... I've listened to your songs, and if I may suggest, you might want to be careful with the delay/echo/reverb during live performance ...although I thought it gave "Summertime" a nice quality...
As others have said ... You sound good, you look good, and based on what I've read from you, you have certain standards which will help you be successful in this crazy business...
t.

#146088 - 07/29/05 05:54 AM Re: i've recorded a few things!
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Hey, Jill, what a good work!

I know that styles mostly sound artificial and cheesy but nevertheless you did a good job with your voice - it was a live take without using any tracks. I know that this is a hard discipline!

I also agree with the too much effect setting. And like you mentioned it the voice level was a little bit to loud. But that's normal for a first recording...
I know your next ones will be way better!!!

It's a personal opinion to say wether somebody's looking good or not. But in my opinion the guys who voted that you're looking good are absolutely right!
To succeed in showbiz you won't need only musical talent - you'll also need charisma! I think that you have both!!!

Keep on that good work!!!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 07-29-2005).]

#146089 - 07/29/05 06:09 AM Re: i've recorded a few things!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Jill, I just listened to your Summertime..I think the effects are pretty much on the money..It gives it ambience and fullness..
Matter of fact, I think others would benefit by adding a little more effects on their recordings...it makes a big difference..Effects do not have to bury the vocals , but support the vocals.. Another good job..

#146090 - 07/29/05 07:08 AM Re: i've recorded a few things!
girljam Offline

Loc: FL
thanks all -

I still can't quite figure out how to get some of the reverb out of my recordings . . . They don't sound that way when i'm playing them live here, i've changed mic settings a few times, but it's still a big learning curve for me.

In case i didn't mention, i'm using audacity, so if anyone here has any suggestions that might help me "tweak", please pass them along! It's not in the budget to be buying any new software right now, seeing as I just got a new computer, and have some logitech speakers on the way!

Jill

PSR S970, PSR S910, ShureSM57 mics, and way too much misc.

#146091 - 07/29/05 08:28 AM Re: i've recorded a few things!
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Quote:
Originally posted by girljam:
thanks all -

I still can't quite figure out how to get some of the reverb out of my recordings . . . They don't sound that way when i'm playing them live here,

Jill

....ain't that the truth and something that never ceases to amaze me!

I can set up here at home and even though I say it myself the sound is not half bad. Try to record it and WHAMMY ..... who knows what happened!! Every little flaw seems to be picked up and what you thought sounded like cool effects turn out to make you sound like you are performing in a tunnel!

I need my own private sound engineer because I don't think I'm ever going to figure it out!

On the other hand Jill..... persevere and when you do figure it out you can teach me (as long as you don't use them there technical terms )

Tony

------------------
www.tonywmusic.co.uk

#146092 - 07/29/05 09:17 AM Re: i've recorded a few things!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Jill, thanks for sharing your personal rendition of "Summertime". I think this highlights the kind of personally creative artistic expression achieved when utilizing auto accomp arranger keyboard playing along with singing, vs singing along to a commerically produced karaoke midi backing track. Very good re-balanced effects & mix now. Jill, keep up the terrific progress you're making in adapting from acoustic piano to arranger keyboard mode playing. You're doing great. - Scott

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online