SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#146093 - 07/29/05 11:44 AM Re: i've recorded a few things!
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Jill...

Just listened to your songs. Not bad, in fact, for first time and "on the fly", I'd say great. I can't give you any technical advice, since at this point I'm probably one step behind you as far as recording. But thke advantage of what you can leard here. This is a great forum with some folks willing to share some valuable assistance. Keep going and good luck.

Glenn

#146094 - 07/30/05 10:30 AM Re: i've recorded a few things!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony W:
....ain't that the truth and something that never ceases to amaze me!

I can set up here at home and even though I say it myself the sound is not half bad. Try to record it and WHAMMY ..... who knows what happened!! Every little flaw seems to be picked up and what you thought sounded like cool effects turn out to make you sound like you are performing in a tunnel!

When you are singing live you are not just hearing your voice from your speakers or headphones ( though headphones can help you hear more of the processed sound over your voice ). A lot of the vocal you are hearing when you sing is your own voice in both the air and also through the bone in your own head. That dry signal balanced with the effected vocal diminishes the reverb effect a lot. But when you listen to a recording you only hear the effect vocal and you now hear a lot more of the reverb than you could when you were actually singing. Knowing that, when recording always set the reverb/effects level lower than you usually like to hear it over your own voice singing live. It may not sound quite as impressive while you are performing it but it will sound much better in the recording. It's worth trying a test recording first and listening to the result and adjust the effects accordingly.

I enjoyed hearing Jill's recordings. "Boots" brings back a lot of memories as it was the first 45 RPM single I bought back in the 60s.

#146095 - 07/30/05 11:10 AM Re: i've recorded a few things!
girljam Offline

Loc: FL
This makes so much sense, thanks nigel -
i am trying different levels and doing some sample recording, and i see a big difference. The last andrews sisters song I did sounded much cleaner to me, as far as reverb/echo, so i think i'm on the right road!!!

Jill

PSR S970, PSR S910, ShureSM57 mics, and way too much misc.

#146096 - 08/02/05 06:55 PM Re: i've recorded a few things!
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Jill:

Looked at your site and attempted to listen to Summertime. Great start on your site and your voice is ideal for that song. My dial-up connection prevents me from hearing the full song due to buffering. (My PC is an ancient clunker, so don't be concerned about your site.) Keep up the good work. Glad to see your posts here from time to time.

RICE (The Lone Arrnager) PSR-2000

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online