SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#146051 - 10/20/05 09:00 AM OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)
brmoore Offline

Loc: charlottesville, Va., U.S.A.
Hi:
I have been using the XP Searh function in XP and it took forever to locate files etc. Found this FREE program called Copernic
which is amazing. The search that took 10 mins with XP took less than 3 seconds with
Copernic (Gods honest truth). It takes a
good amount of time to set up as it indexes
every file on your Hard Drive. Once this is
done it indexes automatically. It then
performes searches from its index. You can
search anything -midis,text files, videos
etc etc etc.It allows you to choose the
extensions you wish to search. You can get
info and Download at www.copernic.com
Bruce

#146052 - 10/20/05 09:02 AM Re: OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)
Dnj Offline

Better then Google?

#146053 - 10/20/05 09:10 AM Re: OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)
brmoore Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Better then Google?

Google, Microsoft etc are PRIMATIVE compared
to Copernic. I am not fooling when I say I
ran a search of over 500,000 midi files on
2 Hard Drives in less than 3 Seconds. I
could not believe it. Go to their site and
read the info. You can also search the net
for reviews as I did - thats why I gave it
a try.
The only drawback is the initial indexing
time (but you can still use your computer
while this is being done). I still do not
know why it is free (no pop ups or adds etc)
Bruce

#146054 - 10/20/05 09:22 AM Re: OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)
Dnj Offline

#146055 - 10/22/05 02:57 PM Re: OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
Thanks Bruce for sharing with us.
The good news is spreading from here via the wife as I type.
It is a truly great programme.
As with you I always found windows search
frustrating.
Thanks again

Cousin Ken

#146056 - 10/22/05 03:06 PM Re: OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Thanks for the info Bruce
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#146057 - 10/22/05 04:43 PM Re: OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
Thanks for the reminder !!!

I did have Copernic on a previous machine and somehow forgot to get it again. Google still has its fine points too. I am going to reinstall Copernic I remember it being a joy to use.

Jerry

#146058 - 10/22/05 05:04 PM Re: OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)
chony Offline

Loc: New York
If you have a Mac, upgrade to OS Tiger. That includes 'Spotlight' which has the fastest search engine in the world.

When you search via Spotlight, you’re actually accessing a comprehensive, constantly updated index that sees all the metadata inside supported files — the “what, when and who” of every piece of information saved on your Mac — including the kind of content, the author, edit history, format, size and many more details. And because Spotlight indexes content as well, your search results include what appears inside a file or document, not just its title.

#146059 - 10/23/05 03:57 AM Re: OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Hey Bruce, my friend!!!!!!
What a fantastic link here.
I used to use Copernic many moons ago but forgot to update it on my latest PC. I liked it then and even more now!
The search function is AWESOME!!!!
I already tried out searches for "music" (nothing specific, just music as a category)
and then narrowed down the searches using a "*.xxxx" for both title and artist and within a second,YES A SECOND, the song came up together with a floating player and STRAIGHT AWAY you can hear the song.
Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks Bruce
cheers
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#146060 - 10/23/05 03:01 PM Re: OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Guys,

Any of you using Windows XP can go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, select Add/Remove Windows Components (on the left side), and turn on the check box next to the Microsoft Indexing Engine. This will give you similar capabilities, without having to download third-party tools with questionable side effects.

Regards,
Alex

#146061 - 10/24/05 12:08 AM Re: OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex K:
. This will give you similar capabilities, without having to download third-party tools with questionable side effects.

Regards,
Alex

Hi Alex,
I wonder why you speak warily about Copernic?
We have known Copernic for quite a few years and respect it. It has always shown high professionalism.
In my case, any time I can get away from MS I hasten to do that because it seems to have a monopoly and therefore oblivious to competition.
Since downloading Copernic's new index feature I have used it many times now and stand back in awe at its efficiency.
cheers
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

[This message has been edited by eddiefromrotherham (edited 10-24-2005).]

#146062 - 10/24/05 12:12 AM Re: OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)

Quote:
Better then Google?

Hi DNJ
Google is a search engine for Internet only.
Copernic's new index facility is for your own data.
Actually if you ask Copernic to find something for you from the internet, it actually uses Google!
cheers
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#146063 - 10/24/05 06:10 AM Re: OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Here's some info that was posted about Copernic last Novemeber by PC World.

Copernic Gets It Right
In contrast, CDS offers a user interface that assists you in sorting and finding data. CDS works as fast as you can type, and your results are sorted according to file type and date. Unlike GDS, Copernic's tool can find PDF files, and will automatically detect external hard drives connected to your PC and index them as well.

But one thing that Copernic's free desktop search engine doesn't do is include secure Web pages in its index. And that's a good thing, since secure Web pages (those whose URL starts with "https") include things like online banking statements and e-commerce sites where your credit card information resides.

With Google's tool, unless you indicate otherwise either at installation or later, all such information is included, even though such pages are supposed to be secure and accessible only if you have entered the correct user names and passwords for your protection. GDS does, however, let you easily select the types of files you want indexed via its Preferences page.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 10-24-2005).]

#146064 - 10/24/05 07:57 AM Re: OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)
brmoore Offline

For those of you using Copernic you can get it to Index most any extension you can think of. Just push the Option button and
select Advanced Tab. You will see a list of way over 100 extensions you can index. If you don't see extension you want push the
Add button and just type it in.
This program still amazes me.
Bruce

#146065 - 10/24/05 08:13 AM Re: OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)
brmoore Offline

Hi Again:
I forgot to mention something very important. On two occasions I had questions
about Copernic and emailed them for Help.
The first time I received an answer in about
3 hours. The next time I was answered in less then an hour. They even sent me a link to get the newest version ( it just fixes
a couple of Bugs ). When's the last time you got service like that from Bill Gates ?
Bruce

#146066 - 10/24/05 09:55 AM Re: OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by eddiefromrotherham:
Quote:
[b]Better then Google?

Hi DNJ
Google is a search engine for Internet only.
Copernic's new index facility is for your own data.
Actually if you ask Copernic to find something for you from the internet, it actually uses Google!
cheers
Eddie

[/B]

Eddie,

Google now has a desktop search component that you can install that will search your desktop files in ADDITION to the internet when you do a Google Search. It is very fast and very intuitive and it works quite well. Give it a try to see if you like it yourself!

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#146067 - 10/24/05 10:35 AM Re: OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)

Hi Al
thanks for the info on Google.
Yes, I have looked at the list of info available from Google. I didn't download the Desktop Search but I take your word for it that it is as fast as Copernic. I figure that one lightning connector is enough
cheers
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#146068 - 10/24/05 11:24 AM Re: OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Quote:
Originally posted by eddiefromrotherham:

Hi Alex,
I wonder why you speak warily about Copernic?
We have known Copernic for quite a few years and respect it. It has always shown high professionalism.
In my case, any time I can get away from MS I hasten to do that because it seems to have a monopoly and therefore oblivious to competition.
Since downloading Copernic's new index feature I have used it many times now and stand back in awe at its efficiency.
cheers
Eddie

[/B]

Eddie,

I am glad you are enjoying Copernic - I certainly have no beef with it. If you prefer to use non-Microsoft software, I am sure Copernic will do the job - you are running Linux, right?

I myself have been a Windows user for years (and a software engineer to boot). In my experience, with computers, like with anything else, there is no such thing as a free lunch - very often, what seems like a perfectly innocuous and safe piece of free software ends up collecting your usage patterns, or info on the contents of your hard drive. I am not saying that Copernic does this - it may have been written by a perfectly altruistic person who wants to spend his life laboring towards the world peace and the betterment of humankind and their computing environment, while subsisting only on the rainwater and acorns which fall off the oak tree. However, even people like that eventually run out of steam, and you end up having dll conflicts and other things which start to fail for no expainable reason, forcing you to reinstall your OS. However, your lack of problems with Copernic is not in itself an assurance that it does not have hidden components aiming to harm your system. Not that Microsoft has not been guilty of similar faults, but they have mostly cleaned up their act, and most of their current software has quite a high quality.

Again, I know nothing about Copernic, and have no beef with it,per se. However, if one wants to use the tools already available to him, rather than download the new ones, and subjecting themselves to possible risks, Windows Indexing engine is it, and will be accessible the next time you use Windows Search tool right within the Windows Explorer.

Regards,
Alex

#146069 - 10/24/05 02:26 PM Re: OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)
brmoore Offline

Hi Alex:
You are right about 2 things. First there is no such thing as a free lunch and second that you know nothing about Copernic.
As far as the free lunch goes Copernic puts out two other Search Programs which require a purchase. The freeware version is clearly designed to steer you toward the paid version - Hell ! we all have to make a living. Guess I'm lucky that the freeware version satifies my search needs.
Before I installed Copernic I ran a search of every review I could find as to
the possibility it was Spyware.
One study (Powertools Forum)compared it
to Google. With Google they turned up 4 spyware hits, and with Copernic only 1. That
hit by the way was mamma.com which was one of Copernics search engines (thus no hits).
Softpedia Labs ran a study on 3/7/05 and
Copernic was found to be 100% clean (no malware, no Spyware and no Viruses). PC Magazine on 3/2/05 backs up these findings and gives Copernic 4 out of 5 stars.I have many other studies to support these findings an will be happy to send the links to anyone interested.
You seem to have a problem with using what you call "New Tools" Are you still using the Apple 2e - I doubt it. We should
be careful in selecting what we use, but
not discount it before we research it.
I promise I will not say another word on this topic.
Bruce

#146070 - 10/24/05 02:40 PM Re: OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Copernic has been around for years, (If memory serves correct I first used it on a Windows 95 Pc in the Nineties) its one of those programs like WinZip SiSoft Sandra etc, which are given away on computer magazine cover discs.
They make their money on other software they make, which hopefully you will purchase after finding out how good Copernic is.
Point to note, even with indexing enabled, Windows search is still a snail compared Copernic, and this is unlikely to change until Windows Vista is released.

Bill

#146071 - 10/25/05 12:30 AM Re: OT Great FREE Search Program (Midi etc)

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex K:
Eddie,

- you are running Linux, right?

Hi Alex
No I am not running Linux. I guess that's yet another assumption you made
I was going to answer the points you made in your last mail but it looks as if Bruce has done it for me.
I have always been a sceptic like you but in this case I reckoned there was enough evidence around to guess that Copernic's offer for something free was kosher and would be financed by offering its 'plus' version for a small fee. As Bruce says the present version admirably fits my needs at the moment but I am fully prepared to consider any 'plus' version after looking at it.
I always like lively discussion Alex and welcomed your comments.
cheers
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online