SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#145936 - 06/28/05 01:03 PM OT: GREAT MUSIC LIVES
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
This is slightly OT, but has to do with music and the there was a kb player (playing a kurzwiel) ...
In Providence, RI we have an 'event' called "Waterfire" http://www.waterfire.org/
On certain Saturdays in the summer, steel baskets 'floating' in the river are filled with oak and hickory and set ablaze ... I think there are 100 of these baskets ... it's a beautiful sight and brings thousands of people into the city... A part of Steeple St. is closed and Verizon sets up a stage for a jazz concert ... Last Saturday The Steve Chaplin Quartet was featured ... What make this note worthy? ...the ages were from 14 yrs to 17 yrs old!!! the way these kids played, I felt they hadn't been breathing long enough to know that much about music !!! ... incredible ... it was great to see that jazz lives in young people ...
t.

#145937 - 06/28/05 07:27 PM Re: OT: GREAT MUSIC LIVES
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Tony...
Check out Renee Ohlsted. She is 15 years old and has an album out doing some dyno-mite arrangements of old Jazz Standards, including
"Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby", "Taking A Chance On Love", "Meet Me, Midnight" and others.

She was recently featured on PBS and on Oprah saying her favorite singers were Etta James, Billie Holiday, etc. And you can hear the influence in her voice and styling.

They say "What goes round, comes round." I hope so.

Eddie

#145938 - 06/29/05 03:33 PM Re: OT: GREAT MUSIC LIVES
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Tony....Great link thanks nice website also...Eddie....where do we go to hear Renee
play..thanks..BTW, I hear you chickened out.
Tony Rome

#145939 - 06/29/05 03:34 PM Re: OT: GREAT MUSIC LIVES
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Rome:
Tony....Great link thanks nice website also...Eddie....where do we go to hear Renee
play..thanks..BTW, I hear you chickened out.
HEHEHE...
Tony Rome

#145940 - 06/29/05 07:05 PM Re: OT: GREAT MUSIC LIVES
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Whoops... I misspelled her name it is Renee OLSTEAD. Her debut album should now be in stores. I bought a couple of tracks from it at Walmart's site.

I see she has a nice site at: http://www.reneeolstead.com/
If you are not on dialup and the moon is right, you might even hear her singing Summertime on it.

Eddie

#145941 - 06/30/05 03:37 AM Re: OT: GREAT MUSIC LIVES
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Tony :

Thanks for the post on Steve Chaplin. I'm from Rhode Island too. I'll keep my eyes and ears opened for their next performance. Tony are you doing any gigs here in the Ocean State?

And Renee Ohlsted wow, that kid can sing!

#145942 - 06/30/05 06:40 AM Re: OT: GREAT MUSIC LIVES
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Renee is GREAT! She is also on a major network sitcom (can't remember the name).

Fifteen! I have guitars with strings older than that.

What about our buddy Phil? He's ambitious, a rapidly developing musical talent, he's building a studio and about to finish a web site for me.

Talented kids make me optimistic for the future.

Russ

#145943 - 06/30/05 08:31 AM Re: OT: GREAT MUSIC LIVES
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
The show Renee is on is Still Standing...one of the major networks on Tuesday or Wednesday
nights. She has performed a song from her album once on the show. Lightweight show, but she's "perky" as hell...a good little actress.

Check it out!

Russ

#145944 - 06/30/05 04:36 PM Re: OT: GREAT MUSIC LIVES
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Tony :

Thanks for the post on Steve Chaplin. I'm from Rhode Island too. I'll keep my eyes and ears opened for their next performance. Tony are you doing any gigs here in the Ocean State?

And Renee Ohlsted wow, that kid can sing!

Steve.... Nice to 'meet' you ... I'm not doing anything steady right now, just some private gigs and senior parties ... how about yourself? ...
t.

#145945 - 07/03/05 04:23 AM Re: OT: GREAT MUSIC LIVES
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Steve.... Nice to 'meet' you ... I'm not doing anything steady right now, just some private gigs and senior parties ... how about yourself? ...

Tony:
Nice to meet you as well. I'm doing same type of gigs you are private parties, some cocktail hours at weddings and senior/retirement homes.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online