SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#145784 - 03/29/06 04:26 PM VSTi onlt on certain program change
Jick Duck Offline

Loc: Brooklyn NY
Hi everyone,

As I have once posted already, I am using forte and sound fonts for my soft arranger for LIVE use! I have no real problems. Once you get the system configured it works like a charm.

I am using Live Synth Pro to play sound fonts. I recently downloaded a physically modeled trumpet VSTi from the KVR web site. Does anyone know how I can get this plug-in to play only when One Man Band is playing the trumpet? In other words, the plug-in should only play if it receives a program change message of XX. (Don't know off hand which number trumpet is.) If a different program change number is received, the plug-in should not play. This way I can substitute the trumpet sound font in live synth pro with the physically modeled plug-in.

If it is not possible using Forte, does anyone know if it's possible with another host.
By the way, I tried many hosts but I like forte the best. It's simple, efficient and doesn't give me problems. I must thank Frank Rosenthal for giving all on the synthzone forum his great advice and experience.

One idea I have is a plug-in, let’s call it ABC, which only lets through midi messages when it received program change messages as I described above. The trumpet plug-in, or any other plug-in would then be loaded into the above ABC plug-in. Does anyone know of such a plug-in?

Frank, how is your FLR2006 going along?
How many others are going the softarranger route?

Jick Duck

#145785 - 03/29/06 06:40 PM Re: VSTi onlt on certain program change
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Jick,
unfortunately my setup isn't working at the moment, as I had a melt down with my laptop.

Do you know if your plug in actually responds to program & bank changes?? ie can you actually assign it a program change number.
Are you actually using it for melody or style parts or both?

Does it make a sound all the time , or only when the soundfont trumpet is playing?

I know you can do all sorts of setups with Forte, but I've never explored it as I was only using the fonts & a basic setup was working well. Frank's the expert on this.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jick Duck:
[B]Hi everyone,

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#145786 - 03/29/06 07:20 PM Re: VSTi onlt on certain program change
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Jick Duck, I am not certain how you intend to use your Trumpet VST. You can setup forte such that it changes Scenes in reponse to program change commands. You would need to setup the appropriate channels as well and save the Scenes. If it takes more than 10 ms to load your VST then you would get a break/hiccup in your OMB Style playing.

Another alternative would be to acquire a suitable trumpet in soundfont and add it or change it in your soundfont wavetable.

#145787 - 03/29/06 07:25 PM Re: VSTi onlt on certain program change
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Jick Duck, another alternative might be to setup your Trumpet VST on the channel used by the style for the trumpet part. If the channel is used by more than one instrument you could then modify the style such that it uses a specific channel for the trumpet part only and setup up forte/Trumpet VST for the same channel.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online