Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#145591 - 10/07/04 10:57 AM Re: Watts and Ohms
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex K:
BTW, despite some posts to the contrary, I still believe that PMX2000 is a MONO mixer, as you can not pan the individual inputs to the right and left.
Regards

The PMX-2000 is 500 Watts bridged and 180 Watts X (2) (Left/Right) @ 8 Ohms or 360 Watts total in Stereo Mode. See the manual for yourself http://www.behringer.com/PMH2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Whether you believe it or not the PMX is TRUE Stereo...All you have to do is Listen to the results out the speakers and you will agree. All my patches and my MP3 player are in True stereo.

When I play with my band 7 piece band, I never move the volume knob past 5. There is a lot of headroom with this AMP for a Keyboard Player.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#145592 - 10/07/04 11:42 AM Re: Watts and Ohms
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'm constantly amazed at someof the posts pertaining to wattage and impedience applications I read on this and other forums. Unfortunately, some posts are based on information put forth by manufacturers, much of which is hype for their product.

More often than not, the rating of their sound systems is based on peak power using low impedience speakers. Peak power is almost a meainingless term, almost like an engine rated at 1,000 HP. That 1,000 HP may not be developed until the engine reaches maximum RPM.

One thing that may help in this endeavor to garner information pertaining to sound systems is to apply Ohm's Law, which is the basis for determining all things electrical. You'll find a good example of this at http://www.angelfire.com/pa/baconbacon/page2.html The main thing that should be considered with all sound sytems, IMO, is RMS power, freqency response, frequency range, and last, physical speaker size.

Have Fun,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#145593 - 10/07/04 11:49 AM Re: Watts and Ohms
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Question,

I thought that the amp needed to be less than the speakers in order to make sure you don't damage the speaker. Like if you have 175 speakers, shouldn't that be the maximum wattage output the amp should be able to produce and not go over that?

JBLs 175 watts
PMX2000 180 watts
PMH880S 200 watts

Thanks
Bob
<><

#145594 - 10/07/04 12:34 PM Re: Watts and Ohms
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
It's the combination of amps and volts that create wattage. The basic formula is I=E/R which is from the old school of learning. I is the current in amperes, E is the voltage and R is the resitance.

The forumla for determining power in watts usind direct currnt is P=EI=RI 2.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#145595 - 10/07/04 03:59 PM Re: Watts and Ohms
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
My formula is...if you smell or see smoke, the amp and speakers are not compatible..

#145596 - 10/07/04 05:16 PM Re: Watts and Ohms
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hey Bob

I reckon so, but the JBL's at 175 watts that I now own are powered speakers. I just used that as a comparison. Wondering if it was really worth me getting something that is only a few more watts, if those figures are in fact arrived at the same way.

Scott

#145597 - 10/07/04 07:21 PM Re: Watts and Ohms
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:

Scott, the info on speakers is very much like the political scene -- who's telling the truth? I have a Ampeg bass amp rated at 25 Watts witch sounds clearer and louder than a fender rated at 125 Watts.
Bottom line is to listen and decide -- use the info only as a gentle guide.

The JBL 10"s -- powered, sound great, a good full warm sound. I am inclined to agree with Dave --- Sub-woofer and you have it all. If you are talking about very large crowds (400 and up), then you need bigger speakers and lot more wattage.

Don't sell um, John C.

#145598 - 10/08/04 08:26 AM Re: Watts and Ohms
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I believe that the self-powered speakers are louder and more efficient "per watt" than unpowered, proably because each speaker has a dedicated amp that is expressly designed for maximum efficiency.
DonM

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online