SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#145531 - 07/26/06 06:20 AM First job with G-70
HankB Offline

Loc: Bossier City, La. USA
Took the G-70 out to a job last night WOW! The people that know me and my sound said something was different but couldn’t tell me what it was but they loved it. The setup was very easy as I only took one Barbetta Sona 41 the Roland V stand and my Music Pad Pro. The sound was fantastic. The sets that I had setup in memory worked well, I also put down in the set memory the most used styles such as 8beat, waltz, 4/4, 2/4 and 6/8 this helped with doing request. The weight was a factor but would not make me change my mind about the G-70. To be honest I had my PSR-3000 and Midjay in the car just in case. I will not say the G-70 is better than my 3000 it’s just different and like any new instrument gives me back the enthusiasm I loose after doing the same thing over and over. I feel the same way with a new car as you know, (this to will pass). If any of you get a G-70 I highly recommend the Roland V stand. This post is for information only. I've heard the Tyros 2 with Don Mason and it to is awesome.

#145532 - 07/26/06 07:56 AM Re: First job with G-70
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Hi Hank,

Congratulations!! Glad to hear the G70 is working out for you. How long have you owned the G70 before you went out on a job with it?

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#145533 - 07/26/06 08:04 AM Re: First job with G-70
HankB Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Hi Hank,

Congratulations!! Glad to hear the G70 is working out for you. How long have you owned the G70 before you went out on a job with it?

Regards,
Al

About two weeks still have a lot to learn.

Hank

#145534 - 07/26/06 09:56 AM Re: First job with G-70
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Hank, you said you only used the one Barbetta with the G70. Does that mean it doesn't have the same problems with phase cancellation when summed to mono that I've been hearing so much about with the Tyros 2 ?

#145535 - 07/26/06 10:59 AM Re: First job with G-70
HankB Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
Hank, you said you only used the one Barbetta with the G70. Does that mean it doesn't have the same problems with phase cancellation when summed to mono that I've been hearing so much about with the Tyros 2 ?

To be honest I must not have the ear the other members have because I could never hear what they were talking about. Don Mason and I did an A/B test with his Bose and my Barbettas I could not hear any cancellation on the Yamaha keyboard or my Midjay.

To answer your question I cannot hear any difference between one or two Barbettas using the G-70 this is not to say that it doesn’t exist but I can’t hear it.

Hank

#145536 - 07/26/06 12:53 PM Re: First job with G-70
MrEd Offline

Hank,
Glad to hear that the G70 is working out for you.

You have a pair of the Sona 41's?
I've been interested in the Barbettas, especially the Sona 41. I've never heard the Barbetta's myself, but I have heard the Bose and like what I hear.

To your ears...
Q1, What are the differences, or pros/cons of the 41's compared to the Bose?
Q2, Is there a significant change when using 1 Barbetta instead of 2 (other than volume/sound pressure)?

"I gots to know"

#145537 - 07/26/06 01:20 PM Re: First job with G-70
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Hank, good for you on the G-70... gotta be fun!

Let me add to Mr Ed's question. How would you compare, soundwise, the difference between the Barbetta Sona 31, Sona 32, and Sona 41? I believe you've had all three?

Glenn

#145538 - 07/26/06 01:37 PM Re: First job with G-70
HankB Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MrEd:
Hank,
Glad to hear that the G70 is working out for you.

You have a pair of the Sona 41's?
I've been interested in the Barbettas, especially the Sona 41. I've never heard the Barbetta's myself, but I have heard the Bose and like what I hear.

To your ears...
Q1, What are the differences, or pros/cons of the 41's compared to the Bose?
Q2, Is there a significant change when using 1 Barbetta instead of 2 (other than volume/sound pressure)?

"I gots to know"

I like the Barbettas very much I have a pair of 31’s and 32’s but only one 41 that was all I could find in stock but will buy another one when they are available. I will say the Bose is possibly the best system I have heard for what it is intended to do, but I have used powered speakers a very long time and don’t think I could get familiar with the numerous EQ settings on the Bose.

To answer Glenn's question:
I also play bass in a rock-a-billy band and the mixture of my Barbettas works in any venue for P. A., bass or keyboard amps. The sound on all my Barbetta speakers’ 31’s, 32’s and 41 is excellent but they each have their own special sound but for PA vocal I prefer the 31's.

Hank

#145539 - 07/26/06 05:47 PM Re: First job with G-70
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
To answer Glenn's question:
I also play bass in a rock-a-billy band and the mixture of my Barbettas works in any venue for P. A., bass or keyboard amps. The sound on all my Barbetta speakers’ 31’s, 32’s and 41 is excellent but they each have their own special sound but for PA vocal I prefer the 31's.

Hank

I recently bought a Barbetta 31c based on some input from a couple of forum members. I'm very happy with the 31c. I started out with a Roland KC150,I didn't like what I heard, then went to Logitech z5300s which I was happy with. Then I got a good price on a slightly used pair of z5500s and love those. I needed something easier to setup than the z5500s for the 1 hour gigs. I bought a single Mackie SRM450, but not what I wanted, plus a little too heavy for those 1 hour gigs. Now the Barbetta 31c. I like what I hear coming from that box! I use a PSR 3000 I'm with Hank I can't hear what others talk about about with stereo phase cancellation.

#145540 - 07/26/06 06:48 PM Re: First job with G-70
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Hank,
I suppose you have stolen my job since I've been out of town. Oh well.
Glad to hear everything worked out. I tried to call you from the plane in Atlanta, but the pilot rudely made me turn off my phone. Imagine that.
I'm in Tulsa now visiting my grandson and will likely head back to Louisiana tomorrow night.
BTW, I don't use the e.q. settings on the Bose. I just run it flat and e.q. from the keyboard or mixer. Works for me. I tried just about every e.q. preset on there and for me doing it this way works best.
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online