SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#145269 - 06/05/07 12:52 PM Re: T2, psr3k, etc. Harmonizer "pitch correction" quality??
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Thanks, George, for the extra info... Yes, the Roland will do that, but I have a feeling that maximus's post described the TC Helicon unit, which does a regular 'Auto-Tune' mode, and I think he's looking for an arranger that does that too... (AFAIK, the PA1X only?).

It still takes considerable skill to play EXACTLY what you are singing, unless it is the simplest and stiffest of melodies, and of course, it also stops you from playing anything else!

I just think that, although these arrangers CAN do something close-ish to what he describes, the results range from horrible to barely acceptable, and involve more musical compromises than he may be prepared to accept...

It's a LOT different adding harmonies to an already good lead voice than replacing that lead voice altogether with a retuned version...

Let us not forget, if this WAS doable easily, every singer in the world would already be doing it instead of using tapes when their voice is off (due to illness or dancing gymnastics!)... They already use it in the studio, they would use it in a flash live if it actually WORKED well....

#145270 - 06/05/07 01:00 PM Re: T2, psr3k, etc. Harmonizer "pitch correction" quality??
maximus721 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Thanks, George, for the extra info... Yes, the Roland will do that, but I have a feeling that maximus's post described the TC Helicon unit, which does a regular 'Auto-Tune' mode, and I think he's looking for an arranger that does that too... (AFAIK, the PA1X only?).

It still takes considerable skill to play EXACTLY what you are singing, unless it is the simplest and stiffest of melodies, and of course, it also stops you from playing anything else!

I just think that, although these arrangers CAN do something close-ish to what he describes, the results range from horrible to barely acceptable, and involve more musical compromises than he may be prepared to accept...

It's a LOT different adding harmonies to an already good lead voice than replacing that lead voice altogether with a retuned version...

Let us not forget, if this WAS doable easily, every singer in the world would already be doing it instead of using tapes when their voice is off (due to illness or dancing gymnastics!)... They already use it in the studio, they would use it in a flash live if it actually WORKED well....

Great point....I recently read that Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas was suspected to be using a harmonizer/pitch corrector during a recent live performance...and it's been rumored that Brittany has been using one forever now, and come to think of i...as i write I'm having a flashback of THE one and olny Cher singing "Believe" live on ...what was that show..."solid gold"???? man that was a repressed memory...but to be fair she was likely lip-synching...right? lol. oh well, maybe some good ole fashioned reverb and chorus can help me out too!

#145271 - 06/05/07 07:29 PM Re: T2, psr3k, etc. Harmonizer "pitch correction" quality??
miden Offline

Loc: The World
diki you are correct voice pitch correction/moddelling is only available as an option on the PA1x/pro.....actually there was a thread on the SOS forum i think it was where billy joel apparently sang the anthem with auto tune at the super bowl??? i think it was....anyhoo you should have read the many posts that derided him for doing so, saying they would prefer something a little "off-key" than the results coming out of the auto-tune box.....FWIW i used to own a PA1Xpro and bought the pitch correction option, and used it exactly.....0!!!! used the voice modelling once at a party!!biggest waste of $300 ever...
cheers
dennis

#145272 - 06/05/07 10:43 PM Re: T2, psr3k, etc. Harmonizer "pitch correction" quality??
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Some of the big stars ARE using Auto-Tune on shows, but ONLY with an engineer to run it, and it never gets into the monitors. If someone 'rides' the controls, inputs key and mode changes in (or a sequence track puts them in at the right point), and changes the amount needed and the speed of the re-tune in real time, then it does work (to a certain extent).

But unattended, it's a recipe for disaster!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online