SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#14512 - 06/15/06 08:09 AM NEW GENESYS XP ARRIVES
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Hi group,

Well, I took devivery on my new XP yesterday. My compliments to Generalmusic USA and my dealer for fast service. The deal way made around June 1, 2006, and I received in 6/14/2006, WHAT A DEAL!

There were also a couple of suprises. First, the XP came with a very nice soft case, which I don't believe is listed as part of the deal. The second suprise is that the operating system and music CD roms which are listed did not come with the unit. However thanks to Dave McMahan, my name was put on a list and these will be sent to me. Also thanks to dave, I was able to download the latest patch version 1.04 from Generalmusic.com and install it on the XP. So even without the CDs in my possesion I am up and running.

There seems to be a lot to learn, I am trying to use my CIAO Reedless with the XP but I think I will have to do some MIDI channel switching to be successful. More about that later.

In the near future, I will attempt to make some mp3 demos of the styles, I just need to find a place to put thenm on the net so they can be accessed.

Well, thats about it, my initial reaction is that the XP sounds great, eventhough I'm using some very small Yamaha multimedia speakers with a sub wolfer. The styles seem very good especially with four variations, and intros/endings.

Ok, back to the manual, which is the worst part. It is very difficult to understand.

Regards,
Don

#14513 - 06/15/06 09:37 AM Re: NEW GENESYS XP ARRIVES
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Well done don , enjoy the XP . Keep the forum posted on your progress .
I didn't realize that you were also a squeeze box player .
I've seen the Ciao accordion it is a nice set up .
I'll hopefully have my midi set up problems resolved on my return from holiday .

regards ................Giovanni

#14514 - 06/15/06 07:17 PM Re: NEW GENESYS XP ARRIVES
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Congratulations to Don and Giovanni! Count me in. picked up my XP last Friday. I've spent hours trying to find styles comparable to styles I’m currently using with my Korg module so that I can continue doing my regular tunes. Also, I’ve been struggling with the manual. I have a disdain for manuals in general, and although there a re lots of graphics, I’m nevertheless a bit overwhelmed with a system that is very different than the system I’ve been using for years. Dave, please make a XP tutorial video.
I did not receive the CDs as well, and I was under the impression that the patch 1.04 was already installed. I never thought to check. I have been using a Master MK4, 96 bass table top reedless controller with the XP and I have not yet used my midi accordion with the XP. I seem to be having the same problems with the bass response that Giovanni described. At this point, I don’t really know what questions to ask. I’ve been searching the manual for info about a jukebox function with no luck – does anyone know what GEM calls this function and tell me where it is in the manual? Or, is it the Playlist function? Will the tunes in Playlist play automatically or do you have to select and press start for each tune on the list?
More questions to follow – as soon as I figure out what to ask.
Ciao,
Jerry

#14515 - 06/16/06 04:25 AM Re: NEW GENESYS XP ARRIVES
donpatt Offline

Welcome to the XP owners association Jerry,

The manual is terrible! I have had better luck going to Generalmusic.com and looking at the Genesys S manual, while some of the switches are different, some things are explained better. For example, hooking up a midi accordion. I also have more questions than answers.

About the patch 1.04, its easy to install. Go to www.generalmusic.com and look up the XP then undeer downloads. Download to a floppy and then, if you can believe this, follow the instructions in your manual about upgrading the OS.

Question: How do I use my volume pedal to control only the right hand (melody) side of my accordion?

Question: I can't seem to figure out how to play manual rythm. I know you use the function Bass Split. I can get the bass to work, but not the chords. It looks like I would be able to play the chords using the voices of whichever style I had selected. All I get are string sounds which I can't get rid of. Both of my accordions, CIAO reedless and Excelsior w/midi use channel 1 for melody, 2 for chords, and 3 for the bass. This corresponds to the XP's accordion 1 setup. And yet I cant get it to work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Don

P.S. Jerry did you get the soft case with the XP?

#14516 - 06/16/06 06:37 AM Re: NEW GENESYS XP ARRIVES
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
Wrong Jerry answering, but I got the soft pad too! Nicely done and 3 manuals in 3 languages. Yes the manuals could use some improvement. (lots)

Jerry R

#14517 - 06/16/06 07:12 AM Re: NEW GENESYS XP ARRIVES
Jerry T Offline

Hello Don,
It looks like the XP association is a pretty exclusive group - 4 members - and of course Dave has one now. Sorry I can't answer any of the questions you posed. Yes, I did get a carrying case. Also, I downloaded the addendum and it shows midi accordion hook ups.
I probably won't get to spend much time with the XP until next week. Right now, I'm going to make a list of the basic functions I need to know to use the XP on a gig as soon as possible.
I'm trying to figure out what kind of stand I can use with the XP. I currently use a sturdy music stand with my Korg module but I'm not sure it will do with the XP at twice the weight. Any suggestions for a portable, reliable and light weight stand? At home I'm using a keyboard stand but it is too high to use on a gig. I play standing and I would like too have it just above waist high on my right side.
I know that Giovanni was able to get the multipedal unit. I'm very used to using pedals to provide fills, advance the style variation and for endings. The local dealer didn't know that multipedals existed. Don and Jerry (from Maine), were you able to get a multipedal unit? For now -
Ciao,
Jerry

[This message has been edited by Jerry T (edited 06-16-2006).]

#14518 - 06/16/06 08:47 AM Re: NEW GENESYS XP ARRIVES
donpatt Offline

Hi Jerry T., and Jerry R., Giovanni and Dave,

I was told by GeneralmusicUS that the pedal is not avaiable in the USA, but that if it could be had it would be very expensive. Giovanni put me in touch with his dealer in the UK, however, I have not heard from that dealer whether he could or would sell me the pedals. That is a "must have item" for me. Perhaps if enough of us ask GEM will bring them in. I am actively persuing a European connection.

About the stand, I'm looking into one from the Jay Fox Band Co. http://www.jayfoxband.com/. Its not shown on his web site but He has a universal one for different modules. The top tilts to make it easier to see the display. I don't know the height but I'm certain thats adjustable. Don't remember the price either.

Good luck,
Don

#14519 - 06/16/06 06:31 PM Re: NEW GENESYS XP ARRIVES
Jerry T Offline

Hello Don,
I agree with you, pedals are a must. We could probably get a petition together to send to GEM with all both of our signatures.
I think the stand that Jay Fox has is a mixer stand with fixed legs and wheels. I was thinking more on the lines of folding legs for portability - like a music stand. I was looking at some percussion stands and was thinking that if a tray/shelf were available to fasten atop a double tom tom or a timbale stand or a glock/bells stand that may do the trick.
Ciao,
JerryT

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online