SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#145129 - 06/08/06 10:54 PM Re: Yamaha YPG625 Arrives Friday!
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Quote:
Originally posted by Rickideemus:
The YPG-625 and 525 are now on the Yamaha's US site.

George, my grandmother used to say she was from Bulgaria. She wasn't -- she just thought it sounded funny. Don't ask me to explain.

Rick
I know. Because very few people in the U.S.A. know where Bulgaria is. Its exotic place.

Anyway, I hope that video and sound clips of the 625 will appear soon.

Regards,
George

#145130 - 06/08/06 11:46 PM Re: Yamaha YPG625 Arrives Friday!
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
George,
don't feel alone, at least I know where Bulgaria is!!!!!!

Your southern neighbour,
Theodore

#145131 - 06/14/06 08:55 AM Re: Yamaha YPG625 Arrives Friday!
Rickideemus Offline

Got it!

I picked up my YPG-625 Monday evening. It came faster than I expected. I have some minor issues, but basically, it's pretty much what I expected.

The action is superb. Except for the fact it adds 15 lbs to the kbd (grumble mumble...) I can't imagine anything better. Sensitivity default is 2 (medium) and I haven't had any desire to fool around with that yet. Maybe for some instrument other than piano.

Grand Pianos 1 and 2 were both very nice. I think I like 2 slightly better, but it's nice to have both options.

I'm no expert on synth organ sounds, but I thought the organ sounds, and electric (galaxy, etc.) pianos were all useable.

The sweet sax's and flute are superb. Trumpets are good. Trombone sounds more like a tuba. (Maybe an EQ setting will help that.) Harp needs a little help too.

Violin is HORRIBLE. Seriously. Sounds like a cross between a harmonica and a clarinet. No stringiness to it at all. And they could have left out the Live! Orchestra. The slow, wide vibrato makes it dead on arrival for me.

These are just initial impressions. I'll put up a longer review in a week or two.

R.

#145132 - 06/15/06 06:57 AM Re: Yamaha YPG625 Arrives Friday!
jeffc308 Offline

are the headphone/output usable for connecting to a mixer/monitors or are they noisy or unstable? i'm thinking about using it to record songs. how are the drum sets

#145133 - 06/17/06 02:18 AM Re: Yamaha YPG625 Arrives Friday!
Rickideemus Offline

Quote:
are the headphone/output usable for connecting to a mixer/monitors or are they noisy or unstable?

I'm probably the last person to ask about this. This is the first digital keyboard I've ever owned. I've played on a few digitals through the years, but I've never hooked one up to a mixer or anything but other people's sound systems.

I just now tried listening through the little $20 headphones you get with the survival pack. I didn't notice anything I'd call noise noise or distortion. I did hear some very subtle differences. For instance, I can't hear any difference between piano1 and piano2, with the headphones. Through the speakers, I can hear a little more reverb with piano2. Also, the harp sounds better with the headphones than through the speakers.

This may all relate to the master EQ settings. I haven't tried fooling around with that yet. All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the headphones. I thought for sure I'd have to buy a better set, but maybe not.

The violin is still bad through the headphones though. The violin sound is just terminally bad. String ensemble is OK, though.

Quote:
i'm thinking about using it to record songs. how are the drum sets

I'm not competent to judge. Snare sounds like a snare, I guess. Timpani... church bells... the few things I've tried all sound good to me. But again, I've never used the drum sets on any other keyboards.

Take that back -- I used the drum roll for Miss Hometown pageant once. Sounded like a drum roll to me.

Rick

#145134 - 06/17/06 09:09 PM Re: Yamaha YPG625 Arrives Friday!
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Hi Rick,
Congratulations on your new keyboard. I wish you many happy hours plaing it.

The way you described your first impressions of the YPG recalled me of my initial feelings of my DGX-305 which were exactly the same.

Regards,
George

#145135 - 06/17/06 09:31 PM Re: Yamaha YPG625 Arrives Friday!
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
"Trombone sounds more like a tuba."

I can't be sure because I'm not there with you , but in over 30 years of teaching and selling keyboards and organs, my guess is that you will need to play it an octave higher.

That was almost always the fix for my students and customers who didn't like a particular instrument.

I'd be curious to find out if that helped the issue with that or any of the other instruments you weren't thrilled with.

Best
Scott

#145136 - 06/18/06 12:03 PM Re: Yamaha YPG625 Arrives Friday!
jeffc308 Offline

are they 1/4 outs or regular headphone outs?

#145137 - 06/18/06 12:11 PM Re: Yamaha YPG625 Arrives Friday!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
the outputs are a 1/4" stereo headphone output, just like the DGX series. The improvement is in the Master EQ setups. Yamaha has done a good job of having settings that optimize what you source system might be, headphone, internal speakers or powered monitor or amp system. I've have tried them all and there really is a big difference between the set ups.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#145138 - 06/19/06 07:33 AM Re: Yamaha YPG625 Arrives Friday!
Rickideemus Offline

Quote:
Congratulations on your new keyboard. I wish you many happy hours plaing it.

Thanks very much, George!

Quote:
The way you described your first impressions of the YPG recalled me of my initial feelings of my DGX-305 which were exactly the same.

Except I wouldn't be able to work with the action on the 305. I'm very happy with my action, and also with the speakers. I can't be sure, playing here in my little apartment, but I think these might be all right for a large hall! When I turn the volume up too high, I'm afraid I'll scare the neighbors.

R.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online