SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#145080 - 12/29/01 05:24 PM Just Discovered PSR2000 feature
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I finally got around to spending some quality time with my PSR2000, and I discovered something that raises some possibilities and some questions.
I put some CVP209 styles into User memory a while back. Some of them are very good.
Today, while exploring, I noticed that there were some new entries in the Music Finder lists. Evidently they appeared when I loaded the CVP styles, because they call up the CVP styles from the User Memory.
I previously thought the Music Finder only called up factory styles, and that only title and tempo could be changed.
Upon a little reflections, this means that the Music Finder can be used to "remember" much more than merely tempo and title, because if it will call up User styles, they can be edited to contain voice, transpose, e.q., etc. changes.
Is this feature something new, or had I just overlooked it?
I haven't tried to create any Music Finder files, so maybe it's simple, and maybe it takes some special knowledge.
Anybody know anything about this?
Scott?
Larry?
Uncle D.?
Anyone?
Anyone?
DonM

#145081 - 12/29/01 05:56 PM Re: Just Discovered PSR2000 feature
DonM Offline

Wooaahh! I see it now. It is easy to create Music Finder files that call up User Styles. This feature is way more powerful than I knew up until now.
DonM

#145082 - 12/29/01 06:57 PM Re: Just Discovered PSR2000 feature
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Don,

Yep, all styles actually stored in the keyboard (both Preset & User) can be used in the Music Finder. But because the PSR2000 has such a limited amount of user memory space, I store only a few custom user styles in the PSR2000 itself. This enables a single custom user style to be used for a number of song titles, each with different tempo settings etc. Because of the memory restrictions of the PSR2000, I store most of my custom styles on floppy diskette as it only takes 2 seconds to load from a floppy. I typically name the customized style the name of the song I plan to use it for.

Happy 2002 to ALL !

- Scott
http://scottyee.com

#145083 - 12/29/01 11:54 PM Re: Just Discovered PSR2000 feature
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
On the PSR9000...Which I assume will work on the 2000. If you have a number styles on a floppy and make up a Music Data Base for these also saved to the same floppy. The MDB will call up these styles now from floppy as required. A number of new features like this were added in ver 3 OS recently for the 9000.
This new OS for the Yamaha's have started to provide facilities that other competitors boards have had for a couple of years.

Graham UK

#145084 - 12/30/01 12:17 AM Re: Just Discovered PSR2000 feature
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Which competitors are you hinting to, Graham?
(don't tell me, I'll try to guess...)

#145085 - 12/30/01 12:18 AM Re: Just Discovered PSR2000 feature
DonM Offline

I don't see that function available on the 2000, but I will look more closely. It seems to have options only for factory and user styles.
Thanks,
Don

#145086 - 12/30/01 01:20 AM Re: Just Discovered PSR2000 feature
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Any idea of how to edit the EQ of a drum set, (or ANY sound)and have it STAY through style changes? I don't want to rewrite all my favorites into registrations - I just want to make an adjustment for the room, and have it STAY there all night. Doesn't seem to want to cooperate. It always defaults to the original value each time a style is selected. What am I missing????

#145087 - 12/30/01 03:11 AM Re: Just Discovered PSR2000 feature
Fabien Offline

Loc: Paris, France
DonM,
It's the style file, when saved, who stores all Music Finder records related to it. So when you load that style, even on another board, it will just add corresponding MFD entries.
MFD files store only style numbers and tempo.
Fabien

#145088 - 12/30/01 05:16 AM Re: Just Discovered PSR2000 feature
Michael P. Bedesem Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, VT
With PSR1000/2000 and CVP20X, the styles now have 4 sections: Style Parts(main A etc), CASM, OTS settings and Music Finder Database. If the latter two sections are available in the style(either because its a factory style or OST has been added using Memory/OTS or MF entries via the MusucFinder window)they will be carried with the style and loaded into an instrument when the style is loaded.

I notice that if you create a MF entry for a style in the User area and then delete the style, that the Music Finder entry remains there (but disables since the style is missing). When the style is reloaded, the entry becomes active.

#145089 - 12/30/01 10:59 AM Re: Just Discovered PSR2000 feature
DonM Offline

Thanks guys, I spent several hours last night (this morning actually) working with the Music Finder and figured all this out. Should have done that before posting, but it's an interesting topic anyway.
I noticed the CVP files have the old cryptic song names, so have to change them, at least the ones I recognize.
It's great that the MF retains them even after the User memory changes. That way you can replace files in the User memory and still maintain the links.
All the time I had the PSR9000, I never worked much with the Music Finder, except to occasionally search for a request.
DonM

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online