SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#144908 - 05/09/05 05:15 PM Vocal Harmony on for every song?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Wondering if anyone has any thoughts regarding overdoing the magical Vocal Harmony effect. I have been wondering how many songs do NOT have any vocal harmony. Not many.

But also, I was just thinking if maybe you don't use VH on every song, it could work to your advantage to keep it fresher throughout the set for the audience. I dunno.

#144909 - 05/09/05 05:27 PM Re: Vocal Harmony on for every song?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
IMHO: ...ANY effect/voice/feature if overdone is going to lose the affect it has on the audience ... While ALMOST all songs have vocal harmony, not all need it, or it could be used at a low volume, and only to add 'color' to a particular word or phrase ...
t.

#144910 - 05/09/05 06:13 PM Re: Vocal Harmony on for every song?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Use it sparingly and at low levels. Gary's rule of thumb #2,000,001!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#144911 - 05/09/05 07:14 PM Re: Vocal Harmony on for every song?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
If it's on all the time it sounds artificial, boring, downright bad. Spend time learning precisely when to turn it on and when to turn it off... plus, what type of harmony to use. Use your ears... it's more of an art than a science.

Glenn

#144912 - 05/09/05 09:09 PM Re: Vocal Harmony on for every song?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
As noted, it is most effective when used sparingly. Even so, the default volume for the VH is overpowering. I run mine down in the 27-34 range.
Eddie

#144913 - 05/10/05 03:48 AM Re: Vocal Harmony on for every song?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
This all depends on whether you want to "feature" the harmonies or not.
Check out "Nightengale" on my demo page www.boydsongs.com - it showcases the harmonizer as if it were the Manhatten Transfer arrangement.
It can be Sooooo effective when used correctly.

The most important thing for me, is to "THINK" like a vocal arranger, and sing accordingly. You need to phrase differently, and approach some things with a communal effect. ANYthing can be overused, but in MY case, the harmony sound has become a trademark.

#144914 - 05/10/05 07:18 PM Re: Vocal Harmony on for every song?
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Not long ago, I used vocal harmony on every new song I wrote. (A way to mask the poor quality of my singing) As my confidence has begun to build, I find that I use VH with a little more discretion. UD is right, though. When one takes the time to "tweak" the song and style, VH can be a very powerful way to help deliver the music.

RICE (alias the Lone Arranger)

#144915 - 05/10/05 07:28 PM Re: Vocal Harmony on for every song?
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Vocal harmony can add or take away from your performance -- I agree --

Even if you have a fantastic voice, it's nice to hear a variation in the vocals.
Years past the lead singer in the band did almost every vocal --- I would sing 1 or 2 song each night -- I recieved the most applause -- not because I was better, but because I was different.

My thought, John C.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online