SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#144724 - 04/06/01 10:08 PM 9000Pro
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
I've played the PSR9000. What would I expect to see or hear that would be different on the 9000Pro??Are there additional styles(the one in the store did not have the flash rom styles loaded)Has anyone tried other styles on the 9000 ex: X1,I30,G1000etc.how did they sound?

#144725 - 04/07/01 01:58 AM Re: 9000Pro
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
To JCkeeys. Re-your 9000Pro question. A local friend has the 9000 and tells me there only about 10 new Styles on the Pro which he has copied from our dealers store model on to floppy and installed on his 9000.
Having previously had an i30 myself we have with reasonable success transferred i30 styles to the 9000. But remembering that the i30 styles contain upto 6 chord variation patterns, these can not be tranfered or activated in the 9000. My experience with style transfer from another manufacture is that its OK if you are prepared to put some work into adjusting the volumes - balance plus some voice patch changes where you think this may be required. I now have a EM2000 and these styles have also tranfered OK.

Graham UK

------------------

#144726 - 04/07/01 07:07 AM Re: 9000Pro
Clif Anderson Offline

Hear:
48MB vs 32MB, including a superior acoustic piano, vocals, etc. Plus, a physically modelled organ. Also, two plug-in slots for adding, for example, VL and AN synthesis. In addition, the vocal harmony input is improved. The new styles may use some of the new sounds, so they may sound differently than they do on the PSR-9000.

#144727 - 04/07/01 07:59 AM Re: 9000Pro
Dnj Offline

What are the names of the new 9000pro styles that arent on the psr9000 if any? also can you use them in the psr9000?

thanx

don

#144728 - 04/07/01 10:35 AM Re: 9000Pro
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi JCkeeys,
I recently bought the Pro and love it. in addition to what Clif has already mentioned, the Pro has 76 semi weighted keys wich I think give you greater expression when playing.
Hi Don,
the Pro has only 2 additional Styles, which are scat vocal Styles. I personally don't care for them, but you can download them on e-groups converted for the PSR-9000.
Eric

#144729 - 04/07/01 10:40 AM Re: 9000Pro
Dnj Offline

Eric, thanx for the reply, what about any new Sounds Live Piano etc?

#144730 - 04/07/01 02:26 PM Re: 9000Pro
Eric, B Offline

Hi Don,
the new grand piano sound is really good. As far as other sounds, there are a few additions as well as improvements, like live vocals. One of the new voices is a "Carlos-Guitar" which is really only a Jazz Guitar with distortion. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I wasn't very impressed with the PSR-9000 when heared it the first time. When I listened to the Pro for the first time I almost felt it was a different KB. The sound seemed much more real and alive. I'm sure they tweeked some of the DSP effects. Also as Clif mentioned the Pro has 48MB vs 32MB. As to the other voices I don't have a direct comparisson, maybe our friend George knows more.
Hope this helps,
Eric

#144731 - 04/07/01 03:16 PM Re: 9000Pro
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Eric,
I felt the same way when I played the PSR9000. The PRO model really seems to react different - must be the expressiveness of the keypad. It feels just as good as the keys on the "76 key" Triton.(which I believe it IS!)
I know many of you will not believe me, but I actually bought one of these beasts - even though I will miss the speakers terribly. I'm taking it out tonight for the first time. I only spent a few moments with it so far, and I don't have any custom registrations written yet, so....... it MAY be a challenge. I always take a new instrument out in the field as soon as possible, because it really makes me "learn the ropes" faster. There's nothing like "FEAR" to make you think more creatively! (and FASTER)
I tried the PC input with my laptop and the GM sequences work right away, without any fuss - there are a few files that sound a little strange to me, but I wouldn't say bad.
I'm using the outboard harmonizer too, because I haven't been able to figure out if the ONboard one can work the way I need it to. I need to trigger the harmonies with the right hand sounds, and have them sustain through the chord changes - not just react to the note values.
So for tonight, I'll play what I can, and learn as i go - wish me luck. It's gonna be weird without the speakers. What am I THINKING???????

#144732 - 04/07/01 07:26 PM Re: 9000Pro
Eric, B Offline

Hi Dave,
just a question: in case you might like the Pro enough to take it out a few times, have you considered the little satelite sytem by yamaha, that George and I have been talking about? Much better sound than the internal speakers, louder, but small enough to take with you gigging, and you can place them so that they are right in your face.
Hope you have more Luck/fun with the Pro, than you had with other KB in the past.
Eric

#144733 - 04/07/01 09:41 PM Re: 9000Pro
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Eric,
Dave got his 9000 pro from me this week and we have talked about the YMST50 speakers. Dave already has a subwoofer and wanted to know if the two satalites are available. I told him he should buy the whole system if he was going to want a small studio system. I think it's hard to beleive that this 80 watt system can sound so good. I told Dave to try to find one in a local store but I think he's not having any luck.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#144734 - 04/08/01 01:08 AM Re: 9000Pro
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Hi Dave,

Is this the guy who would NEVER EVER contemplate buying yet another keyboars
WITHOUT speakers???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, what intrigues me is why
you opted for the Pro 9000 from George's shop, while he also has the SD-1 in store and
available at short notice ?
If I were to conjecture I would almost gather that you did not fly all the way to California (why should you) but decided on purchasing the Yamaha having heard it locally and clinching a good deal with George.And of course I wish you luck, by all means, but now that you have taken the hurdel of NO speakers I am sure the Solton will be your next acquisition (in fact I have been sure about this for some time ,as you may remeber from our e-mail correspondence.)
The 64$ question remaining is whether the
Pro 9000 will just turn out to be a stepping stone to the Solton, or whether in the long run, you will hang on to both. I guess that's
enough crystal-ball gazing for now, right.
Good luck !!

john.

#144735 - 04/08/01 01:11 AM Re: 9000Pro
Uncle Dave Offline

OK Gang - here goes!
I had the 9000pro out tonight at a medium loud, high energy room that I do a few times a month and it was a GAS !
I didn't spend much time on it at home before the show, so I relied on a lot of sequences and Mini Disks.... just to get a feel for the sounds and feel. I REALLY, REALLY like the feel of the keys. They are firm and quick. Responsive and a joy to play. MUCH better than the PSR model. (sorry 9000 owners - feel is IMPORTANT to me)
I played a dozen or so patterns with great response from the crowd, and they were so lifelike, it wasn't a big change from the "produced" sound of my sequences. I always worry about the transition between the two. I don't want it to ever sound like the live stuff is weak compared to the "canned" stuff.
Here's a few observations:
1) The new Live!grand piano is wonderful. Head and shoulders above the PSR again. To be fair... it may just be tweaked to perfection, but it sounds like a whole new instrument to me.
2) The Rhodes sounds were SO much fun to play - the effects make 'em! Phase, wah wah etc. - a total blast to play.
3) As many of you know - I was a big X1 fan when it came out, and I got hooked on the styles (drums). Well, this machine has a different approach - it's simpler than the X1 styles, but as Frank mentioned..... that's OK - they are VERY musical and useable. I am certain I will get comfy with them in no time. I like the way that each variation progresses just a little busier at a time - instead of sounding like a whole new band came up just to play the chorus!
4) Layout is SO, SO logical, and easy to navigate
5) The case is solid, and attractive..... and not awful to carry. It's a little heavy, but given all the pluses.... I don't think it will be a factor for me. I'm a big strong guy, and I like to get a little excersize B4 work!
6) I plugged my laptop into the midi socket and the sequences sounded very good - I did have a few stray sounds like Donny mentioned, but not too many, and I'll weed them out easy enough. I liked the way I was able to call up tunes from the PC, and the song volume on the KB was still active from a front panel button.
7) Harmonizer-This needs a little more practice from me. I was not able to get the harmonies to stay triggered during the playing of a chord with my right hand. It seems that it works best from the left. I'm sure most users prefer that way, but I can't do it. I need more control over the changes and I often use left handed bass parts, so it won't work for me that way. Anyone that knows a workaround.... Please give me a shout! For now, I will carry my Digitech because it's too important to my sound to compromise.
I'm one of those "vocals are everything" people and I NEED them to be fat, full and responsive to my every whim. I'll keep searching for the answer to this one.
*** Overall impressions after the first night :
It's a keeper. If I can get used to hearing it without the on board speakers, I'll be fine. Right now, it's a big adjustment. I really am spoiled. I have an excellent monitor, but it's not stereo, and I like to monitor in stereo. Still...... it's a workable point. I'll adapt.
It's gonna take some time.....
("this time".....)
Love Karen Carpenter!

*** I'll add more to this review as I learn more about the board, but I really think it's pretty complete as a package. The SD1 is gonna have to be pretty terrific to stay alongside or pass this one by! And the Kn6xxx is a........... well - that's a subject for another debate! I'll leave the Technics people alone for now. I'll just say that even if the prices were the same - I believe the Yamaha to be a muchg better buy. There is NO way the Kn series is worth MORE money. Not even.
Any serious players out there that miss a good solid keyboard feel NEED to play this keyboard. I'd use it in any band - ANY where.

#144736 - 04/08/01 01:21 AM Re: 9000Pro
Uncle Dave Offline

John,
Your post must've come in while I was writing mine. I didn't see it when I replied. I haven't seen an SD1 in my neighborhood yet, but I doubt that I'll even look for one. Solton left out a few very important items for me ( and others ):
Namely:
1) a way to back up the hard drive data on a pc. WHERE is this mystery software????
2) a way to change drums ONLY during style playback ( no arranger ) and have ONLY the drums change.
3) an easier way to make fast changes to each of the right hand sounds "on the fly"
This was always something that bugged me.
I am becomming less curious to try each new thing, but if anything else is on the horizen, I'll be open for a suggestion. I will definatly look at the PA80 if it ever comes out - I still like to have a little, lightweight "nursing home" piece.
As I stated in my post above - the SD1 is really gonna have to be something special to get my attention. I'm very high on the Yamaha right now, and i heven't even played with the organs yet! And THAT'S a biggie for me !

#144737 - 04/08/01 06:29 AM Re: 9000Pro
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello To Uncle Dave,
The Sd1 navigation is simular to the PSR9000pro . Select the sound catagory , look in the screen and choose the sound you wish by using the function buttons on the the side of the LCD display. Very much like Yamaha and Technics.
The mystery software for backing up the harddrive will not be over looked by Ketron on the SD1 .
I will still take the convenience of one keyboard with a hard drive vs. having laptop computer ( how much money invested), PSr 9000pro ( $2800.00 or more), mini disk player on stage.
Dan O

#144738 - 04/08/01 07:12 AM Re: 9000Pro
Uncle Dave Offline

Dan,
I agree that bringing the laptop is an extravagance, but having a view of 80 to 100 song titles in front of me really helps to decide the next song. I intend to put the hard drive in the 9000 as soon as George sends it to me ! ( I think it's on the way... )As to the SD1 software - I'll believe it when I see it. I would never invest the time to load up a large hard drive with NO WAY to back it up. .... "Not gonna do it..... wouldn't be prudent! "

#144739 - 04/08/01 09:08 AM Re: 9000Pro
Eric, B Offline

Hi Dave,
Glad you liked the Pro at your first spin. after having had it for a while now, I don't think I would go back to regular 61 KB keys. The 76 semi weighted keys just feel better. I also like to have a few extra keys when playing solos.
Keep us updated.
Eric

#144740 - 04/08/01 09:35 AM Re: 9000Pro
Uncle Dave Offline

Eric,
To be honest - I wish the pro WAS only 61 keys. I like having low "C" as the bottom of the keyboard, and I'd rather have a shorter piece to carry. Oh well - the price to pay for that great feel and expressive action, I guess. I have a party today, and I am going to use the built in mic pre amp. It still doesn't act like I want, but hey! Maybe I'll find a workaround.
After playing it last night at work, and then a little at home - I really am spoiled by the key action. So far - NONE of the arrangers feel this good. The closest was the X1, so maybe the SD1 will have a good, solid feel too. I sure hope I can get the harmonizer to do what I need - I want to keep this keyboard..... if I can. Any ideas, users????????? Help me sustain the harmonies with the RIGHT hand. ( even when the keys are lifted)

#144741 - 04/08/01 09:49 AM Re: 9000Pro
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Uncle Dave,
I laughed at your G. Bush statement.
To tell yo the truth. After 2 years of having my X1 the Hard drive is only storing 1000 midi files . I am nowhere near filling 2 gigs. I have everything backed up on separate disk as well as having the info stored on my computer . That is my back up.
I invite you to stop in GC once the SD1 is available.
Can you be a little more specific about the drum issue you were talking about ? Dan
email me direct oneils4@home.com

#144742 - 04/08/01 01:01 PM Re: 9000Pro
Eric, B Offline

Hi Dave,
I'm at work right now (hospitals don't close on the weekend...sigh..), so I can't fiddle with the harmonizer to answer your question, but I posted a message on the german PSR-9000 forum, wich has a lot of dedicated yamaha people. Hopefully we get a positive answer. I'll let you know.
Eric

#144743 - 04/08/01 01:38 PM Re: 9000Pro
Jupiter5 Offline

Uncle dave, I am so glad you are happy with the Yamaha Pro 9000, and I'm sure you made the right desicion.

The fact that you are sooooooooooo! happy with this keyboard means something doesn't it!. Whether John smies thinks the SD1 is the first - and last word in keyboard technology is his concern, but no one in my opinion should be "intrigued" as to why
you opted for the Pro 9000 from George's shop, while he also has the SD-1 in store and
available at short notice.. it is YOUR CHOICE George!!.

Anyway, over the weekend, I played a Yamaha pro 9000 and a KN6500 "side by side" in my local shop - that I finally got round to getting to. It was a tough desician, but the fact that I have had Technics keyboards for so long, and also the fact that it is £500 ($700.00) cheaper, and the fact that there was so little to choose between the sounds, I elected to go for the KN6500 - and it will be delivered to my door on Tuesday morning

The "pluses" on the Kn6000 where: better styles, easier to use, very good piano (9000 was good too however), better Vocals, New Soloist sounds on the KN6500 (not the 6000) where astounding (better than Yamaha in my opinion - and they aren't bad), better sequencer (40,000 notes) - with bigger screen for easier editing/viewing. And genarally, an "overall" better sound system........but it was so close..!!
-----------------------

Pluses for the Yamaha where: 76 keys - with a very nice feel to them, an onboard sampler, a harmoniser, more outputs, and many "extra's" (talk button, cheaper HD, Zip drive option etc)

There are many other differnces of course, but the fact that I sequence from home - and don't play out means that 76 keys won't be of interest to me (I have a piano anyway for that), also, there are loads of extra's that i wouldn't use, like the sampler (got a Yamaha A4000), Harmonisr (not into these!), extra outputs (yet again, playing for home use, these won't be of benefit to me)

Summery Dave.

if I was in a Dark room - and I had both keyboards played extensively to me, I would be happy with either, so the fact that I chose the KN6500 over the Yamaha 9000 pro - doesn't mean I like the KN6500 much better, it is just because I am so used to Technics superb - and easy to use features, and the excellent style - and 1000 styleist it has to offer, and that means when I get it Tuesday, I will be following on from were I left off with the KN6000 - but with much improved sounds - and a redisigned speaker system.

Good luck Uncle Dave for your future venues, and may your playing of the excellent Yamaha 9000 pro give you many years of pleasure!!. You probably woul like the KN6500 as well as the Yamaha 9000 - but I would like the Yamaha 9000 as well - but my piggy bank is begging me to input some "pennies from heaven"

Tony

[This message has been edited by Jupiter5 (edited 04-08-2001).]

#144744 - 04/08/01 04:24 PM Re: 9000Pro
Uncle Dave Offline

Hi Tony,
I had a Kn6500 here for a few days last week, and while I did like many things, there were a few "impossible" workarounds for me.
1) The simple finger mode did not allow me to trigger a minor chord with just the root and the third. I always played bass with my left hand, and while I'm not a "monster" player, I'm pretty good at the rhythm thing - I have no desire to learn the three finger left hand technique required to play the "fingered" mode, and i WILL NOT learn a new system that involves a contradiction to the theory of chord structures ! Who ever thought up the method to use "any old black key" to the left of the root for a minor??? That's just wrong....and weird.
2) The feel of the keys is just like all the other arrangers.....EXCEPT the 9000 pro. That's a new "pet peeve" for me. I MUST have a good, solid feel. The Kn5000/6000/6500 all feel the same to me. Sort of mushy and light, just like the PSR9000 and the EM2000. I was so happy to finally play a board that I can "dig into" that I am taking a major plunge on a "NO SPEAKER" unit. It goes against everything I love, but I'm trying to widen my scope of understanding in this matter.
3)If you strip away the arranger from all of the top keyboards.... which one would you like to play? My choice is the 9000pro - by a landslide. The kn stuff and the psr stuff would never sell as a pro keyboard/synth without the gingerbread, so that's my new criteria for "fun factor" They all perform well as arrangers - I want a board that I like to PLAY, and I MAY have found it.
"We shall see, shan't we?"
(any one that identifies THAT movie quote will be my hero !)
I played today in a smaller venue with a house PA - so it was OK. I used my Core Systems (144watt hot spot)and I was fine. Not thrilled, but fine.
Thanx for all the time and responses - this is a major change in direction for me, but I'm giving it a shot. The worst thing that will happen is - I'll keep the 9000p at home for studio use only. Not a bad compromise!

#144745 - 04/08/01 07:57 PM Re: 9000Pro
Clif Anderson Offline

Quote:
Who ever thought up the method to use "any old black key" to the left of the root for a minor??? That's just wrong....and weird.

Oddly enough it "may" have been Yamaha. At least my PSR8000 uses this "single-finger mode". I guess if you do not know what a minor third is, it might be useful when using a fake book. I personally cannot use this mode. Is this what the Technics does? Do the PSR9000 and 9000Pro foresake this?

The only other arranger (or quasi-arranger) I have is the Karma. It is unusual, I think, in that it "recognizes" a chord no matter what you play with one finger or twenty. Obviously, there is no "chord cancel" function as there is on the Yamahas.

#144746 - 04/08/01 08:34 PM Re: 9000Pro
Jupiter5 Offline

Hi Dave.

Yes, this one finger chord stuff - Isn't that supposed to be on arranger keyboards to get beginners started?. I've never used this feature (real chord seem easier to play to me!)

As for the Yamaha being better without arranger features - like a keyboard you can "play", well, I have a 88 key Piano at home (and will midi it up to the Kn6500 when it comes) - so this is irrelevent to me - as i don't play out anyway. I will be using my K6500 for home entertainment, sequencing, and composing. you most certainly don't need 76 keys for that. I just jump accross on to the other stool in the living room if I want to play on my piano. Also, the way the keys feel on the Yamaha 9000 are irrelevent too, but it would be nice to have when using the excellent Pianist mode that the KN6500 has to offer. So with the 88 note piano at my disposal, and the 61 key KN6500 - I have what I need I think - until, maybe, a KN7000 is launched in Germany next year.

Not a clue what movie you are talking about Dave, but The "Daleks", and (a coincidence?)Uncle Tom's Cabin have similar quotes...

I may get the Yamaha YST50 speakers for the KN6500 - that will make it sound better. These where the ones used during the Demonstration I was given, and when I played as well

Tony

[This message has been edited by Jupiter5 (edited 04-08-2001).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online