SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#144673 - 06/08/02 09:43 PM guitarists working as side men with arrangers
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Whoooooo boy ! I just got back from a date as a side man (playing guitar only). The leader has a PSR9000, used NO sequences and played entirely Toooo loud. We had sax/flute man too. That was nice. Nothin like the soul of a live sax.

I feel sorry for all you guitarists that have to try to "fit in" alongside an arranger. It's tougher than playing with sequences because there is NO room ! The low notes on the guitar clash with the bass and arr parts, and the rhythms are almost always duplicated, in one way or another. It was really hard to find a place to slide into the mix. I wound up playing a lot of "chinky chink" wah wah stuff to add some flavor, but on the ballads, and swing tunes ..... I was really searching for a place to play.

My heart goes out to all you sidemen & women that have to accompany arranger players - it ain't easy ! The sax guy had a much easier time - he only plays ONE note at a time ! Two chord guys are like having two chefs in the same kitchen. Watch out !

Another point:
This guy used the patterns to play specific sections of sequenced songs. For example - he would have the intro as V1, the verse as V2, the bridge as V3 and the chorus as V4. This allowed him to arrange on the fly, but still got the sound and feel of the real song. Nice touch. He hardly moved his hands, because all he needed to do was trigger the right chord, and the correct rhythm and accompaniment would play. He played little "hooks" with the right hand, but mostly just held chords and sang over them.

I don't think I'd like that. Seems like it takes just as much concentration as following a real sequence. At least when I use a sequence, then I can actually PLAY the piano part, instead of triggering fills and chords. Too much wasted energy for my taste.

My first choice is to play the bass line myself, second is to use a sequence, and last is to use the arranger patterns. At least we have these choices available to us, huh? Bat Mitzvah today - Thirty 13 yr old girls. Yikes.

#144674 - 06/08/02 11:22 PM Re: guitarists working as side men with arrangers
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
That guy you played with does pretty much the same as I do. However, when I have a live guitar player, I mute the auto guitar parts in the styles.
DonM

#144675 - 06/09/02 01:22 AM Re: guitarists working as side men with arrangers
Uncle Dave Offline

You converted midi files to styles for all your dance tunes? I doubt that this guy played any stock styles at all.Very few...if any.

#144676 - 06/09/02 08:38 AM Re: guitarists working as side men with arrangers
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
No, I misunderstood. I use a lot of stock styles and a few custom styles. Several from other keyboards.
DonM

#144677 - 06/09/02 07:12 PM Re: guitarists working as side men with arrangers
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
U.D.
I use sequenced material and accompany myself on either keys or guitar.
I use a small Peavy "impulse" monitor right up beside the mic stand.
Works for me.

#144678 - 06/10/02 05:37 AM Re: guitarists working as side men with arrangers
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
U.D.,
I must be getting dumber in my old age. I don't understand your comment at all.

Another point:
This guy used the patterns to play specific sections of sequenced songs. For example - he
would have the intro as V1, the verse as V2, the bridge as V3 and the chorus as V4. This
allowed him to arrange on the fly, but still got the sound and feel of the real song.

Do you mean that somehow he used the styles (patterns) in the playback of a midi file (sequence)? How do you do that?

I had a job with my trio on Sunday. It was me a guitar/trombone player, and trumpet. The guitar player just seemed to cruise along. It didn't matter what the song or the key was. We did mostly swing, ballad and a little country. It was outdoors and my nopper got a little sunburned but we had fun.

Tom

#144679 - 06/10/02 12:25 PM Re: guitarists working as side men with arrangers
Uncle Dave Offline

There is software that converts midi files to patterns .... in sections.
For example, NY NY.
Var1 - this would be the exact notation of the intro ... about 4 bars or more.(including chord changes)
Var2 - this would be the main body of the tune and might be longer than 4 bars ... depending on the arrangement.
Var3 - might be the solo section
Var4 - the slowed down section at the end.

This method allows the player to extend sections at will(or Grace....whoever)until you are ready to go on to the next section.
IT sounds more like the original recording this way, but it's a weird way of playing, in my opinion. It's like building a puzzle - only certain pieces fit in certian places. You can never use a pattern for another song either because it is too specific. I'd rather just have a sequence for stuff that needs too many hands.

The trouble with playing guitar was - I am NOT a lead player. I just plunk out the changes and sing. His arrangements were so full that my chords clashed too often. Too many notes ... as it were. The low notes especially. I take a sax player out as often as I can, and we have a ball! He never gets in my way unless he playes the melody while I'm singing it. ( I HAAAAATE that)It sucks the spontinaety right out of my head. Like wearing a ball and chain.

I am SO suited to being a solo player because of my short attention span. I change so often that it's murder for people to try to follow along. On the other hand ... I can FOLLOW very well. I'm really a great sideman to have on a gig - I fill in horn parts, and string lines and sing 5 part harmony backgrounds. It's a gas.

#144680 - 06/10/02 01:22 PM Re: guitarists working as side men with arrangers
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
I can imagine how "that" sounded.
You won't hear yourselve as a guitarist with a keyboard filling the complete soundspectrum...
In fact in my opinion this was the initial intention Why the arrangers were made for!

We all know you use the arrangers differently and maybe some more members here, but If I play an arranger I do the same.
Lay out full chords and vary the chords with left hand (mostly three to five keys to get the minors/seventh,six etc...)
This way you have a full band with you..
The downside is that you need to strip all styles if you are going to play with other musicians. (with the exeption of soloists)

As I recently started gigging again I solved it dramaticly
I joined a jazz trio which is now a quartet
Only real instruments.

By the way Dave I bought the Epiphone Sorrento which was optimized by the shop, and now is a beauty in sound and playability.

The Sheraton II does not even come close!
(my opinion at least.. )
I play it thru a Fender Concert tube amp.

#144681 - 06/10/02 05:45 PM Re: guitarists working as side men with arrangers
Uncle Dave Offline

"The Sheraton II does not even come close!"

I never played the model you mentioned. Glad you found a box you like !

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online