SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#144419 - 04/13/06 05:08 AM Re: Damned full moon...
quietDIN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Bottom line--the van is totaled, the equipment survived, with minimal damage, his car looked like it went through a shredder, I obviously didn't make it to the job, and the a**hole had the guts to say "Man, I don't know what happened!"

Fortunately, no other vehicles were involved, and a witness who was a couple hundred yards behind stopped and gave the state police a statement that clearly portrayed who was at fault.

The worst part about the deal wasn't loosing the music job and dissapointing 150 people at a spring dance. The worst part is that because my van is a 1989 the guy who hit me insurance company will only pay book value for the van, which is probably about $2,000. This, despite the fact the van was in excellent condition until some indiot on his cell phone slammed into it. Now I'll have to replace the van, which will cost me a bundle. Damned I hate full moons!

Gary, sorry to read about what happened, but glad that bodily injury wasn't part of it! (Do make sure of that; sometimes in the aftermath of trauma, you can be unaware for a while of certain kinds of injury. If you are injured, I'd suggest seeing a lawyer at this point and ignoring the rest of my comments; and no, I'm not a member of the legal profession.)

Be certain to get a copy of the police report and verify that it acurately reflects what you and the witness reported.

As to compensation for your losses, don't be too quick to accept the insurance company's offer. They have an obligation for you to be "made whole"; that phrase is very important. It means that the insurance company has to, within reason, restore things to what they were before the accident.

If you can document the exceptional condition of your van, it will help in negotiating with the insurers. Pictures, maintenance records, testimonials from others (service people, etc.) all help. Was the van outfitted (modified) in any way for your needs? If so, document that. Anything that will show your van was not a typical 1989 vehicle will help your position.

You also should ask for compensation for the lost gig, and any damage to your equipment. That's part of making you whole.

You may have to "hang tough"; insurers rarely like to part with cash, especially initially.

Here are a couple of Websites that may help with some insight. Use Google for others. http://info.insure.com/auto/collision/totalling.html http://www.pritzkerlaw.com/fair-car-value/

Again, I'm not a lawyer, etc., so please take what I've said with that in mind. Best of luck in resolving the situation.

--Barry

[This message has been edited by quietDIN (edited 04-13-2006).]

#144420 - 04/13/06 05:49 AM Re: Damned full moon...
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Gary,
What a drag! This just happened to me three months ago. The kids insurance offered me $1100 and keep the van or $1300 and they haul the van off.

It was a 1987 Astro. Really only 106,000 miles. It stayed parked in the driveway for years. We used it ocasionally for delivering and picking up window coverings that my wife cleans.

My son has used it for the past 2 or 3 years. It stays in his driveway also because he is gone for weeks at a time driving an 18 wheeler. I bought it years ago with 69,000 miles.

Their letter said they priced one in Texas for that price and one in Kentucky. Both were in excess of 250,000.

It makes one wonder how long before someone goes postal on these insurance companies doing whatever they want to do. I'm sure many times they won't even pay the claims period on people they think they can get a way with it.

#144421 - 04/13/06 06:14 AM Re: Damned full moon...
Dnj Offline

Gary......

you have a backup van in your driveway

#144422 - 04/13/06 06:16 AM Re: Damned full moon...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have a 96 Aerostar for sale. Only 220,000 miles on it. You can pick it up at the jam.
Glad you weren't injured my friend.
DonM

#144423 - 04/13/06 06:21 AM Re: Damned full moon...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Why do bad things happen to good people..

Sorry to hear about your calamities. Why don't you turn a negative into a positive and buy yourself a nice new Corvette!!

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#144424 - 04/13/06 06:52 AM Re: Damned full moon...
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Bummer! Sorry to hear that, but thank goodness it wasn't worse, but never-the-less, makes for a bad day. Better days are ahead... take care, Gary.

Glenn

#144425 - 04/13/06 12:38 PM Re: Damned full moon...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks to everyone for you good wishes and concerns, and yes, I do have a backup van that I'm not driving. It's really old, gets lousy gas milage, but it will haul all of my gear to the jobs next week.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#144426 - 04/13/06 01:11 PM Re: Damned full moon...
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Glad to hear that you escaped unscathed, Gary.

Yep, you see these cell jockeys all the time here in 'do-what-you-like' Alberta. Something has to be done about it.

#144427 - 04/13/06 01:19 PM Re: Damned full moon...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Really glad you're ok, bud!

russ

#144428 - 04/13/06 03:04 PM Re: Damned full moon...
Chuck Delp Offline

Loc: Southbury CT USA
There MUST be a country song in that saga somewhere

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online