SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#144073 - 10/24/07 09:57 AM Considering NH's, RH's, - need advice
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Okay, I'm finally ready to give the OMB concept a try. I would like to start at some active living retirement scenarios and maybe move into assisted living.
May I ask YOU what would is normally expected as far as types of music and other "entertainment" features. Is it more a dance or a concert? Do you charge by the hour or the venue? What else do I need to know? What should I avoid?

------------------
www.cassponline.com/

#144074 - 10/24/07 10:03 AM Re: Considering NH's, RH's, - need advice
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
you're off to a great start with your
site. nice.
dave

#144075 - 10/24/07 10:14 AM Re: Considering NH's, RH's, - need advice
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Cassp,
It makes a big difference on the condition of the residents. If it's a retirement community there will be more dancers. If it's a true Nursing Home, it will be mostly a concert.
Most of the residents in Nursing Homes, and Retirement Centers as well, remember the songs from the 50's and 60's.
A lot of people play songs as far back as the 20's and 30's, but a person who was in his teens or 20's that long ago would be around 100 now. There aren't many of those.
I find it important to keep the tempo upbeat most of the time. You can do a few ballads, but try to make them love songs as opposed to songs about losing your love. Many of your audience will be widows or widowers and they could bring back sad memories.
Recent threads on both smallgig and PSR Tutorial addressed this issue and several people posted lists.
Also, I think we've discussed it here before, so you might try a search.
My rules are: Play songs they remember, enjoy, maybe can sing along to, and that will get them tapping thier toes.
Most Nursing Homes have PLENTY of church and choir music provided, and that's great. But I try to make mine Rock N' Roll and CW classics. It works great around here.
I usually close with an upbeat gospel song something like "I'll Fly Away" at the NHs. I promise they will sing along.
I wouldn't price it by the hour. Have a price for a normal one-hour show, and another for special parties or dances that last longer.
Around here it's hard to get more than $100 for an hour show.
Be very aware of the volume. Too loud is a BIG no-no and will cause you to not be re-hired.
These will be the most rewarding jobs you'll ever do!!!
Hope this helps!
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 10-24-2007).]

#144076 - 10/24/07 10:28 AM Re: Considering NH's, RH's, - need advice
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Here is a link to a friend's website that will help you out in detail..
http://www.garymurway.homestead.com/PerformersOnly.html

Go to performers only and type the password oscar in lowercase..

#144077 - 10/24/07 10:31 AM Re: Considering NH's, RH's, - need advice
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Cass, I have regularly used those song listed below or a combination of with them success
There's plenty more gig disks at the PSR site that can give you some good ideas. YOu can download the gig disks use with your PSR 3000 and be on your way. Check this link out:
http://psrtutorial.com/Files/GD/GD_intro.html

Accent the Positive
Ain't Misbehavin
All of Me
Alley Cat
America the Beautiful
Arrivederci Roma
Bad Bad Leroy Brown
Beer Barrell Polka
Bill Bailey
Blueberry Hill
By The Light Of The Silvery Moon
Bye Bye Black Bird
Can't Help Falling In Love
Charleston
Cheek To Cheek
Cherry Pink & Apple Blossom White
Don't Fence Me In
I Don't Want to Walk Without You
In The Mood
King Of The Road
Little Brown Jug
Mack The Knife
Moonlight Serenade
Mr Sandman
Music Music Music
Never On A Sunday
New York New York
Our Love Is Here To Stay
Puttin' On the Ritz
Shine on Harvest Moon
Spanish Eyes
Sway
Sweet Georgia
Tarantella
Those Were the Days
Tuxedo Junction
Unforgetable
Volare

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 10-24-2007).]

#144078 - 10/24/07 11:38 AM Re: Considering NH's, RH's, - need advice
cassp Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Here is a link to a friend's website that will help you out in detail..
http://www.garymurway.homestead.com/PerformersOnly.html

Thanks, Fran. this is a great site!

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 10-24-2007).]

#144079 - 10/24/07 11:51 AM Re: Considering NH's, RH's, - need advice
cassp Offline

Do you bring and read music or memorize. How does this work visually for you?

#144080 - 10/24/07 01:35 PM Re: Considering NH's, RH's, - need advice
Dnj Offline

memorize everything always look at the audience sing & smile . Make sure you flow from one song to another with a brief chatter about what your doing.....there is so much more to be learned.....dont be fooled by their age!!!!
I cant emphasize that enough.

#144081 - 10/24/07 01:47 PM Re: Considering NH's, RH's, - need advice
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Keep in mind that these folks are somewhat physically impaired--but most are still mentally in great shape. And, as Don said, 50s, 60s and 70s stuff is what they grew up to (just like me). Keep it upbeat, keep the music flowing, keep dead time between songs to a minimum (I can't stress this enough) and you'll keep them happy.

Another thing to remember is that most nursing homes, retirement communities, etc.. have residents councils. They usually meet once a month, and they decide who stays and who goes when it comes to entertainers. I know a couple guys who thought they could play the stuff they liked--not what the residents would enjoy. They don't get invited back.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#144082 - 10/24/07 02:04 PM Re: Considering NH's, RH's, - need advice
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Cass,

I started the senior home circut by first visiting a few places and checking out the entertainment. In most cases I learned what
entertainers charged by introducing myself, telling them why I was there, and asking questions. In every case, the responce was congenial.

I then learned the name of the activity director, the address, and phone number... then called to speak with the AD (keep calling till you make direct contact), introduced myself, and in a few days sent a brief letter similar to the following:

"Dear Kelly,

This is to follow-up on our recent conversation and further introduce myself and my music. I’ve been entertaining for over 35 years and recently started performing at senior facilities. I sing and play an arranger keyboard that sounds like anything from a grand piano to a full band. Knowing thousands of songs allows me to perform all styles of music from the 40s, 50s and 60s (plus 70s through today), bringing seniors the enjoyment that only their music provides.

Enclosed is a listing of recent area appearences. Feel free to call any of them for a reference or to call me for additional information and for available dates."

Of course, the second paragraph can be included only after you've played a few performances.

Set your fees at the average going rate, or perhaps *slightly* less than average to start out, but then immediately adjust the fee as soon as you can include that second paragraph. Since starting over 4 years ago, I've increased my fees twice with no problem. Tell them about the cost of gas and they immediately understand.

For your first performance, your playlist should be dynamite - the best of the best - mostly upbeat songs from the 40s through early 60s, a few country (old country), at least one polka, with the closing song something that'll stick in their mind and keep them humming the rest of the day. Have fun and good luck.

Glenn

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online