SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#144093 - 10/27/07 09:59 AM Re: Considering NH's, RH's, - need advice
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Many good posts here, to be sure...

As someone who does upwards of 300+ NH shows a year, I'd like to add the importance of networking within this client base.

Many homes are part of a chain and have several locations in a given region. Once you establish yourself in one of these place, after a 2nd or so visit, ask the AD about any referrals she/he might make to other sister facilities. Often, NH's are friendly with other, non-related NH's in the area. This too can lead to referrals. Positive word of mouth is as good as it gets and can quickly generate additional accounts and revenue.

However, it can also work against you, make no mistake about it. A bad day, attitude, or performance can do more damage that you can imagine.

Not to insult anyone who sings over midi files or whatever, but in my area...the Dayton/Cincy/Columbus area, those type performers are seemingly on the way out. AD's budgets are tighter and more scrutinized than ever and I know of at least 3 places that have dropped all those type performers. Their thinking is this group is generally way over priced. If they pay $100/hr. for a guy who comes in with a full PA, and plays AND sings, why would they pay that much to someone who brings a kareoke player or some very small speaker set up and DOESN'T actually play an instrument, the same wage.

Size doesn't matter nearly as much as talent and the right attitude does, but it does to a degree.

Even more than all (well, most, )things musical, is how we interact with the residents. Yesterday a long term AD at a very upscale assisted living told me the music/attire/song selections/equipment is at the MOST a 1/3 of what she evaluates us on. She said by far its how you treat my residents. If you can't/won't/don't interact with them on a genuine/sincere/friendly level...then she doesn't want you.

I took a cal from a guy a few weeks ago who said he wanted to do what I do for a living. First thing I asked him was are you very comfortable with older people and being around wheelchairs, feeding tubes and bags, walkers, etc? He said he really wasn't sure. I suggested he volunteer an afternoon to go visit a local NH and maybe visit a few residents. He did that and called me back saying it really wasn't what he was looking for after all. LOL, he said how in the world do you go into a place like that and make music?

Point being, you'd better know up front if this is a good fit for you...

#144094 - 10/27/07 10:53 AM Re: Considering NH's, RH's, - need advice
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA

[This message has been edited by Mark79100 (edited 10-28-2007).]

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online