SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#144002 - 09/02/06 09:32 AM Digital Accordions (how cool these are)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Geez oh man!!!! Accordions have come a VERY LONG way.. These ain't your grandmas accordions Check out these videos.

My hat goes off to anyone who can play one of these things. I'm amazed at what they've done with them in the "digital world".
http://rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=760&ParentId=32
http://rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=673&ParentId=32

Just click on "Video"

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#144003 - 09/02/06 10:47 AM Re: Digital Accordions (how cool these are)
MrEd Offline

Squeak,
I am an accordion enthusiast for sure and anything new in that arena is excitement for me, but the digital accordion has been around for a few decades, and 'electronic' accordions go farther back than midi.

There are many many companies whose circuitry has been added into the accordions to produce the same capabilities that are found in the newest Roland models.

I think that the biggest difference, or enhancement, that seems to be getting the attention with the Roland accordion, is its ability to control expression thru the bellows more than the other brands.

I have not seen or tried the Roland models.
Keyboard mag tested and gave the Roland accordion very good marks, but thru word of mouth from pro accordionists that I've talked with, they don't plan on changing over to Roland from what they already have.

I personally am very happy though, that a major name, high-quality company like Roland continues to bring modern technology to an instrument that unfairly gets boxed into a corner, associated with a few old ethnic styles. As an arranger/controller, its got massive capabilities, but very few artists are out there demonstrating it.

#144004 - 09/02/06 03:25 PM Re: Digital Accordions (how cool these are)
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
It's nice to see someone with some real accordian chops to get ideas of how to use the different sounds correctly on a keyboard like a T2.

#144005 - 09/02/06 05:37 PM Re: Digital Accordions (how cool these are)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think a digital accordion's strength would be if they made them as light as possible, but no outboard (so you can use wireless). Well built, but light (maybe about a nice 48 bass weight) but with all the bells and whistles that Roland have.

Maybe, for those who use accordions in rock/blues type situations (with a whole band), a smaller physical sized digital accordion (like a 48 bass, smaller keyboard) could be used, and maybe use D-Beam to transpose keyboard up and down an octave for greater range.

I think I would love something more that size, looks WAY cooler than pumping a big ol' 120 bass..........

#144006 - 09/02/06 07:19 PM Re: Digital Accordions (how cool these are)
MrEd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I think a digital accordion's strength would be if they made them as light as possible, but no outboard (so you can use wireless). Well built, but light (maybe about a nice 48 bass weight) but with all the bells and whistles that Roland have.

Maybe, for those who use accordions in rock/blues type situations (with a whole band), a smaller physical sized digital accordion (like a 48 bass, smaller keyboard) could be used, and maybe use D-Beam to transpose keyboard up and down an octave for greater range.

I think I would love something more that size, looks WAY cooler than pumping a big ol' 120 bass..........

I agree that 48 bass is plenty for the type of band situation you mentioned, but it does not help reduce the weight by much, maybe 1 or 2 lbs if even that much.

The weight is in the reed blocks and in the different woods that traditional accordians are made from. Just like pianos and guitars, the wood is very important to the quality of that acoustic sound.

My old electronic Excelsior has 9 sets of reeds and 2 wood tone chambers and weighs 40 lbs.

Some of the reedless digital accordions are 16 - 20 lbs. Thats with 120 bass, 41 treble keys.

You mention wireless. Some companies (Limex for 1) do have wireless setups for midi/digital accordions.
You can shake rattle and roll all over the stage, dodge tomatoes, exit stage left, no problem.

And the color schemes that some of these companies have available are outrageous and do you want all the keys black, grey, blue gold, etc? Or any combination thereof.

The main page of this accordion company shows various color combinations, but not as wild as some other companies. Marco accordions

Even though this instrument is capable of playing and sounding like any arranger keyboard, the interest in the states has pretty much disappeared. The younger generations (and the older of course) in other countries are using the accordion in all styles of music.

#144007 - 09/03/06 08:45 AM Re: Digital Accordions (how cool these are)
Diki Offline

I thought digital accordions didn't need a reed block?

If they worked at it, why shouldn't a 48 bass digital accordion be 1/3 of the weight of a real one? It would make dodging those tomatoes easier......!

#144008 - 09/03/06 09:28 AM Re: Digital Accordions (how cool these are)
MrEd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I thought digital accordions didn't need a reed block?

If they worked at it, why shouldn't a 48 bass digital accordion be 1/3 of the weight of a real one? It would make dodging those tomatoes easier......!

Thats true, digital accordions don't need reeds to make music,
but most models of midi and digital accordions still have the traditional acoustic-providing reeds, with the digital circuitry added.
This allows for the box to be played thru reeds alone, or thru the digital voices alone, or both can be played/layered.
The long-time traditional players usually want those reeds and frown upon the newer technolgy.

Its the reedless models that are much lighter in weight and most major accordion makers produce a reedless model where all sound comes from their internal sound engines, just like our keyboards.
The quality level of the digitally-made accordion voices has increased so the need for the reed blocks and the maintenance for keeping them in tune, are decreasing.

Did I make it more confusing?
Probably

#144009 - 09/03/06 04:10 PM Re: Digital Accordions (how cool these are)
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
.... they've come a long way from my Sano !!! ...
t.

#144010 - 09/03/06 04:21 PM Re: Digital Accordions (how cool these are)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Posted by; MrEd

---------------------------------------------
The quality level of the digitally-made accordion voices has increased so the need for the reed blocks and the maintenance for keeping them in tune, are decreasing.
---------------------------------------------

Sounds like the same thing is happening with the accordion as is what happened to the acoustic piano with the hard push of the digital era.

I know several people that own stores that sell acoustic and digital pianos. All of them are selling way more digitals than acoustic. There are the di-hards who won't accept the digital grands and uprights. Just as it's happening with the digital accordion. Eventually they're going to get really darn close with the digital versions--then I'm sure things such as lighter weight, less upkeep, and so forth will be a driving force in their sales.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#144011 - 09/03/06 04:31 PM Re: Digital Accordions (how cool these are)
Diki Offline

From what I've heard of it (no-one carries one in my area), Roland have come VERY close to the real thing (not perfect, but with many additional capabilities to compensate). Now all I need is a smaller, lighter (and cheaper!) version.

I definitely LOVE the capability to sound like a bandoneon one minute, and a full Italian accordion the next. Now I just need a good Cajun accordion emulation, and it's Mardi Gras for me....!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online