SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#143924 - 05/17/05 07:00 AM Need Help With Computer Recording Set Up????
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Hey eveyone It's been a while since I last posted. I do see quite a few new names too.. so hello to all the newbies as well.

Well I now have some more time on my hands. I am moving all my recording to a computer set up. I need some suggestions though. I want to use my Casio WK-3500 as a controller, and not use the GM set from this keyboard. I'd like an inexpensive sequencing program (that's also easy to use). I also want a decent (inexpensive) sound set to use with this program that syncs well with the recording software. I won't be doing any audio recording, so I'll want programs and sounds that will not require an extremely fast computer. Any suggestions?

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#143925 - 05/17/05 07:18 AM Re: Need Help With Computer Recording Set Up????
John_CA Offline

Loc: Kern county, CA, USA
Hi Squeak,

It's pretty amazing that for all the things Powertracks can do, they still only ask $49, and you can download it and start working, and they send you the cd and manual by mail.

It certainly holds up to the bigger names in software, but it's easier to work with. Don't let the screenshots scare you, you see almost all windows open, which in reality never happens.
http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

And if you buy Powertracks Pro, for only $20 more, you can get the Roland's VSC-3 Virtual Sound Canvas with 128 polyphony, 546 sounds + 15 drum sets and the ability to render a *.WAV file right from a MIDI file.
http://www.pgmusic.com/rolandvs.htm

Plus you get an Unconditional 30-Day Money Back Guarantee in case you don't like it.

In the midi setup, you can set the WK3500 to be used as a midi master kb, without using it's own sounds.

John

------------------
Have a nice day smile

#143926 - 05/17/05 07:29 AM Re: Need Help With Computer Recording Set Up????
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I also recommend PowerTracks... it provides everything you're looking for and then some. Their customer support is second to none.

Glenn

#143927 - 05/17/05 08:21 AM Re: Need Help With Computer Recording Set Up????
Tomcat Offline

Loc: Ft Collins Colorado, USA
Well, for ME, there is one major problem with PowerTracks that keeps me from using it; it doesn't have piano roll editing, sometimes called graphic editing, and I really want that in my sequencer. Other than that, it's a really good little program that I keep on my laptop because I like the plugins that come with it and they are useable in other programs that can use DirectX plugins.

For about $100 you can get Cakewalk's Home Studio 2 which is an updated version of Sonar 2.2 and it's a very capable program. In addition, if you get used to it and want to continue you can always upgrade to the then current version of Sonar with minimal relearning curve.

Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better

[This message has been edited by Tomcat (edited 05-17-2005).]

#143928 - 05/17/05 08:25 AM Re: Need Help With Computer Recording Set Up????
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Thanks for the info. The PG set up looks very promising (as does the Roland VSC-3 add on).

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#143929 - 05/17/05 09:02 AM Re: Need Help With Computer Recording Set Up????
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I too suggest Power Tracks Pro. Another choice would be an older version of Cakewalk Pro Audio 8 or 9. Beyond that you may as well go with Sonar.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online