SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#143790 - 06/23/01 04:05 PM Me & Mason's PSR on the road !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
OK gang - it's time for another chapter in:
"Uncle Dave's Follies"
I'm taking the 9000 out tomorrow for the first time. I like having a duplicate Operating system at home for recording, and a quick backup if needed. A few observations:
1) In the right case, it's not AWFUL to carry, just combersome. I found a ProTec case that fits real snug, and the handle is nice & high, so my long, ape-like arms don't drag the piece on the ground. For all you shoppers, it's a C-950. They say it fits
45 1/2" x 16 1/2" x 5", but the hight can be squeeeeezed in, with a little finese. It has two great big pockets on the front and a shoulder strap too.
2)4 line outs. I had forgotten that ity had these! I thought only the pro model had multiple outs(6), but, "Spank me silly, and call me Mary" it's great to be able to route the mic out, and into my other harmonizer, then BACK into the loop inputs! I can use a mixer and blend in the signals from my minidisk too. This just may work out.
(Go ahead, Steve - laff it up)
3)It fits the 90/50 rule to a tee. I read somewhere that to buy the best gear for any situation, you should:
first - determine what is the VERY BEST product (at ANY cost) for the job.
next - buy the product that delivers 90% of those features at 50% of that price! eg:
Cars:
I love the looks, style and performance of a Porsche, but don't have the $60 grand to shell out.So......I find out that a "Blah Blah" xxx model is only $30,000 and corners great, has super pickup, and looks that kill. Voila! 90% of the features at 50% of the cost! Back to music:
My "Dream Machine" would have:
Speakers
61 keys
good key feel
mic input w/ harmony
organ drawbars
ez manual bass presets
lightweight . . . ( hmmm, any ideas? )
tons of polyphony . . ( ouch! sore subject)
upgradable O/S with support for style import
loads of effects (dsp's)
cutting edge sounds
style edit
friendly button layout
sturdy construction
* * * * Woah! I'm slowly talking myself into this as a pretty good musicians tool!
The only real negatives are:
weight & polyphony. Ergo the 90% rule!
I am still puzzled by a weird chord recognition problem too, but that seems to be MY own shortcoming. I like the way Korg & Roland do the one/two finger approach.
Check this out:
C & Eb make a C minor chard (normal, right?)
F# & A make F# minor (still ok)
here's the annomoly:
Bb & Db make..........Db seventh! WTF ?????
also... Eb & Gb make Gb seventh !!! Wrong!
It's soooooo wrong. If we can use the root and third to trigger 10 different chord changes, WHY can't we do it on ANY chord????
So - that's my problems of the day.
Starting tomorrow - no more days off all summer - it's work, work, work! I have every Monday down the Jersey Shore at a great Crab place in Somers Point if any East Coasters are around !

#143791 - 06/23/01 10:33 PM Re: Me & Mason's PSR on the road !
Dnj Offline

Dave,

Good Luck with the 9K its a great unit. Its working out nicly for me on stage so far also.I love the layout for live performance. It was alot fun singing a few tunes with you last night at your gig also. I'm sure you'll have the 9k smokin' very soon as usual :>) Fran it was a pleasuree to Dine with your and your family too those Stuffed Filet Mignone's were Awesome!!

L8tr Boyz,

Donny nj

#143792 - 06/23/01 11:31 PM Re: Me & Mason's PSR on the road !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Dave,
So glad you are seeing the "error" of your ways. I miss the 9000, but I'm enjoying the Korg. Every keyboard has it's strong and weak points. We have to focus on getting the most out of what we're playing.
DonM

#143793 - 06/24/01 05:49 AM Re: Me & Mason's PSR on the road !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Oh no, my friend. I NEVER err! I simply - readjust my priorities to fit my current situation! It's like being a "Master of Rationalization" (One of my favorite names for a band).
I am still on the lookout for a lighter, smaller, better chording unit but until that day comes.......I'm a Yamma man !

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online