SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#143775 - 11/06/05 03:28 AM Routing timbres as split keyboard sections with Triton Extreme?
BunnyNode Offline

*Forgive me for reposting this. I just noticed that no one has posted in the forum I posted this in originally since early October, hence posting it here*

Right and left basic stereo isn’t representative of what a piano sounds like - not for me at least.

The Triton Extreme 88 will be my first top shelf synth. The others I've used have pretty poor facsimiles of positional stereo in relation to section, or are simply divided into two clefs - one right, one left.

I read that the 6 outputs can have individual timbres routed through them. Rather than different synths, tracks, samples, etc. Is it possible to treat different sections of the keyboard as different sound modules (in a sense at least) and route them separately? I've always wanted a true 4 or 6 track keyboard recording capability - similar to what I get when I mic pianos up. I've tried recording multiple tracks, panning, and adjusting EQ to focus specific frequencies at different positions, but it still never sounds authentic, so I just thought I'd ask.

Or are the pianos it has onboard (or can be added by expansion) good enough to produce that effect on their own? (Even then I wouldn't have as much control, though).

Lastly, neither the Korg site nor any retailers I can find online indicate whether the analog outs are balanced TRS. Are they?

[This message has been edited by BunnyNode (edited 11-06-2005).]

[This message has been edited by BunnyNode (edited 11-06-2005).]

#143776 - 11/07/05 03:50 PM Re: Routing timbres as split keyboard sections with Triton Extreme?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
I don't have a triton extreme but I did extensively test a triton before buying my Kurzweil K 2600S (is about 5 years ago)

The reason I did not buy the Triton(allthough the triton had much more ready to go sounds) were;
1. No good analogue outputs (very noisy)
2. No good piano's (they might be improved in the Triton extreme though)

Since you did not buy the triton apparantly from your post, you might have a look at the kurzweil which also has the possibility of loading samples if you buy the board with the sampling option.
balanced outputs
highly editable etc..

To answer your question; (a kind of workaround)
If you can split the triton in 4 sections (which I don't know if that is possible) just select the same piano rom in all sections and record each section on different midichannels.
In the midisequencer you can easily pan the recorded tracks.

For ready to go piano sound with a proper balance I would audition other boards before deciding on a triton IF the piano is very important to you!

This is my personal opinion only so others might have complete different opinions.

Fred

#143777 - 11/10/05 04:03 PM Re: Routing timbres as split keyboard sections with Triton Extreme?
BunnyNode Offline

Thanks for responding!

Yes, I've since decided on the Roland RD-700SX with SRX-11 expansion card. I listened carefully to everything I was willing to pay that much money for, and it felt and sounded the most like what I personally was looking/hoping for, and sounded sufficiently wide without needing to go to any special lengths. (Though I may decide to clone it and make some slight EQ changes at different pans).

The Triton's pianos, as well as Yamaha and Kurzweil's, even with expansions, were just too bright to my ear. I can see where many would love them, though. In the end, I'll likely be using the eastwest bose softsynth anyway lol.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online