SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#143760 - 11/11/03 09:54 AM Re: Keeping keyboard warm in winter
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I NEVER leave my kb in the car overnight, but there are times when I might have to keep it in the car during the day for a gig later that night... Winter or summer, temperatures can be somewhat extreme ...
I use a soft, fluffy towel around the kb to help protect it from condensation ... When I get to the gig, I unload and unpack the kb first, so that it gets aclimated to the temp of the room while I am setting up the rest of the gear, then I turn it on for a while before playing ...
These babies can be SO tempermental!!!
t.

#143761 - 11/12/03 01:06 PM Re: Keeping keyboard warm in winter
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Beaky..
I.m on the west coast of British Columbia, Canada...you know (igloos, fur trappers, etc.) I agree whole heartedly with NOT leaving your gear in a vehicle. Never mind the cold aspect, but I doubt your "average" instrument insurance would cover it from theft, if your vehicle was stolen.
Getting back to the cold thing, I have plush lined,zippered, soft shell cases for the 2 kb's that I use, but I also have 2 reflective survival blankets, that I wrap them in before putting them in the gig bags. This of course is during the winter months. In Canada that's often 13 months, depending where you live. These blankets are basically a very thin tarp, very light-weight, with a silver reflective side, and you'd be amazed how they will keep a unit warm. Not dangerously warm, but just at a nice even temperature, at least while they're being transported. You can get them from any outdoors or camping supply store
Works for me....L
Good Luck

#143762 - 11/12/03 05:33 PM Re: Keeping keyboard warm in winter
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Larry,

I live 3 hours away from you in Muskegon, Mi and I NEVER leave my keyboard in the car overnight period. It is not a good idea. Repeated changes from hot to cold can cause solder joints and other componants to fail from the expansion and contraction. I would not do it.

Tom

Tom

#143763 - 11/12/03 05:53 PM Re: Keeping keyboard warm in winter
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Winter - no problem. But, here in Florida KBs come inside during the Summer.
Eddie

#143764 - 11/12/03 06:10 PM Re: Keeping keyboard warm in winter
Beakybird Offline

When almost everyone told me not to purchase the HDM2 hard drive system for my PSR2000, from some stranger in the Ukraine, I didn't listen. I purchased it, and I am extremely happy with it.

I have been playing the keyboard professionally for 4 years, and I have always left the keyboard in the trunk of my car. I have not had a keyboard malfunction due to temperature changes yet. However, once my PSR740's adapter cable broke during the winter.

I have too much going on in my life to be lugging a keyboard back and forth every day. I often perform six days a week - about 10 gigs a week.

So after investigating the safety of the electric blanket and the inverter, I purchased an electric blanket at Target and a new inverter on Ebay. I will use the electric blanket to warm the keyboard on the way to my gigs on very cold days. It will not be left on when I'm not in the car. My cigarette lighter power output turns off when the car is off.

I will tell you how it works. If you don't hear from me in several months, it will be because I was fried or electrocuted.

Beakybird

[This message has been edited by Beakybird (edited 11-12-2003).]

#143765 - 11/13/03 12:13 AM Re: Keeping keyboard warm in winter
Beakybird Offline

Arrogantly, I forgot to thank everyone for their kindness in giving me advice which I had sought. Thank you.

You know, these keyboards are not transported in temperature controlled trucks when they are delivered.

On the other hand, it makes sense that dramatic temperature contrasts can cause harm. On the other hand, I have never experienced a malfunction due to this - except for a cable that probably got too brittle.

Beakybird

#143766 - 11/13/03 03:43 AM Re: Keeping keyboard warm in winter
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Repeated severe temperature change will accelerate ageing of plastics.

The electrical effects might be caused by condensation (warm humid interior air hitting cold surface). All you can do is wait for everything to warm up and the condensation to evaporate again.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online