SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#143544 - 02/28/01 01:19 PM Yamaha PSR640
pvatcha Offline

Loc: Anaheim, CA, USA
Hi. ^__^
This site is great becouse it gives me lots of info before I decided to get one arranger keyboard of my own. I like to be able to pre record the songs and play it as a karaoke at my small church group. I don't have a great budget. So I decided to buy a decent one that is below $1000... How much is the Solton X1 cost anyway?... becuase everyone seem to talk about how great its sound. But I am sure it will be over two grants. Anyway after my comparison I think yamaha psr640 was the best buy for below a $1,000 range. I got it at ZZounds.com after asking them to beat the lowest price on the gearprice.com. And they did give me for $620 including free shipping and no tax! Wow!...I think this is the best deal. Don't you think? The PSR740 is a better model but a big different in price too($1,079). My new PSR640 will arrive in the next five day. Meanwhile I just want to make sure I am making a right decision. Anyone have any comment?

#143545 - 02/28/01 06:25 PM Re: Yamaha PSR640
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
For $620,-- it is probably the best deal you can get. Only if your budget goes up to a little over $1000,-- you can find some competition from other brands.
I did the same research back in december but decided to go with a Roland G1000. Got it from George Kay, who gave me a great deal.
In my opinion the yamaha 640 and 740 do not even come close to the G1000.
But I almost bought one of the yamaha's too until I realized that I could get the G1000 within my budget.

#143546 - 02/28/01 08:34 PM Re: Yamaha PSR640
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Sorry guys,
the G1000 has disapeared from the shelves of music stores. I still have one EM2000 left though. It's just like the G1000 but with 61 keys, speakers, D-Beam and a larger display. Price is about double the 640, although the list price was $3195.00 before it was discontinued.
Wow, Keyboard magazine just gave the Roland VA-7 a great review. I still maintain that at around $1300.00 the new VA-3 is a great value. I hope you get a chance to read the Keyboard magazine review.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#143547 - 03/01/01 07:24 PM Re: Yamaha PSR640
pvatcha Offline

Loc: Anaheim, CA, USA
Hello Mr.George Kaye,
Is that true that the new Technics KN5000 cost around $1,200? I just read the new discussion and someone has mention about it's price.

by the way...how is the new VA-3 compare to PSR740?

Thank you...You are the PRO. ^_^
pv.

#143548 - 03/01/01 08:25 PM Re: Yamaha PSR640
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I don't sell Technics keyboards so I can't comment on the kn5000 price.
To comparet the VA 3 to the PSR740 will be my pleasure.
First, the sequencer on the VA3 is really good where the 740's sequencer is just ok. Because the Yamaha has to save directly to disk after each track, this is a bit awkward. It takes too much time between saying yes save and being able to play. The VA3 has a very straight ahead internal 16 track sequencer which you only save to disk when you have finished your entire song. There are so many more sounds and variations in the VA3 then the 740 and you can do some editing of sounds on the VA3. The styles are very good on both, but many musicians think the Roland styles are more usable than the 740's. also, you can call up new styles from floppy disks while playing other styles and the Yamaha cannot do this. Unfortunately on the Yamaha you can only have 3 user styles. On the Roland, you can have 16 user styles and you can have direct disk links to call up dozens of styles instantly and you can also load while playing others. Also, the songs can be chosen while playing other songs and the Yamaha must stop before searching for another song. On the plus side for Yamaha is the Vocal Harmonizer. On the plus side for VA3 is the same touch screen as the big brothers VA5 and VA7. Basically, the VA3 is just like the VA7 except for the variphrase sampler and the zip disk drive.
The sounds are all the same except for the Piano. The VA7 has a better grand piano sound, but the VA3 is still very good. The sounds in the VA3 are from the G1000, JV2080, G800, E40 oriental, and many are from the new expansion cards available from the JV and XP sound library. In fact, the new Romantic Trumpet sound is right from the new Latin Card available for the XP and JV synths and sound modules. I don't think anyone can argue about the number and quality of the sounds. Just ask Uncle Dave who bought a VA7 several months ago and look at the keyboard Magazine review this month (March issue) to see what they think of the sounds. I think the Roland touch screen interface is really easy to navigate compared to the Yamaha keyboard and it's next page and back page functions. But, after you know the Yamaha it is easy to use. It just takes some time getting used to it. Some users get confused with the sound on and off buttons vs the sound select buttons, but you have to use it to learn it.
Also, for my customers who need ethnic sounds like middle eastern and asian, the VA3 features oriental drum sets, asian drum sets, and all kinds of ouds, mizmar, nay and other ethnic sounds plus quarter tone tuning. The Yamaha also has quarter tone tuning, but doesn't have any middle eastern drum sounds and has very few ethnic sounds.
All in all I think the VA3 is one of the best values on the market for around $1295.00. Of course, as keyboard magazines review on the VA7 states, the dealers set up their own prices and maybe the dealers in your area will sell the VA3 for a lot more than I do in California. The Yamaha PSR740 on the other hand has a suggested retail price of $1395.00 and a street price of anywhere between $1000.00 and $1100.00.
I sound like I'm really favoring the VA3, but I want to make it clear that I sell more PSR740's then any keyboard in it's price range (there aren't too many in the $1100.00 price range) especially for customers who love the idea of a "Karaoke" keyboard. To be able to sing, add harmonies, play SMF files, change the sounds, the volumes, transpose, etc. has been a very popular choice for customers. Either one of these would be a great choice based on your needs.
Regards,
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online