SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#14333 - 09/12/03 01:13 PM I've made a MR Flash Sound Editor!
Anonymous
Unregistered

after many hours of drying my brain, I decoded part of the mysterious MR Sound sysex spec, and I've made a windows-based editor mainly oriented to do full amp-envelope edition (impossible on the MR itself) and some other things like layer pan, vol, tune, etc. COMPATIBLE WITH THE MR-FLASH board (in fact, when I acquired the mrflash, I was so frustrated for the limited edition on the MR and incompatibility with soundiver that I decided to make my own editor). Also supports group envelope editing, and set env-finish mode, suitable for loading of drum samples. you can even save and load envelope curves.

the main ensoniq's problem seems to be the envelopes, the attack portion is linear, which implies that slow attack settings results in a long period with low-volume sound and then the wave brutally reaches the highest part of the envelope (violent attack, the human ear listen in a logarithmic way, not linear). to avoid this, you can use the decay1,2,3 times and levels to make a simple logarithmic curve, which results on a smoother slow attack time. my editor allows you to do this with the layers of sampled sounds loaded on the MR keyboards. I don't know why ensoniq designed the attack on this linear fashion, korg, roland and others don't feature this problem, which affect choirs, slow pads, strings and sounds like them.

QUICK GUIDE TO BUILD MULTISAMPLED SOUNDS WITH THE MRFLASH BOARD.

as you probably know, the mrflash board allows you to use 1 wav or aiff sample per simple sound, this sound is created after loading the sample.

so, to make multisampled sounds (several samples spread across the keyrange), i have the following suggestions:

1) create a RAM soundbank with the librarian;
2) fine-tune your samples in a PC and assign them a valid root note;
3) load the samples at consecutive sounds in the RAM soundbank
4) to group 2 sounds, use the split button and then save them as one RAM sound. note that you must set the correct split point before saving.
5) you can take another sound and group it with the saved split you just created, and save it to a new sound. now you got a 3-sample multisampled patch.
6) repeat the above steps until you finish your patch, then save it to flash memory for permantent storage.

and that's it, however, if you want to set individual layer volume, pan, tune, etc. you can't on the MR itself, so you need to work with SYSEX messages or use a compatible mr-flash editor (soundiver and midiquest seem to be incompatible, as far as i can tell).

also, loaded drum samples doesn't have the env-finish mode assigned by default, so when you release the key, the sample is suddenly silenced.

#14334 - 06/13/10 11:42 PM Re: I've made a MR Flash Sound Editor!
average_male Offline

Loc: san fran
Do you still have your MR Flash? Can I get a copy of the editor you made?

THanks,
Moe

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online