SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#143212 - 05/14/02 01:15 PM Re: To those of you who sing out there
Mosiqaar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
Funny you mention that Matias. Actually I had this problem last week and I had to sing on the weekend, I am still somewhat with some problem in my throught (maybe strip throught). I started on the antibiotics two days before my gig, that barely got me going, but what I did is transposed my keyboard to -2 so that I dont have to push myself, and believe me I still felt like it was +2 instead! Hopefully I will be much better for this coming weekend. I personally am thinking to take my tonsels (sp?) out cause they swell and give me feaver at least 3-4 times a year, its not worth it.

#143213 - 05/14/02 02:00 PM Re: To those of you who sing out there
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mosiqaar:
[B]where do you get this product "ocean" Nobby? Do I have to have subscription?

Moaiqaar,
You get it over the counter. It's not as fast as some of the other nose spray.
But it works & it's safe!
Nobby

------------------

#143214 - 05/14/02 02:22 PM Re: To those of you who sing out there
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Mosiqaar....
Lots of good points made here.
From my own experience..(6 years in particular with an acapella quartet), so your voice did everything...here's what we found.
Prior to a paying gig.
1. No milk
2. No alcohol
3. basically, no dairy products, cheese..etc.
4. Cake...NO
We'd down about a litre (quart)each of room temperature water, with a drop or three of pure lemon extract, during the performance.
Don't drink iced or very cold beverages, things tighten up.
There's a losenge called "Fisherman's Friend", I don't know where you are so I can't comment on it's availability, but it really eliminates saliva.

As for the actual singing end of it, you gotta prepare. That means breathing exercises, and warnming up your pipes prior to a gig. If you're sincere about your singing, check out a reputable vocal coach, who I'm sure will recommend vocal and breathing exercises.
One I use a lot...pronouncing vowels is this progression which raises a semi-tone each time around.
A..B..C#..B..D..C#..B..A
next..raise it to begin with a Bb....
then begin with a B...
and so on....'til you've done the complete octave.
There are a lot of other exercises, too detailed to get into here.
Here's another quickee...
pronounce the constanant "M"...basically start humming...as you feel your palette begin to vibrate...open you mouth..and your pipes, and extend it into..MMMMMMMAAAAAAAWWWW
Use the semi-tone raise with this one too.
Works for me.
Just my thots.....Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by Leon (edited 05-14-2002).]

#143215 - 05/15/02 02:37 AM Re: To those of you who sing out there
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
"Fishermans Friends" (no smutty comments please) are a rather strong/hot throat lozenge produced just down the road from me by "Lofthouses" of "Fleetwood, Lancashire, England". I heard rumours a couple of years ago that they were exporting to the USA abnd Japan!

On the singing front, some years ago I went to night school voice training lessons. Best thing ever. It's amazing how improvements in technique also improve your ability to cope with lifes little difficulties. The warming up / stretching / relaxing exercises involved also help a lot.

Also,

"Stay away from the "Cloraceptic" type sprays that numb your throat"

ABSOLUTELY

Pain is natures way of telling you to back off!

#143216 - 05/15/02 09:22 PM Re: To those of you who sing out there
Mosiqaar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
thank you leon and MAC, I will work on the above for sure. I appreciate everyone's feedback, it really does help.
thanks.

#143217 - 05/17/02 12:38 PM Re: To those of you who sing out there
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... just before going 'onstage' I have the bartender pour me a drink .... large water with lemon, no ice .... I'll go through a couple a night ... I also always have "Hall's Menthol - Eucalyptus Cough Drops" on hand .... I'll even break them with my teeth (my son the dentist doesn't appreciate this) while they are still wrapped, so I can just use a small piece as needed ... if things are really bad, hot tea with lemon helps ...
t.

#143218 - 05/21/02 10:21 AM Re: To those of you who sing out there
Bob Gelman Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA
When I have a cold with a stuffed nose I use "Afrin". This stuff is like putting an Atomic Bomb up you nose. It blasts everything away to make a clear passage almost instantly. Great Stuff! http://www.drugstore.com/qxb8470_333181_SESpider/Afrin/Afrin.htm

Bob

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online