SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#143148 - 08/25/05 09:24 AM Simple MIDI software to test new UF8
donnacha Offline

I am completely new to music and bought a CME UF8 (MIDI controller) keyboard to teach myself how to play the piano - I figured the the aftertouch and hammer action would make it good to learn on and I got a good deal on it.

After a two month wait, it finally arrived this afternoon - and a big bastard it is, too.

Anyway, I've hooked it up via USB to my WinXP computer and successfully installed the drivers that came on the included CD.

I have Cakewalk Pro 6.01 installed and working but it doesn't seem to be receiving key presses from the UF8. Cakewalk's MIDI settings are as follows:

Input Ports: UF MIDI IN
Output Ports: SB Audigy 2 Synth A [DF00]

I previously had the output port set to UF MIDI OUT but couldn't hear Cakewalk play MIDI files, so, I changed it to one of the SB Audigy options and now I can here MIDI files play. I figure that the UF8 just needs the input port, to get the key press info into Cakewalk, right? Sorry for being such a newbie.

Incidentally, I tried loading the Cakewalk template that came on the UF's driver CD, following the instructions on the accompanying ReadMe:

1.Launch Cakewalk Program
2.File->New->"16 Channel Multitrack"(or other)
3.File->Open->"CME UF_Cakewalk.CakewalkStudioWare"

... but Cakewalk doesn't recognize the .CakewalkStudioWare extension! Should I rename it to something else?

Anyway, right now my main priority is to make sure the UF8 is working and, of course, it would be really nice to produce some sort of sound as I tinkle away on this gorgeous keyboard, so.... until I get the more complex software sorted, can anyone recommend some simple software, preferably freeware, that will recognise my key presses and turn them into good old-fashioned piano notes?

I would appreciate any and all advice, thanks.

[This message has been edited by donnacha (edited 08-25-2005).]

#143149 - 08/25/05 09:32 AM Re: Simple MIDI software to test new UF8
Dnj Offline

Is this the right forum for help regrding this problem?
http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdi...e=30&LastLogin=

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-25-2005).]

#143150 - 08/25/05 09:40 AM Re: Simple MIDI software to test new UF8
donnacha Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Is this the right forum for help regrding this problem?

I'm not sure, as I say, I'm new to all of this and find the choice of forum categories here quite bewildering.

I decided to post in this category because it seemed to have a wide variety of questions already posted, stuff like requests for advice on stools etc. I felt that, in particular, the last part of my post (requesting pointers towards some simple MIDI software) would be general enough to be suited to this category.

If you feel there's a better category for my problem, please let me know and I'll delete this and repost there.

#143151 - 08/25/05 09:53 AM Re: Simple MIDI software to test new UF8
Dnj Offline

There are a few people quite learned in the software midi program, controller area here like Frank Rosenthal, Blues Player, so maybe they can guide you in the right direction....Good Luck.

#143152 - 08/25/05 09:55 AM Re: Simple MIDI software to test new UF8
donnacha Offline

I'll post this question there then, thanks Dnj.

#143153 - 08/25/05 10:04 AM Re: Simple MIDI software to test new UF8
donnacha Offline

This question has now been reposted in the "General" area of this forum.

Any advice, here or there, would be very much appreciated.

#143154 - 08/25/05 02:45 PM Re: Simple MIDI software to test new UF8
quietDIN Offline

Please see my response in "General Discussion"

--Barry

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online