SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#143018 - 08/06/05 07:09 AM Typical day with DNJ
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Last Thursday was about as hot as anyone can ever remember in central New Jersey. Mid day temperatures soared to nearly 100 degrees and the humidity topped 85 percent. Stepping out the door was akin to stepping into a sauna--just another fun day in Paradise.

My wife and I drove up to DNJ's from Maryland, an uneventful 3-hour drive at a high rate of speed and fuel consumption. Arriving just before noon, Donny, Nancy, Carol and I headed for a sumptious lunch at a nearby Chinese restaurant.

The food was incredible, and after a feast fit for a king, the ladies went back to DNJ's home, while we took Donny's car and drove about 40 miles up the Garden State Parkway to an Assisted Living Center where he was scheduled to do a 1-hour performance.

Set-up time was about 5 minutes, and by 2 p.m. he was rocking the place with lots of wonderful, upbeat tunes and working the audience like the true professional he is. At 3 p.m. he ended his performance with a round of applause, lots of hugs and kisses from the elderly ladies, and we were back on the road to get ready for the next job.

After a quick stop at his home, and a change of clothes we were headed down the highways to the American Veterans Association hall where he performs to a packed house every Thursday night. The dance begins promptly at 8 p.m., however, Donny and Nancy have everything ready to go by 6:30. Dozens of tables have to be covered, snacks, soda, ice, coffee, and an assortment of other goodies are set up, and this is all taken care of my Nancy.

At the same time, Donny sets up his rig on stage, however, the setup now takes much less time, connections are very uncomplicated and those big, boxy speakers on stands are gone.
[img]http://www.bcpl.net/~keyboard/donny's-rig.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.bcpl.net/~keyboard/donny's-rig-2.jpg[/img]
What a difference. After everything was set up, we took a break, relaxed and got ready for the crowd, which often begins showing up before 7 p.m.. Just enough time for a few photos.

For those who didn't notice, DNJ has lost approximately 100 pounds since I posted photos of us last year, and I've dumped 50 pounds.

Quite a difference, thanks to South Beach Diet.

By 7:30 p.m. the dancefloor was filling with folks who were dancing to Rod Stewart MP3s coming from the Bose PAS, beautiful sounds that filled the entire room. The volume level was nearly equal throughout the large hall, and the master control never exceeded the halfway point. By 8:00 O'Clock the place was packed, lots of attractive, wealthy, elegantly-dressed, elderly ladies were on the prowl, and you couldn't fit another couple on the dancefloor if you had a shoe-horn. The place was really jumping and DNJ was rocking the house.

At 9:00 O'Clock Carol and I reluctantly headed out the door and into the steamy night air to begin the 3-hour journey back home. We arrived just before midnight, answered a few emails and hit the sack. For DNJ, it was just another typical day, not much difference than any other day and tomorrow would be more of the same.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#143019 - 08/06/05 07:17 AM Re: Typical day with DNJ
zuki Offline

Gary,
Thanks for the wonderful picture story Hopefully (someday) I will meet you and others, as I enjoy being part of your lives from this remote location.
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#143020 - 08/06/05 07:24 AM Re: Typical day with DNJ
Dnj Offline

Gary it was a pleasure to get together with you & your lovely wife again for a day full of excitement and music......its was a blast lets do it again soon !!
Here on the Jersey Shore every day is a Party in Paradise

#143021 - 08/06/05 08:27 AM Re: Typical day with DNJ
girljam Offline

Loc: FL
What a nice post, looks like so much fun!!
I always enjoy seeing the setups, and the pics, and sure looks like a happy audience, donny!

thanks for sharing!!

Jill

PSR S970, PSR S910, ShureSM57 mics, and way too much misc.

#143022 - 08/06/05 08:56 AM Re: Typical day with DNJ
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Durn, that place IS packed. Doing something right!

Say, Donny, I note you have that PAS beside you? Not behind you? I thought I'd read where other solo people (not keyboard players) put them behind them a few feet. What can you share about placement? Actually, Gary, as well... I think... didn't you buy one, too?

Yeah, nice writeup.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#143023 - 08/06/05 08:58 AM Re: Typical day with DNJ
Dnj Offline

Oh Yeah Jill..I love this bose no that I have 3 big gigs under my belt....The sound is AWESOME and so room enveloping that Im starting to hear things I never heard before the PAS is by far the Clearest thing I ever experienced in all my years playing. Every instrument stands out on its own and the Vocals tear thru the mix effortlesly, "Fugetabouttit" !!.....
My Bud Uncle Dave told me to "Trust Him On This" system when I had my doubts and as usual he was right all the way
Plus its Soooooo easy to transport too...when most times Im running two gigs a day I need to get out of there and fast!
I'm a happy camper for sure!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-06-2005).]

#143024 - 08/06/05 09:02 AM Re: Typical day with DNJ
Dnj Offline

Bill...
Like I always say, If You got a Killer Product you will always pack em in
Its like a reastaurant.....if the food Sux, You wont come back anymore!
Placement is a personal choice...there is no right or wrong, just set it where your comfortable & your ears say its good.....
Although I did try a few setups,to my right as pictured sounds best for me all around so far.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-06-2005).]

#143025 - 08/06/05 10:21 AM Re: Typical day with DNJ
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

Right or left works for me, and yes, I do place it a little behind, but only a foot or so. Everything depends on the venue and how much room I have to work with. The system is beyond description.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#143026 - 08/07/05 06:08 PM Re: Typical day with DNJ
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Donny and Gary:

Thanks for the great photos, you gents are certainly an inspiration for someone like myself just getting started.

Best wishes and continued success to both of you!

#143027 - 08/07/05 07:47 PM Re: Typical day with DNJ
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Hey Gary....you and Donny both look great..
are you sure it's from the South Beach Diet
or the run off from the North Jersey chemical plants....hehehehe....tell Donny to keep them rich Jersey widows happy...they all love to dance...looking forward to meeting you and the bride Carol this coming Oct....Hell, bring Donny and we'll have a Jam Session...thanks for the great post..good to see Donny doing so well.
Tony Rome

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online