SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#142773 - 09/22/04 12:05 PM What's in the future...?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
A lot has changed recently in the marketplace for entertainment in my area (Kentucky).

For instance, a dozen or more horn players are new to the market. They/re approaching local restaurants and clubs and offering to
play for $75.00, or 1/2 the going rate. They use sequences. A few places have tried these folks out and are taking a long look at whether they shouldn't drop their budgets.

For some reason, there are three or four new blues guitar players doing singles with just guitar and harmonica. Again, they're offering to play for $75.00, and are getting work.

A smoking ban has cost most bars a lot of business. Patios have been busy this summer. but wait staff and bartenders are "crying the blues".

Several large venues have decided to have a different entertainer every night, instead of the same act 3-4 nights. They're not advertising the entertainment, so most working musicians think club owners are just wanting to play talent agent.

What do you working players see changing in your area?

What changes do you see in the near future?

Are your prices holding in your area?

How will availability of new equipment affect your performances and marketability?

Opinions...?

Russ

#142774 - 09/22/04 01:18 PM Re: What's in the future...?
R-F Offline

Loc: Berlin/ Germany
Hi,
QUOTE: What's in the future...
...maybe the same as in Europe. More and more low budgets and better chances for soloists and DJs. More and more using of styles/ MIDI files/ semi playbacks, because real musicians want to be paid.
In Europe, users of arranger keyboards are not the minority and the USA will possibly change: "We have no money" becomes more and more global.
The only winner are ... companies, distributing styles and MIDI files and karaoke CDs and DJ equipment..

------------------
Regards
RF

#142775 - 09/22/04 02:42 PM Re: What's in the future...?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I don't know but all I know is $75 is not enough. Hustling the gigs, buying equipment, maintaining equipment, preparing material, hauling all this crap around and setting up, play, tear down. I mean, even if you're jackin around and not serious, $75 is not much. I've done it but I hate to. I ask for $150 and hope for the best. I wonder how much d.j.'s are getting if giggers are getting $150.

#142776 - 09/22/04 03:26 PM Re: What's in the future...?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Ah, the DJ factor! Here, DJ's with basically
a sound system none of us would use, a double CD player and a $1500.00 trailor are getting $500.00 minimum for outdoor events
like car shows and up to $759 for wedding receptions, family picnics and like events.

Many don't do anything but play music and at some point in the event, turn a microphone over to the event co-ordinator to award door prizes, announce contest winners, etc.

Ain't that a "kick in the head"!

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online