SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#142732 - 10/19/05 04:55 AM Re: Where's the Beef??
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
BlkNotes, perhaps I was being a bit facetious (Nigel, any chance of getting a spell checker attached to this board). I'm aware of the different technologies involved in sound generation. What I meant was that some instruments just seem to sound good and others don't. Doc-Z said it well, "Wave Rom doesn't necessarily equal sound quality", ie. you can't polish a turd. There is no question that large amounts of Wave Rom increases the POTENTIAL for good sound quality but does not garantee it. All of these sounds go through additional processing which introduces many other variables (quality of the effects, filters, etc.) and which contributes heavily to the sound(s) of the instrument. Ultimately, it comes down to how it sounds to you. If it sounds good, buy it. Always worked for me.

chas

#142733 - 10/19/05 05:05 AM Re: Where's the Beef??
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
As they say, it ain't what you've got that matters, its what you do with it.

The Tyros 2 to my ears sounds fabulous. But then so do all the other top-end units.

When I look at a spec sheet I look at features and flexibility. I take sound quality as a given at this end of the market.

For comparison my aging Ensoniq SD1 has all of 1 megabtye (I think, maybe 2!) of ROM dedicated to piano waveforms and it still kicks thingy.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online